1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 142 Results and Congratulations

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Dec 13, 2017.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Prince level should be relatively easy - and on this game, you had a generous start (once you'd cleared away all the jungle :evil:). But even so, I wasn't expecting what Dhoomstriker achieved: A pre-1700AD space win: 1675AD to be precise - meaning that Dhoomstriker arrived at Alpha Centauri on the same year that, in real life, the Greenwich observatory was only just having its foundation stones laid - and the Royal Society had only existed for 15 years! In fact, in 1675AD, no one even knew of the existence of Uranus or Neptune!

Dhoomstriker's early win gains him the fastest space award, the gold medal, and - even more astonishingly, the cow award (12K base score).

Fastest conquest (1240 AD - and the silver medal) went to Jovan Kukic, while hhhawk picked up bronze with a 1660AD domination, meaning that all three medals this time went to very long-standing players. hhhawk however was beaten in speed to domination by non other than Deckhand - who won fastest domination in 1250AD, quite an impressive date. Maybe we need to re-think Deckhand's 'nice guy' image? kcd_swede picked up fastest cultural victory (1806AD, comfortably ahead of NobleZarkon, the only other player to go for culture), while afker picked up the fastest diplo award (1894AD) as the only player who won a diplo victory. And in a somewhat unusual result - we had a rare time victory - from donsig.

Since in this game you were playing as the ghost of Jacob de Marlaye, I should also give a special mention to MarleysGh0st, who, playing as himself, won domination with a very respectable date of 1555AD.

Summary of Medal Winners:

Dhoomstriker: 1675 AD Spaceship Victory, 264,848 points.

Jovan Kukic: 1240 AD Conquest Victory, 225,892 points.

hhhawk: 1660 AD Domination Victory, 223,677 points.

Fastest Finish Award Winners:

deckhand: 1250 AD Domination Victory, 169,887 points.

kcd_swede: 1806 AD Cultural Victory, 84,521 points.

afker: 1894 AD Diplomatic Victory, 60,396 points.

Other Award Winners:

UB40: 1690 AD Conquest Victory, 94,825 points.

greatbeyond: 1950 AD Domination Victory, 23,284 points.

NobleZarkon: 1872 AD Cultural Victory, 19,236 points.

pious_pete: 1971 AD Spaceship Victory, 13,532 points.

>> See the full results here.
    >> See the updated global rankings here.
    >> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
    >> You can see and compare graphic replays of all the submissions here.
    >> Award symbols are listed here.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  2. DynamicSpirit

Here's where everyone settled.

The Small Print:
    The numbers by each player's name indicate the turn settled on (starting turn is 0). Players are colour coded by game class (challenger=red, adventurer=blue). Symbols indicate victory condition, if there's no symbol then the player either retired or was defeated. The yellow border indicates the land that was visible at the start of the game.

3. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

Congrats Dhoom - gold with Space!

Jovan - did you win Conquest and Domination same turn and the RNG gave you conquest and me fastest Dom? (or was I really fastest?)

In January, I want everyone playing SGOTM25, so that I can get the gold medal unopposed. ;)
    fifth place, not even close this game - and I was trying

4. Deckhand

ooo, donsig got a Time Victory :cool:

5. DynamicSpirit

Oh thanks! I had been intending to comment on that in the results post, but for some reason missed it off. Sorry donsig! I've now edited the post to mention it.

6. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

Thank you mapmaker for a fun game. Sorry NobleZarkon that I switched from a Domination attempt to try for corporate culture... it was real life pressures that made me switch to get game finished.

7. Jovan Kukic

Jovan Kukic Chieftain

Yes, you're right, same turn, I checked now. If random gave me Domination, I would get your award :)

8. Deckhand

And Ronnie1 would have gotten fastest Conquest

9. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

Thanks! It was a bit difficult adapting to that outrageous French accent, though. ;)

Looking at the results, I'm wondering if hhhawk was another case of a simultaneous Conquest and Domination win, only in this case with the RNG giving him Domination? I can't imagine any other scenario where he'd have a later victory date, but nearly twice my score.

And looking at the global rankings, I have to remark on my 5th place standing, which is as high as I've ever been. Remarkable, really, since I rarely place that high in any individual game. I'll have to credit my obsessive mediocrity. :D