1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] NEWS: BOTM 128 -- Starts April 1

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by kcd_swede, Mar 27, 2017.

1. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

BOTM 128: Purple Reign

No politics, just good clean fun. You play as Team Purple against 7 other teams of different colors. A Pangea map with some stuff for the April Fools (still all civilizations start on the same landmass). Your neighbors are generally peaceful personalities, so you will probably only be in wars if you choose to be. Have fun!

Note: Espionage culture victories will count as normal culture victories for this game. ;)

Game settings:
    Playing as: Team Purple - (with characteristics of Ghandi of India)
    Rivals: 7 AI
    Difficulty: Noble
    Starting Era: Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: no huts, no events
    Victory Conditions:
    All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Pangea
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Standard

Your traits: Spiritual & Philosophical.

Spiritual: No anarchy.
    Double production speed of Temples and the Cristo Redentor wonder.

Philosophical: Great People birth rate increased 100 percent.
    Double production speed of University.

and you start with knowledge of Mysticism, and Mining

Unique unit Fast Worker
    Replaces worker, gets 3 movement instead of 2

Unique building Mauseleum; Replaces Jail
    +4
    +50%
    +2
    -25% War
    Can turn 2 citizens into spy

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Adventurer Class bonuses:

N/A

Challenger Class Equalizers:

N/A

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 1 April 2017, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save here: http://gotm.civfanatics.net/civ4games/index.php?month=70128

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 1 May 2017.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.[/h2]

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! Hall of Fame Staff

Zombie Prince is a Trump supporter:mischief:

I think the first April's Food joke here is this start :D

3. kcd_swede

What Prince are you talking about... I thought I set this game at Noble level? :joke:

4. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Chieftain

Screenshot shows we're at a stupid place for a capital. All that saltwater. Mapmakers are :evil:.

I'm guessing there's a Green Drazi Reich somewhere on the other side of the continent. Maybe Aztecs, they are green by default. (Babylon 5 anyone? Episode The Geometry of Shadows with the Green and Purple Drazis...)
    I believe it's acceptable to wish luck for other players, for example by saying "Break a leg!"

This should be allowed unless certain unmentionable person has changed his skin or hairpiece color to green. However I can't mention a classic Battlestar Galactica bluff with the "Purple and Orange Squadrons" due to obvious reasons. I hope this pun doesn't turn anyone purple.

5. Deckhand

Deckhand Not so nice GOTM Staff

SIP for all the clams. Plains hill provides canal and more production but no food.

6. Dhoomstriker

Dhoomstriker Girlie Builder

We can already see from the starting screenshot that "on the same landmass" could mean a really windy, curvy amount of land. I wouldn't be surprised to find an AI blocked by Peaks and Iceburgs, thereby meeting your definition but not being easily conquerable.

In a map that I generated myself, it could have been worth the loss of one turn to send the Settler 1 NW, just to check for more seafood. But, I suspect that there won't be more, or else the Map Maker would have been kind enough to reveal it to us, to help us to make the decision between even more Food and the Hills squares.

Still, we can move the Warrior 1 NW G For at first, just to see if there is, say, a Grassland Pig at 2 NW of the Warrior, to help with justifying moving the Settler 1 NW G For. If such a G Pig exists, we could even settle 1 W G on the first turn, switching a Clam for a Pig and still having 3 Hills squares for production.

There isn't an overabundance of Forests, so perhaps we'll be lucky and have Copper and/or Horses nearby. :)

When I saw the Purple headline, I was hoping that we'd have a game as the Sumerians. Ah well, Gandhi is a strong Leader as which to play.

As for what to build first, for seafood starts, I often like to build a Warrior until Fishing comes in, build a Work Boat, and then switch to working two 1 F + 2 H squares at Size 2. That option doesn't exist here, so I suppose that it'll be Worker first with the Worker's first task being to improve a PH square with a Mine, to help with producing our first Work Boat quickly. After the first Work Boat has been completed, switch to working a Clams square, and then probably work a Clams square plus the PH Mine at Size 2, to help with completing the second Work Boat. It'll be a slow start, but the extra Commerce from Coastal seafood Resources does help in getting to some of the important earlier techs a bit sooner.

Don't forget to build yourself a Galley at some point, if for no other reason than to defend against Barb Galleys! ;)

7. kcd_swede

"I suspect that there won't be more, or else the Map Maker would have been kind enough to reveal it to us"
    It is not even April, but the Fool's are being heard. I can neither confirm nor deny the degree of evil in a mapmaker's heart.:satan:

8. kcd_swede

The mapmaker reveals his secrets:

You will face Team Peach, Team Orange, Team Dark Indigo, Team Cyan, Team Green, Team Black, and Team Yellow. This is classified info, do not forward.:viking:

9. Deckhand

Team Peach? Is that from US Georgia or the Caucasus?

Hey everyone, you don't need to wait for 1 April to play Civ4 - you can start my GOTM129 on Friday 31 March!

10. kcd_swede

Yes, very juicy either way, but watch out for the pit.
    Amd very nice with the cheap plug for your own game... which I will play because I cannot play this one. :smoke:

11. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

:thumbsup: to the title and Great Artist :)

Haven't played GOTM for a while, have played a few HoF games since coming back, but have sniffed around, so maybe time to dive in? We'll see. I'm partially colour blind, so if I DOW the wrong guys... oops!

12. lymond

lymond Rise Up! Hall of Fame Staff

My guesses are the Georgian Celts, Carthage, Khmer, Persia, Ethiopia (purest green), Black? Byz?, Egypt

13. Deckhand

Maybe some; But the map maker knows how to edit the worldbuilder file - he could have :evil: changed the colors of all the civs. He certainly edited their names.
    Let's open it now and see.

Spoiler OTOH :
    edit, on the other hand,
    if DynamicSpirit were the map maker, he would have changed the colours.

14. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Oh dear, is my reputation getting that bad? :D

15. DynamicSpirit

By the way, looking at the terrain, I'm thinking about an opening of heavily delaying building a worker: Instead build two, maybe even 3, workboats first while researching bronze working. Use them to grow to size 4 and whip the worker. Or maybe even research sailing and whip a lighthouse first, followed by a worker a few turns later (with 3 fishing nets and a lighthouse, re-growing to size 4 after a whip will be very quick). Delays the first worker a bit, but with the reward being that you then have a capital that can pump out workers and settlers very quickly, quite early on.

16. Deckhand

^ I was only trying to make a jest about the spelling of color/colour. :groucho:

17. DizzKneeLand33

DizzKneeLand33 Master Of Puppets

Hmmmmm.... So, since I cannot get my Win 10 computer to be able to use Buffy sufficiently for the HOF (and no one can seem to help me there -- Buffy works, but tells me all games don't qualify for HOF), I'm back to the old laptop to try to play this. However, I'm getting an error when trying to open the file and then the game immediately crashes. Is there something wrong with the file currently on the site? I used to play a few years ago and had no issues like this. Any help is appreciated!

18. DizzKneeLand33

DizzKneeLand33 Master Of Puppets

Never mind, it was a Steam issue -- my computer was using the Steam version again after one of it's million updates instead of the original Steamworks version -- see you on the other side!

19. DynamicSpirit

I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the file on the site, as I know a few people have finished playing the game. A few thoughs:

Regarding your Win10 computer - I'm guessing the problem is a security issue. If so, the simplest way to solve it is to have the BtS executable run with admin rights. Find the file on your file system (it'll be Civ4BeyondSword.exe in the folder you installed Civ to. On my computer it's C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\Civ\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe, but it won't be the same path on your system because I installed to a custom folder). Right click on it, select Properties, then Compatibility, then make sure Run this Program as Administrator is checked.

Regarding your laptop, in my experience the most common thing that causes GOTM games to crash on opening is if you haven't installed both the Buffy mod AND the 3.19 patch. So make sure you've installed both of them. (Have you installed the Buffy mod on your laptop but not the patch)? If that's not the problem, I'd simply try reinstalling civ.

(EDIT: OK, cross-post with you. I see you solved it anyway. Enjoy the game!)