[BTS] News: BOTM 137: Germany, Immortal - Starts Aug 15

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff

BOTM 137: Frederick of Germany.

Immortal level. Crowded map. Need I say more? The one thing in your favour is that there's copper underneath the settler. Good luck! Just don't come crying to me if you get defeated. After all, it's an immortal level game. What do you expect?

Game settings:
Playing as: Frederick of Germany
Rivals: 4 AIs
Difficulty: Immortal
Starting Era: Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: No goody huts, no random events
Victory Conditions: All enabled

Map settings:
Map: Great plains
World Wrap: Cylindrical
Mapsize: Small
Climate: Temperate
Sea level: Medium

Frederick is Philosophical and Organized, and you start with Hunting and Mining.

The Philosophical trait gives +100% great people birth rate and double production speed of University

The Organized trait gives -50% civic upkeep and double production speed of Courthouse, Factory and Lighthouse

Unique unit: Panzer (replaces Tank)
The Panzer benefits from: 50% combat bonus against armor units. This compares with the Tank which has: no directly comparable benefits.

Unique Building: Assembly Plant (replaces Factory)
But the assembly plant can turn 4 citizens into engineers, as against 2 for the factory.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 15 Aug 2017, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 15 Sep 2017.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

By the way the 'copper' label is so you don't forget where the copper is at the start of the game. If you get fed up with it later on, hit ALT+S and then click on that tile to remove it (the label that is, not the actual copper).

Scout SE,E; then Settler (aka "copper" [not really worth renaming him as he will be "spent" on turn 1]) SE,E for 2 pigs and fresh water. (I think I will name the scout "horses".

OTOH, where should scout move to provide information that might change my mind regarding settling SE,E?

Map: Great plains
World Wrap: Cylindrical
Cylindrical Great Plains? Is this intentional and correct? I'm guessing there's no circumnavigation bonus for the one who proves the plains are round?

@Deckhand: the text "copper" is a label on the terrain, not a name of the unit on the terrain.

Cylindrical Great Plains? Is this intentional and correct? I'm guessing there's no circumnavigation bonus for the one who proves the plains are round?

Yes, cylindrical is correct. It means that on this particular great plains map, you can circle the World E-W, just as you can on a typical sea-based map. I'm fairly sure the circumnavigation bonus works the same way too, though - though if this is a typical great plains map (and I haven't edited it in some secret evil way), it's more likely to require a land unit (the scout?), not a sea-unit to prove the World is round.

I leave it to you to decide whether on a great-plains map, the +1 movement for boats is worth having ;)

I like to name my copper mine city Copperopolis.
This game I will name my capital Dalaskogen.
Ah, I thought this wasn't a reference to the law enforcement in 2 languages (copper in British and polis på Svenska).:rolleyes:
Dalaskogen? Is there going to be a city of Silverhöjd nearby? Beware of felling trees there...:p

Anybody going for a Panzer rush? :lol:

Btw, aren't Great Plains maps relatively large, so 4 AIs on a Small map doesn't necessarily make it crowded?

Btw, aren't Great Plains maps relatively large, so 4 AIs on a Small map doesn't necessarily make it crowded?
I agree, however only
if this is a typical great plains map (and I haven't edited it in some secret evil way)
Since mapmakers are by definition :evil: I would guess editing has taken place. And immortal level AI does expand rather fast so it's going to be crowded, fast.
Edit: I might try a Panzer rush if I were alive. Which is about as unlikely as a non-:evil: mapmaker.

Btw, aren't Great Plains maps relatively large

Great Plains is the smallest map. That's why all of the best Duel Conquests are on Great Plains.

On a flat map, lots of great food and forests on the east side, but all the gold/silver on the far west side in a huge mountain range. Now those 2 sides are joined :thumbsup: Looks like the settler starts on west the edge of the big forest. West of that is likely just plains, cows and no forests (barring any mapmaker monkey business). Take a look at a sample map if you're not familiar with GP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom