1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 124 Starts February 1

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by kcd_swede, Jan 27, 2017.

1. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Chieftain

I've neven known any Poles that tall. However :agree:.
    Could someone do a Gotm/Wotm/Botm where one could crush all the bas...freaks, and not at an impossible difficulty. Putler, Dump, Raping Ragheads and ICBM-Kim for example. Sorry if my characterization offends anyone.
    BTW, guess what this is: :wallbash: ?
    It's Donald Dump trying to get Mexico to pay for that wall.

2. Fippy

Fippy Phoenix

lol..oh dear that's one funny thread.

@ DS edit: actually i tested that out of curiosity, after using xtian mish you found the Reli automatically :)
    But no holy city.

Corp would give extra food at relative high cost, maybe useful for gp farms or Cap?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  3. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

Well, if is perfectly acceptable to play as a leader known for cutting the beating hearts out of slaves, in just about every Civ manifestation from Civ1 to Civ6... I didn't realize this might be worse.
    BTW: I think the leader/theme can be easily ignored; it is mostly just for giggles, and nothing that occurs in a Civ game has any actual relation to any actual events or persons living or dead. Unless you think it fun to draw comparisons, and then, enjoy.

As for the map, the full map upon which this one was made from but was also significantltly altered is publicly available at http://gotm.civfanatics.net/download.php?file=sgotm23.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    I remind everyone of this so SGOTM players do not begin with an unfair advantage. That we honor our dwindling group of SGOTM players in some way, though is not so bad a thing, imo.

...and now I know why our moderator was cringing when this one came out of my evil brain. But he did that with my Saddam Hussein game as well, and that turned out not to have created much stir. So how was I to know. :twitch:
    Too soon, maybe.

4. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

When the most powerful person on earth is an antisocial Neanderthal representing the last bastion of freedom on Earth, yeah, it's a bit worse.
    :vomit:

Furthermore, a lot of us are Americans and it hits home. That cringeworthy POS is an out and out embarrassment and doesn't belong in the same discussion as civilization or humanity.

The Mirror was more than prescient way back when:

Turns out they're DUMBER. INFINITELY DUMBER. If you happen to see an American with a flattened cloud floating around his head, that's an accretion disk.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    High King J.J. likes this.
  5. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Chieftain

KCD, I believe the Saddam Hussein game was made after he was tried, sentenced and hanged by his own people. Just wait until Dump is too, although he can avoid execution by pleading not guilty due to mental defect or disease.

OK, so the SGOTM players start with a fair advantage. That's fair then.
    I'll stop now before I antagonise everyone. (Too late already, maybe.)

6. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

Ignore the photo and leader name at the top of the the thread. I'll be playing as Napoleon--that's an alternate fact.

Aside from the issue that some folks may be very familiar with the (pre-modified) map and the rest of us have no clue about it...am I the only one noticing that there will be 12 AI on this standard size map? That's going to be awfully crowded!

We've been promised many quirks in this game. Could it be that the corporations and religions have all been founded already, to justify the presence of those executives and missionaries? Maybe in a barb city, if not in the AI cities?

Settling 1 SE looks reasonable, but I might go 1 E and sacrifice a turn for an extra hill. I'll scout NE with the warrior before making my decision.

7. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Supporter GOTM Staff

Moderator Action: Enough discussion of the POTUS. Please focus on the game. - AlanH

8. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Good points. I guess it'll be worth a very careful look at the religion and all the other in-game screens when we open the save, before we make any moves.

I also have no clue about the map, but I think I'll leave it that way. It'll be more fun playing to get whatever surprises are laying in wait.

At least, with that prophet and executive, we'll be able to do a lot of early exploring (well, at least for about 3 turns before we need to bring them home to avoid them being eaten by animals)

9. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

Your wish is my command. :)

This is a very interesting and challenging scenario because we start with so many useful resources that we can improve without any new tech and with a crowded map. That means we have to find some balance between growing and improving tiles and building settlers to control land before it's all taken.

10. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Can't you just pretend the executive is... someone... and let it be eaten by a lion or something?

Won't have time to play this, but you obviously need to build the Great Wall :wallbash:

I would hope the rest of the map is virtually unrecognisable, as it would be odd to play a map that many have basically played already.

11. Minou

Minou Chieftain

This is one of the more puzzling games I have seen. At first I thought the executive/missionary would found the headquarters/holy city but seeing that is not the case really changes the game outlook. I tried generating a 4000BC missionary and executive in World Builder just to get an idea how they work without the relevant techs being discovered. The Christian Missionary spread the religion to my capital like normal, but with no holy city. But then when I discovered Meditation, the game let me choose a religion to found (edit: I *think* it will not provide a free missionary if you choose Christianity, but need to verify). This is kind of interesting in that you could race to Meditation or Polytheism if you really wanted that Holy City, (edit: this implies you could in theory steal another religion's Holy City but also needs to be verified) if the AIs are also starting with missionaries. At the very least the missionary is good for a free border pop in the second city.

Unless I am missing something, the executuve seemed like he should be either deleted or used as a "bomb". In my test it cost 70 gold to spread Cereal to my Capital and then I think 16gpt to run the corporation. Since you won't be able to get a headquarters for thousands of years, this would be a terribly inefficient to trade all that gold for a bit of food. Dropping the corp in a neighboring AI could totally cripple their research - though if I recall you have to pay even more to spread the corp to a foreign city. It might be worth the gold to stunt a nearby AI so you can invade at leisure when they still have Archers in 1AD, but even that might create an issue if you want to capture the corp city because you'll have to then assume the costs yourselves. I guess if it is later in the game maybe you can get +10 bonus food out of all the grains and just run enough Merchants to break even in that city with some GPP for the trouble.

Anyway, I am interested to fire up the game and see if the AIs also get missionaries executives and if so, whether they just all kill themselves by founding corps on turn 1.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  12. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

That's interesting. When you did pick Christianity, although you didn't get a missionary, did the game still give you a Holy City? I think knowing that could be an important strategy thing: If you use your missionary, can you still have a Holy city and a shrine later on, or does using the missionary before the religion is properly founded prevent you from ever having a Holy city.

Another thought occurs to me that could use some WorldBuilder testing: If you do later on found a Holy city and a shrine, does the shrine definitely give you gold from the cities that already had the religion before it was founded? Logically, it really ought to, but that's probably not a scenario that would have occurred to the BtS programmers - would they have allowed for it? It would need testing in WB to check whether the game does notice those cities when calculating shrine gold. The same question would apply when founding a corporation: When calculating the income at the headquarters, will the game actually take into account any cities that already had offices before the corporation was founded?

13. Minou

Minou Chieftain

Sorry Deckhand - I botched that post! The two things in bold were things I needed to check - (1) wether you got a missionary if you discovered a tech that yields a "no free missionary religion" but chose a later religion, and (2) wether you could found the holy city of an already-existing religion. I assumed the answers are (1) no and (2) yes but forgot to go back and test before pasting in the post I had written.

Edited to reflect that, I apologize if I caused any confusion.

14. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Can't you just gift the executive? The AI will then presumably spread it to his capital.

15. lymond

lymond Rise Up! Hall of Fame Staff

Well, I guess Swede's idea behind the Executive here is that it is just as nonsensical for this game as ....erm...well...that subject we cannot talk about

16. Dhoomstriker

Dhoomstriker Girlie Builder

The Great Wall was not designed to keep others out. The official story was to prevent raiders from being able to easily carry away stolen loot. The reality is that walls and castles are designed to keep the existing people in.

Think about any time that a castle was raided--the nobles in the castle didn't want all of the workers in the castle fleeing for their lives before the raiders arrived, leaving the castle empty but for the nobles, when those same people could otherwise be forced to stay to defend the castle if the gates of the castle walls were locked up tightly.

If this map is anything like the SGOTM game, then I could see how building a wall could help; rather than eating the unhealthy corporate fast food of our country, people without a wall to keep them in might prefer to flock to the "green AI" to the south (not Monte, but Joao, if the map is like the SGOTM map) who probably has a nicer Sid's Sushi corp (given the Seafood Resources that he had in the SGOTM map) and lovelier beaches.

One part of the SGOTM map that I disliked was the "white AI" to the north being on a separate landmass, making the Culture from that AI prove to be easily ignorable. It would be a nice twist to find out that water to our north became Great Lakes across of which the hosers were easily able to spread their culture and influence our citizens to immigrate to their country.

It will indeed be interesting to see if the Holy Cities already exist on the map and whether or not the Barb City of Jerusalem, which ended up being a magnet for the AIs and thereby handicapped several of the AIs, ended up making the final cut.

It will also be interesting to see if some of the AIs started with Wonders. The F7 and F9 screens will be some of the first screens to visit when opening up the game. It will also be worth keeping an eye on the Corporations screen (Shift + F7) for the first part of the game, since a quick test shows that screen indicating that a Corporation was founded when an AI spreads an Executive into one of their Cities, even though no Corporate HQ appears.

I wonder if each AI who received a Corporate Executive was also given a pre-improved Resource, so that the Executive can actually be used immediately or if we'll have to keep checking back on that screen to see which Corporations get founded over time.

As for giving the Executive away, first of all, who would take him? :0 Even if you could convince an AI to take him, first you'd have to learn Writing in order to Open Borders with that AI, so maybe an Alphabet beeline will be in order here.

Then again, if the map has Warriors for the AIs like the SGOTM map had, a Bronze Working beeline with an Axeman rush or a Animal Husbandry beeline with a Chariot rush might be the better play, assuming that you don't mind being saddled with whatever Corporation or Corporations our nearby neighbouring AIs will have.

Perhaps the Corporate Executive's best use will be as a spawn-buster. "Sit over there in the corner and shut up." ;)

I am curious to see if an AI will get stuck building a Corporate Executive for 100 Hammers (just barely less than the cost of Stonehenge) due to a random build item choice, thereby expanding just as slowly as does an AI who chases after Wonders. Even if the AIs do spread a Corporation to their capitals, we're not likely going to see a lot of Corporate expansion for quite some time, given the high cost of creating Executives and the high cost of founding a Corporate branch, relative to early-game Hammer income and Gold income.

Oh, and don't forget to be overly paranoid about The Apostolic Palace such that we must Close Borders with Islamic countries (The AP was Islamic in our team's SGOTM game and may have been in many other teams' saved games) and even send home anyone who has the potential to be a Missionary. :p