1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 146: Victoria's Empire, Noble

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Dec 28, 2017.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 146: Victoria's Empire

You are Queen Victoria, and your task, should you accept it, is to build an empire that the sun never sets on. Your AI opponents are all from regions of the World that used to be part of the British empire. To make the game a little more realistic for the Victorian age, you start with knowledge of banking and running mercantilism. You are also Christian. Some of the AIs also have religions (which might or might not be historically appropriate) - and some may even already have their religious shrines set up. Though you may find that their shrines are quite well defended! Good luck!

Game settings:
    Playing as: Queen Victoria of England
    Rivals: 5 AIs
    Difficulty: Noble
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: No goody huts, no random events
    Victory Conditions:
    All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Fractal
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Small
    Climate: Temperate
    Sea level: Medium

Queen Victoria is Imperialistic and Financial, and you start with Fishing, Banking and Mining.

The Imperialistic trait gives +100% great general emergence and +50% production of settlers

The Financial trait gives +1 commerce on any plot that already has at least 2 commerce

Unique unit: Redcoat (replaces Rifleman)
    The Redcoat benefits from: 25% combat bonus against mounted units, 25% combat bonus against gun units. This compares with the Rifleman which has: 25% combat bonus against mounted units.

Unique Building: Stock Exchange (replaces Bank)
    Where the bank gives 50% extra commerce in its city, the stock exchange gives 65%!

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 1 Jan 2018, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 1 Feb 2018.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  2. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Looks like the relaxing game after that Cathy madness ;)

3. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

4. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Chieftain

Does this mean Christianity is founded but will have no holy city? Or will the holy city come to be when someone researches Theology? I can't remember the previous Botm games where this was applied:old:.
    Ah well, it'll be the thin red line of 'eroes, against the enemies of all civilized people. Maybe our redcoats will take the recently anschlussed land back from Sauron.
    :hmm: How many turns does it take for the animals to spawn on Noble? Our missionary may be using his mobility to explore other positions first. That coastal plains is tempting but requires better scouting. Warrior W, missionary 2NE, then see where to settle.

5. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Pretty sure we are not Christian. All we have is a free scout. If you want to make us Christian, start us with the city settled, the religion in place, and the holy city designation.

6. DynamicSpirit

There was a previous BOTM in which some religions were pre-founded but because of a quirk in the way that game was set up, it turned out to be impossible to build the shrines for them, and I suspect that's what you were thinking of. However, I'm reasonably certain that is not the case in this game. In this game, for all religions that exist at the start, either the appropriate Holy Shrine has been already built, or it is possible to build it.

I think usually animals will appear by about turn 5 or 6, but I'm not sure of the exact turn. I think your missionary will be safe for a couple of turns but I personally wouldn't leave him exposed any longer than that.

Actually what you have is a settler, a warrior, and a Christian missionary. You don't have a scout.

I can confirm that when you open the save, you will find your state religion is indeed Christianity. Remember that some things are possible when making a map in WorldBuilder that wouldn't be possible to achieve when playing normally.

7. lymond

Ha..well, I was referring to the Christian mish as a our scout. Hmm...I guess you could edit the WB file to designate state religion. Don't think I've seen a way to do so directly in WB without a settled city. Question is will London be the Holy City? Settling the mish will not to do that. So I referring to the mish as a scout, as he is better for that use if our religion is irrelevant. I'd rather catch someone else's.

8. DynamicSpirit

Ah I see. If you do use the missionary to scout, then as you will realize, if he encounters any barbs, he's basically dead.

You're correct that settling the missionary will not make a city into a Holy City. Settling the missionary will however give all the usual benefits of having a religion in a city: For example, depending on your state religion, the +1 culture/turn and +1 happiness, and the +25% hammers for buildings if you're running organized religion, and so on. So personally I wouldn't risk having the missionary get eaten by animals unless you're pretty certain you won't want any of those benefits.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  9. lymond

I think you missing the point, DS. I'm not talking about Holy Shrines (created by GPs). I'm talking about Holy Cities - basically the issue that High King brought up. The Christian mish does not mean we own the Christian religion. It's actually more annoying than good for us as the religion belongs to tech most ignore. Therefore, the mish is only really useful as a scout. The religion is pretty meaningless early in the game.

Holy cities are created when a religion is founded (corresponding tech) and assigned randomly to one of the founder's cities. A mish will not "found" the religion, nor designate a city as a "Holy City". However, that can be done if the capital is settled on Turn 0, by using WB and city mode, which allows you to both add a religion to the city and designate it as the Holy City. Much more preferable if this one done, ,or no mish given to us.

10. DynamicSpirit

Yes, sorry, you're quite correct there, what I wrote in my previous post was confusing the two issues. I've now fixed that post. To be clear, when playing the game normally, a Holy City can only be created by discovering the tech that founds a religion. However, when creating a map in WorldBuilder, normal game rules don't apply ;-)

OK, I had been hoping to avoid saying more, but I guess I should clarify: For all religions that exist at the start of the game, a Holy City also already exists somewhere. That's why I asserted that it's possible to build shrines (well, any that I haven't already WorldBuildered in. The starting post made it clear that at least some shrines already exist).

11. lymond

I pretty much understood your original post. However, I'm still not convinced that we are Christian. It's kinda pointless early unless we have the holy city. Unless you are telling us that the Christian Holy city actually does exist already, but clearly not by the human. That could be a somewhat interesting scenario.

yeah, I know the WB stuff...and that is what I'm referring to.

I more than welcome the religion hijinks here. I just don't care much for useless missionaries at the start, which I've seen a time or two before. Also, being in a state religion first thing is not particularly great either, though I know no way of doing that in WB without a settled city, unless you edited the WB file in notepad.

I guess this just boils down to clarification of our start position. The unknown's are fine in GOTMs. We love surprises. But what you say in your OP does not jive with what we "see"...that is when there is confusion.

12. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

Say no more, DS. I want the surprises... ;)

13. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

I did read everything twice now lol, and still cannot understand the missionary problem.
    It's nice for a city with border pop need, like mini-creative, why would he be useless?

14. lymond

Ha ...well don’t want to belabor this mish thing. Yeah...you can scout a bit and use him for culture. I just wanted to make clear that we don’t “own” the religion....as this has been implied in past xotms where we are thrown a starting mish - as it is also implied here.

Just a little dramatic effect ;)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  15. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

16. DynamicSpirit

It's probably worth - when you open the save for this game - having a quick look through all the diplomacy screens. If there's anything in this thread that's not clear, then the diplomacy screens will show you the actual situation regarding religions and religious shrines.

(Looking through the diplomacy screens at the start is probably a good idea in all GOTMs anyway. I normally do that when I'm playing - just to check there's nothing important about the game that I missed when reading the announcement thread. But checking the screens would seem particularly worth while here, given the unusual start).

17. DynamicSpirit

Spoiler threads are now up!

18. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

I think I scout west and se if its worth settling on spices. First East with warrior and then SW-NE with mish. I'll save Mish for city 2 who will need the culture to expand borders.

19. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Don't get the big huff and puff about the missionary and Christianity. It's nice to have a religion for extra religion (maybe even save the guy for city 2??), and you can scout a little early on (but be careful!).

Not sure exactly how pre-setting religions work, but based on the one map I created for these games, I can confirm that it's possible to do many things in WorldBuilder and manually with text files that cannot be done normally :mischief:

Other than that, it seems clear that we don't or won't have the holy city. Perhaps that location is one of the "historically accurate" ones? Watch out for Praets? :scared:

Don't know if I will actually play the game, am slow, fairly busy, and have no idea (any longer) how to play Noble well. But it looks like a fun game.