1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 130, Prince Abraham, starts May 1

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Not so nice GOTM Staff

BOTM 130: Honest Abe of America.

Hard Prince. No early conquests this game. AIs start with extra settler(s), some machine guns and cash. But have no fear as your unique unit gives a bonus against machine guns.

Game settings:
    Playing as: Honest Abe of America
    Rivals: 6 AIs
    Difficulty: Prince
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: City culture-flipping after conquest, no tech brokering, no vassal states, no goody huts
    Victory Conditions:
    All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Lakes
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Worldsize_standard
    Climate: Climate_temperate
    Sea level: Sealevel_medium

Honest Abe is Philosophical and Charismatic, and you start with Fishing and Agriculture.
    The Philosophical trait gives +100% great people birth rate and double production speed of University

The Charismatic trait gives +1 happiness/city, and -25% experience required for unit promotions

Unique unit: Navy SEAL (replaces Marine)
    The Navy SEAL benefits from: 1-2 first strikes, and free promotions: amphibious and march. This compares with the Marine which has: 0 first strikes, and free promotions: amphibious.
    Both provide +50% vs Machine Guns and Artillery.

Unique Building: Mall (replaces Supermarket)
    Like supermarket gets +1:health: from cows, deer, pigs, and sheep. But also provides +20% :gold: and +1 :happy: from Hit Musicals, Hit Singles, and Hit Movies

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 1 May 2017, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 1 Jun 2017.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.
    While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

2. Deckhand

"hard" Prince settings options:
    City culture-flipping after conquest - this means city can flip back to original owner, should make game harder
    no tech brokering - you can trade freely/safely but can't trade what you get in return; since human is better tech trader perhaps a disadvantage; but human will be better able to take advantage of it
    no vassal states - makes conquest/domination harder
    no goody huts - wouldn't help human much and AIs have enough advantages anyway
    yes events - sometimes they are fun and it's a weird game anyway

starting units and machine guns - you will have to play to see how many

starting money - lots more than the human player

map - unchanged, except I changed your starting location to a hill; your crappy land is another challenge

game concept provided by nocho
    oops :blush:, I inadvertently ignored this advice:
    ---
    As posted in botm127 results, suggestions for future games are always welcome.

3. nocho

nocho Chieftain

I'll play it. :D If it's no fun, be glad I'm not a regular mapmaker. :p

4. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Looking at the starting area, I see no reason not to settle in place. And it looks very unlikely that the warrior could possibly find anything to change that view on the first turn. It's almost tempting to settle before moving the warrior :D

Since I normally go for space and rarely do ultra-early conquering, I don't think the unusual settings are likely to change much for me in the early game. Machine guns defending cities can't stop you worker-stealing or pillaging, and hopefully the AI won't have enough machine guns to defend all their cities :) Guess I'll have to wait until cannon, or maybe cavalry, to get any AI capitals though. That may mean more science and less warring in the early AD years.

Can spies steal gold? If so, I wonder if that might be worthwhile if the AI has loads of it :gold:

:goodjob: Deckhand on being a lot more punctual than me!

5. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

Nocho forgot to stipulate all AIs Creative. :mwaha: And 18 AIs instead of 6. Now that would be humbling. Maybe even try it on Settler.

Hm...maybe not too late for the mapmaker to fix that though....

6. Deckhand

@LC, the picture is for you.

7. Minou

Minou Chieftain

Will there be a Mac version? I'm still working on the last BOTM so no rush, just wanted to alert the staff there are still Mac Civ IV players in existence.

8. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

Old-fashioned comes in and out of fashion and so do I.

9. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Does this mean it works like for normal cities, in that you get the first revolt 'free', and on the second the city flips back to its previous owner?

Looking at the picture, I can't decide whether to move the warrior NW or SE. But as SIP is probably the only move here, maybe it wouldn't matter much.

10. DynamicSpirit

I don't think that is how it works for 'normal' cities. If I recall correctly, the first revolt is usually free, and after that there is an increasing chance with each revolt that the city will flip to whoever has the dominant culture there (usually the previous owner, but not necessarily so). So you could have two or even 3 revolts without the city flipping, but if you keep having revolts and don't do anything about it, then eventually it will flip.

But to answer your question - yes, I think the 'city flipping after capture' option means that captured cities will behave exactly like other cities with regard to flipping.

11. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Supporter GOTM Staff

So sorry. I missed this one. It's uploaded now.

12. Minou

Minou Chieftain

Thanks AlanH!

13. WastinTime

WastinTime Chieftain Supporter

It's 'encouragement' like this that always makes me want to play. (for early conquest of course.)

14. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Funny quick test. How many warriors do you need to beat a fortified MG on flatland?
    Spoiler :
    44 :D

Probably not the best early game rush strategy.

(Can probably vary a lot, as you have absolutely lousy odds of winning a single combat round.

15. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

WT probably knows how to cut that in half... :p

16. WastinTime

WastinTime Chieftain Supporter

half? how about zero?
    Note: Pangaea didn't say the MG was in a city.
    To 'beat' a fortified MG on flat land, you simply capture that AI's last city and the MG disappears!
    Now, I just need to figure out how to get the MG to leave the city.

How many warriors does it take to block a MG from returning to a city? 3.

17. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

It was in a flatland city. Figured a hill city would be a little too silly. Only 20% culture too. Hill, 60%, promotions (OP doesn't say anything about that...), and it's a different ballgame.

Tempting to try this game now, though I won't be trying something as risky as WT appears to be contemplating.

18. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

Mapmaker gave us gold to ensure we didn't roam before settling. The best way to capture those MG cities is via culture. Use Philo to spam Artists. yeeeehhhhaaaawwwwwwwwwwww

19. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

Btw, nocho, good game idea. :goodjob:

20. DynamicSpirit

He he! I have to admit I'm surprised that even 44 can do it - I'd assumed that each warrior would do basically zero damage, so you'd have to have thousands of them to defeat the MG. If 44 do it, that implies each warrior is doing just under 0.5 damage on average to the machine gun.

Well done on conducting what must've been quite a tedious test to set up!

I think my strategy will be: Hope that each AI only has a couple of machine guns and is silly and uses them to sometimes defend bad cities instead of the really good ones, capture every non-machine-gun-defended city, pillage the chosen victims into nothing, and wait till cannons arrive to capture the last few cities.