1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 125 - starts 21 Feb

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by neilmeister, Feb 18, 2017.

1. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

BOTM 125: Darius of Persia.

We all love the Persian's... right?
    In this IMMORTAL game, I hope you manage to build some decent units.... (I couldn't resist the awful pun)

Game settings:
    Playing as: Darius of Persia
    Rivals: 6 AIs
    Difficulty: Immortal
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: Choose religions, no goody huts, no random events
    Victory Conditions:
    All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Inland Sea
    World Wrap: None
    Mapsize: Worldsize_standard
    Climate: Climate_temperate
    Sea level: Sealevel_medium

Darius is Organized and Financial, and you start with Agriculture and Hunting.
    The Organized trait gives -50% civic upkeep and double production speed of Courthouse, Factory and Lighthouse

The Financial trait gives +1 commerce on any plot that already has at least 2 commerce

Unique unit: Immortal (replaces Chariot)
    The Immortal benefits from: gets defensive bonuses, and 50% combat bonus against archer units. This compares with the Chariot which has: does not get defensive bonuses.

Unique Building: Apothecary (replaces Grocer)
    The Apothecary is a normal Grocer but with an additional +2 health

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Any espionage-culture victories will NOT be counted as cultural victories.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 21 Feb 2017, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 21 Mar 2017.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.
    While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  2. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Chieftain

Is this a typo or another pun of unknown content?

3. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Looks like the edge of the map up north? Not a ton of production where we start, and settling on the coast opens up trade routes sooner so I'm tempted to move 3W. That should also allow a bit more of a land grab, with the eastern edge more or less safely claimed to our rear. I do so hope we have horsies. Thanks, Neil, for setting up this game.

4. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

It is 100% a typo... fixed

5. Ronnie1

Ronnie1 Chieftain

I think we are SE, with a bit of water to the north of the scout. I don't believe you can be close the water and the edge of the map, it should be 8-10 tiles on all sides.

I am curious as to how much river there is to the south, it may look great 1S of the wheat.

6. Xcalibrator

Ah, you're right, that's coast, not map-edge to the north. Move scout to the coast plains hill, then settler SW and W onto the forest?

7. Fippy

Fippy Phoenix

Settle on Rice, or nope it's not dry?
    But faster start for Immortals, Darius says YAY

8. lymond

lymond Rise Up! Hall of Fame Staff

While I don't think Darius was ever a pirate, if you used "Aye" instead of "Yay", you'd have yourself a nice little rhyming poem there, My ;)

RIP Bill Paxton :(

9. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

It's possibly too late to ask - as doubtless many people have already started the game, but I'm curious why you'd move the settler in that way? If you settle on that forest, you lose access to the pigs, lose a turn moving, destroy a forest, and - if the water to the West really is coast - end up with coast in the BFC but no possibility of building a lighthouse or workboats. I'm struggling to see what the advantage might be. Maybe you could use that to move further, but you still lose a turn, and it seems unlikely that you'll find a spot with as many resources as the starting tile has?

10. Xcalibrator

Sorry, I didn't really finish that thought. The idea was if you decide you'd like to settle on the coast, move to that forest on the way so you get a view to the south, and then decide where to settle.

11. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Ah, OK, that makes more sense, thanks!

12. Xcalibrator

Spoilers, please?