1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 143 starts November 19

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

BOTM 143: Mehmed the meh of Ottomans.

Mehmed II of the Ottomans hasn't starred in an xotm since Aug 2013 which was his third WOTM appearance. His only BOTM as player was July 2013. Mehmed the meh really isn't meh at all. Half price granary, lighthouse, courthouse (and more) and civics is pretty sweet. And the unique building and unit are pretty good as well.
    No map edits were made. AI civs all have something in common. Only one other civ on your continent; you can meet the others with workboats. Barbarians don't have any techs but they could still be a problem if you aren't prepared. Map save may be delayed as only one day of discussion so you can start play on Sunday. Sorry I'm late.

Game settings:
    Playing as: Mehmed the meh of Ottomans
    Rivals: 5 AIs
    Difficulty: Immortal
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: No goody huts, no random events
    Victory Conditions:
    All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Big and Small
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Worldsize_small
    Climate: Climate_temperate
    Sea level: Sealevel_medium

Mehmed the meh is Expansive and Organized, and you start with The Wheel and Agriculture.
    The Expansive trait gives +2 health/city and +25% hammers for worker production and double production speed of Granary and Harbor

The Organized trait gives -50% civic upkeep and double production speed of Courthouse, Factory and Lighthouse

Unique unit: Janissary (replaces Musketman)
    The Janissary benefits from: 25% combat bonus against melee units, 25% combat bonus against archer units, 25% combat bonus against mounted units. This compares with the Musketman which has: no directly comparable benefits.

Unique Building: :cool: Hammam (replaces Aqueduct)
    Provides 2 :) in addition to Aqueduct's 2 :health:

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

Adventurer Class bonuses:
    Immortal is too hard for you, and Emperor level is a stretch; so you get to play at Monarch level.

Challenger Class Equalizers:
    Barbarians don't start with any techs.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 19 Nov 2017, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 22 Dec 2017.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.
    While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  2. nocho

nocho Chieftain

Interesting you should announce a BOTM in the SGOTM forum. ;)

Looks fun anyway!

3. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Think i would move 1w (and probably settle there), painful being exp and no 3h tile in sight ;)
    15t worker vs 10t..giving up fresh water is certainly less problematic with expansive too.

4. Dhoomstriker

Dhoomstriker Girlie Builder

It's a clever way to prove that there are enough players who are seriously camping out this sub-forum who can recruit enough teammates to be able to justify running yet another SGOTM. :)

This suggestion does sound good. It does, however, leave open your first move with the Settler.
    I.e. Should the Settler move:
    A] 1 N G Pig, 1 SW PH or
    B] 1 SW Flood Plains, 1 N PH?

To the Pig means revealing more Forested squares, although I'm not certain that there is a Forest on the square that is 1 NE of the G Pig (2 N of the Lake).

One could even burn a turn to move to one of those squares (1 NW, 1 N, or 1 NE of the G Pig) to see if there's something better to partner with the G Pig, and if not, return to your suggested PH square for only the cost of 1 turn.

The Warrior could even help out to reveal a couple of more squares in the north via his second turn of movement, before you'd have to decide where to send the Settler.

To the Flood Plains square has the possibility of revealing a Hills square that is a little bit further away, which might then open up the idea of settling 1 NW of that Flood Plains square (1 SW + 1 W of the G Pig) if a 3-Hammer square gets revealed or if that square that is 1 NW of the Flood Plains square ends up being a square where you'd get 2 Hammers from the City Centre, say, Plains Ivory (where Ivory is a reasonably-common Resource for Mehmed to start with in his big fat cross).

5. Deckhand

:eek:
    It is a very very rare xotm that I don't make a mistake in the creation process. Was going to say this was a first, but I now recall making this same error once before. I've asked leif to fix.

Regarding settling discussion - do you like the mystery or would you prefer I had revealed more tiles?

6. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

probably worth a turn to check the area, even though i've not had good fortune in the past. with a random map, i'd be suprised if there is nothing else close by- we'll see.
    i do like the mystery... leaves more varied strategies than if optimum is evident from the start.

7. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Chieftain

-Going to play this?
    -Meh.

8. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Thank you, DH! I feel like we should have an appreciative celebration for the timely arrival of this game. A thanksgiving of some sort.

9. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

Thanks for offering an Adventurer Class start!

10. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

Cartoonists were the original boob jobbers.

11. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

With whom are you conversing? Oh, never mind. There are two me's in Mehmed. :)

12. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

So the question is, how to win space in the BCs, right?

13. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

But that's easy isn't it? Don't you just research up to fusion, build a spaceship, and make sure you launch it at least 11 turns before 1AD? Or am I missing something?

14. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Chieftain

Meh.

One definition concerns your comment about multiple me(h)'s:
    "Definition---
    Indifference; to be used when one simply does not care; know how they are feeling; to feel nothing. ‘Meh’s can be strung together to highlight the intensity and severity of the unknown non-feeling(s). In this scenario the recipient of the meh meh meh syndrome can be mistakenly perceived as ‘depressed’."
    Maybe this is[offtopic] but very much on topic with the image of this BOTM. Also expresses my feelings on this BOTM. Maybe doesn't do so with perfect clarity but... meh.

15. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Chieftain

:scan: Actually gives +25% :hammers: for worker production, as you can see looking at the starting screenshot.
    I guess nobody bothers to update the ancient Civ4 info center to include the BtS changes to civics.

16. Deckhand

Thanks for the correction.
    That text is extracted by DS's awesome tool that helps create the announcement thread (as well as the where-y'all-settled and more).
    I've fixed it above, but doubt we can be bothered to always make sure it is correct - meh.

17. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

I follow this discussion with a very passionate.... Meh.:shake: