1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 126 - America, Prince - starts 3 March

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Feb 27, 2017.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 126: Washington of America.

You've had a few unusual games the last couple of months, so I figured it was time for a completely normal game. So here you are. A fractal map, virtually unedited. It was going to be completely unedited, but I noticed a couple of bits that some people might have found frustrating, so my generosity overwhelmed my good intentions, and a couple of tiles are slightly modified. Just count yourself lucky that DynamicSpirit's good traits include not just incredibly beauty and intelligence but also amazing kindness.

You're playing as Washington. Political types might like to imagine this is some kind of return to America's pre-Trump roots (y'know, slavery and wars of independence and so on), but actually I chose him because I looked up the history of BOTMs and realized that we've hardly ever used him in a game. So there you are. Have fun! And remember - peace and friendliness and compassion. Man. So make sure you feed any animals you see. And if any Barbarian warriors turn up, they're probably lonely, so you should really try to make them feel welcome and at home in your capital.

Game settings:
    Playing as: Washington of America
    Rivals: 6 AIs
    Difficulty: Prince
    Starting Era: Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: None
    Victory Conditions: All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: **TODO: FILL THIS IN**
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Standard
    Climate: Tropical
    Sea level: Medium

Washington is Expansive and Charismatic, and you start with Fishing and Agriculture.

The Expansive trait gives +2 health/city and +50% hammers for worker production and double production speed of Granary and Harbor

The Charismatic trait gives +1 happiness/city, and -25% experience required for unit promotions

Unique unit: Navy SEAL (replaces Marine)
    The Navy SEAL benefits from: 1-2 first strikes, and free promotions: amphibious and march. This compares with the Marine which has: 0 first strikes, and free promotions: amphibious.

Unique Building: Mall (replaces Supermarket)
    The mall is great for both happiness and gold. Like the supermarket, it gives +1 health from each of cow, deer, pig and sheep. Unlike the supermarket, it also gives +20% gold in the city, as well as +1 happiness for each of hit musicals, hit singles and hit movies. So get singing, dancing and acting! Shame that, due to a technical glitch in the game, you can't build it until you research refrigeration, and not, as I'm sure the game designers intended, agriculture.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories (dunno why we keep telling anyone this. No-one ever goes for espionage-culture victories anyway)

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 3 Mar 2017, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 3 Apr 2017.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

2. haphazard1

haphazard1 Dancing Bear

Looks like it could be fun, DS, thanks!

Mmmmm, tasty wet corn and some mutton. Some hills to think about. Too bad the warrior is off to the west rather than the south, but can't have everything. :lol: There is that goody hut, too....

3. Deckhand

Deckhand Not so nice GOTM Staff

Settle 1S on plains hill?
    lose fresh water health, but it's only Prince
    I'm hoping DS's map changes kept fish from being stranded if we settled wrong place.

Don't pop hut until you've settled the city. Maybe save it for later.

4. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

Yup.... everything to gain, almost nothing to lose

5. haphazard1

haphazard1 Dancing Bear

Well, fresh water (probably). But it is only Prince, and an extra lighthouse food from the lake should offset that.

6. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Spoiler threads are now up

7. Deckhand

Deckhand Not so nice GOTM Staff

One week to go; let's see if I can make time to play and finish.
    I usually try to submit incomplete games, but there have been some recent botms that I started and didn't even get to 1AD.
    DS forgot to replace "**TODO: FILL THIS IN**" with "Fractal". And the community forgot to complain about events being enabled. :mischief:

8. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

Whoa... flashbacks... either I ate the wrong kind of gummibear, or this was ancient history in a previous lifetime. I hope I remembered to submit in my current incarnation-
    OK, I get it, the GOTM's have alonger UBD than the BOTM's. :grouphug: