[BTS] News: BOTM 144 starts December 9th

Deckhand

Procrastination at its finest
GOTM Staff

BOTM 144: Hannibal Builder of Carthage.

Coal for Christmas and The Race to the Levee. Grumpy map maker has turned all the copper and iron to coal. Map maker's Challenge: have earliest victory with a city with a levee.

Hannibal has only starred once in botm (March 2008) (six times in wotm). His financial trait is good for a game where you are challenged to tech to Steam Power.

For those going to Space: to slightly mitigate the advantage of those lucky enough to pop metals from a mine, you will be able to find some copper and iron once you have astronomy.

This game addresses these comments from some players:
  • usually don't play lower level games unless something unusual
  • map maker should provide any special challenges
  • desire for shorter games
Builder Reward for earliest victory that includes a city with a levee.

Game settings:
Playing as: Hannibal Builder of Carthage
Rivals: 6 AIs
Difficulty: Monarch
Starting Era:
Classical
Speed: Normal
Options: No goody huts, no random events
Victory Conditions:
All enabled

Map settings:
Map: Tectonics
World Wrap: Cylindrical
Mapsize: Worldsize_standard
Climate: Climate_temperate
Sea level: Sealevel_medium

Hannibal Builder is Financial and Charismatic, and you start with Mysticism, Meditation, Polytheism, Priesthood, Monotheism, Fishing, The Wheel, Agriculture, Pottery, Sailing, Writing, Hunting, Mining, Archery, Masonry, Animal Husbandry and Bronze Working.
Note, AIs and Barbarians also start with these techs.

The Financial trait gives +1 commerce on any plot that already has at least 2 commerce

The Charismatic trait gives +1 happiness/city, and -25% experience required for unit promotions; also +1 happiness for monument or broadcast tower

Unique unit: Numidian Cavalry (replaces Horse Archer)
The Numidian Cavalry benefits from: base strength = 5, free promotions: flanking1, and 50% combat bonus against melee units. This compares with the Horse Archer which has: base strength = 6.
:lol: not very useful when AIs won't be able to build melee units

Unique Building: Cothon (replaces Harbor)
+1 Trade Route in addition to Harbor's 50% trade route yeild and +1 :health: per seafood
now, that is useful and available sooner with later start
earning the Cothon the picture which represents the civ

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 9 Dec 2017, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 11 Jan 2018.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.
While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

oops, title is wrong - game starts Dec 9
:thanx:

I think, The three ancient religions will be randomly discovered around turn 6.

The only map changes were a) the replacement of copper and iron with coal. BTW, there wasn't any copper/iron in starting screen shot; any coal was there from the start. And b) the addition of copper/iron islands.

To aid builders, you have some space to expand before you share borders with a neighbor.

There is one other twist: be careful with your diplomacy.

Sorry I am so late. ;)

Last edited:
Did you mean foodless plains space, desert space or outer space? :shifty:
You are right, from screen shot looks like plains and desert.
I don't quite recall, it might have been tundra and ice, perhaps jungle. Any of those should slow down your neighbors. ;)

I really should edit my maps to add more food and rivers. :p

Obvious hop onto PH is obvious. Hopefully, horsies have not been turned into coal. Numids may still have viability on this level even with late start.

I really should edit my maps to add more food and rivers. :p
Or not use Tectonics script. ;)

Obvious hop onto PH is obvious. Hopefully, horsies have not been turned into coal. Numids may still have viability on this level even with late start.
That looks pretty good even game is suggesting it. Move scout SE SE and archer SW first.
Horsies horsies everywhere, but not in visible land or you would see them.
Starting with worker and techs - what should worker do? mine? cottage? chop out a workboat?

The Numidian Cavalry benefits from: base strength = 5, free promotions: flanking1, and 50% combat bonus against melee units. This compares with the Horse Archer which has: base strength = 6.
:lol: not very useful when AIs won't be able to build melee units

So Monty isn't one of our opponents, right? Or Sitting Bull? (coz they still can build melee units!)

Wondering where to settle. If this was an ancient start, then 1W on the plains hill would be the obvious choice, to get the worker built 2 turns quicker (and the potential for a bit more food if there's any hidden in the West). But not sure how the benefits of that work out when we already start with a worker.

Well, Deck, we know there's at least a coupla FPs to the left - maybe 3. Possibly food 1SW of PH may determine worker move. I might consider chopping a second worker first, then wbs > settler.

I forget if classical starts open up Barb HA spawn, but we should be safe a short bit with the Archer. Barb HAs would be hell though without metals.

DS - I think early 2nd worker could be a good move here...main reason is we have all the worker techs so getting stuff up quicker and road to new city is nice - if needed.

NCs still not a bad option without melees..I actually go the flank route with them and Char helps a lot.

I think, The three ancient religions will be randomly discovered around turn 6.
I ran two tests. I got Hinduism the first time and nothing the second. Major RNG factor going there. About 3 in 7 players will start off with religion and all the trappings that go with that.

Do you feel lucky?
Guess I should have left events on. ;) [or pre assigned religions as the more responsible map makers have done]

I wonder how many will play my challenge?

Participation has been trending up. Maybe I can reverse that.
botm135 thru botm142: 10, 12, 6, 9, 10, 13, 14, 18

I ran two tests. I got Hinduism the first time and nothing the second. Major RNG factor going there. About 3 in 7 players will start off with religion and all the trappings that go with that.
As LC further points out
WIth OrgRel on t0 and religion on t6, the capital will build the granary, lighthouse, barracks, stable, library, and any wonders with +25% hammers. That's game breaking. No point in playing on after t6 without religion.
I will fix this later tonight by settling 3 AIs and giving them religion.

BtS Game of the Month number 144? eww, Gross!

The game has been changed from the announcements. One turn has been played. The AIs settled their cities and were all gifted religion.
I moved your starting units to what seemed reasonable tiles to explore. Moved settler onto the hill. So, moved archer NW to see more sea.
I added a nice long river thru your "foodless plains space" to the south. Also added an easter egg for LC.
Spoiler new start :

upload_2017-12-8_1-39-53.jpeg

On further refliection, it also required 1t of revolt to switch to the religion. There would also be negmods with Ais in different religion, so there was some downside to getting the hammer bonus, but I still think those with religion would have a game-breaking advantage, so smart move, Deckhand. :goodjob:

There's still a CoL beeline for anyone who wants the the 25% hammer bonus... ;)

BtS Game of the Month number 144? eww, Gross!

The game has been changed from the announcements. One turn has been played. The AIs settled their cities and were all gifted religion.
I moved your starting units to what seemed reasonable tiles to explore. Moved settler onto the hill. So, moved archer NW to see more sea.
I added a nice long river thru your "foodless plains space" to the south. Also added an easter egg for LC.
Spoiler new start :
Well, with 6 AI each having a religion, and 7 religions in the game.. my experience as mapmaker with non-ancient starts is that about turn 6 the player (or opponent) will get the 7th religion for free. I say this because if you only give out 3 religions to prevent random disturbnces, there are still 3 religions handed out by the game (even when the tech for that religion is not known).... I had to hand out all religions to prevent random spawn. That said... no guarantees the last religion goes to the player... an AI could get 2. Just saying. Meh.

Those horsies done moseyed off in the wrong direction

Well, with 6 AI each having a religion, and 7 religions in the game.. my experience as mapmaker with non-ancient starts is that about turn 6 the player (or opponent) will get the 7th religion for free. I say this because if you only give out 3 religions to prevent random disturbnces, there are still 3 religions handed out by the game (even when the tech for that religion is not known).... I had to hand out all religions to prevent random spawn. That said... no guarantees the last religion goes to the player... an AI could get 2. Just saying. Meh.
Are you sure you're talking about Classical starts? I only tested two vanilla Classical starts, but both times the only religions that got handed out were the three for which we have the techs. COL still shows as undiscovered.

Top Bottom