1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 147 starts January 17

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

BOTM 147: IvoryJoao of Portugal.

Ivory Joao has cornered the world market of elephants. Will you use your Carracks to deposit settlers on remote islands before the AIs can? Or use them to conquer AI cities with your amphibious elephants? Or simply trade ivory for other luxuries? (Astronomy required). Likely all of the above. Unedited map.

Game settings:
    Playing as: Ivory Joao of Portugal
    Rivals: 8 AIs
    Difficulty: Emperor
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: Raging barbarians, no tech brokering, permanent alliances, no goody huts, no random events
    Victory Conditions:
    All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Islands, extra islands
    World Wrap:
    Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Worldsize_standard
    Climate: Climate_temperate
    Sea level: High or Medium

JoJo is Imperialistic and Expansive, and you start with Fishing and Mining.
    The Imperialistic trait gives +100% great general emergence and +50% production of settlers

The Expansive trait gives +2 health/city and +25% hammers for worker production and double production speed of Granary and Harbor

Unique unit: Carrack (replaces Caravel)
    One of the best Unique Units, the Carrack benefits from: can carry any unit, and can carry 2 units. This compares with the Caravel which has: can only carry spies, missionaries, etc., and can carry 1 units.

Unique Building: Feitoria (replaces Customs House)
    One of the worst Unique Buildings, the Feitoria gives +1 :commerce: in water tiles in addition to Custom House +100% foreign trade.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 17 Jan 2018, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 18 Feb 2018.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.
    While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

This is not correct. It is +1 :commerce:, not +1 :gold:.

Edit: I'm not familiar with this map type, and maybe you can't answer, but does the intro text mean that there are no other happy resources in our immediate surroundings, and that all AIs, including us, start off isolated?

Looking at the map, it sure is green :) I'm a sucker for river capitals, though, so initial gut reaction is that I'd like to move east.

Also, raging barbs and no tech brokering sounds scary. Just to be sure, as I never play with this option, it means that if we for instance use Aesthetics to get Alpha (probably not possible given settings), we won't be able to trade Alpha for anything else. Right?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  3. Deckhand

thanks for comments/questions, answers above.

4. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

For no tech brokering, AIs will not make trades when they get close to finishing techs and say "we would have nothing to gain" :)

5. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Thanks for the answers, and good point about it being safer to trade away techs. Looks like a fair bit of jungle nearby, and being isolated, this whole scenario probably means a rather different tech path approach than normally.

Presumably it might be possible to reach some AIs before Carracks, but we will see I guess.

6. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

I thought no tech brokering meant that you can't trade away any tech that you received in a trade, e.g., if you trade away Alphabet in exchange for Iron Working you then will not be able to offer Iron Working as part of any trade. [Edit: Duh, sorry all--yes, Pangaea's equivalent example was quite clear--I hadn't had my afternoon coffee yet, you see.]

As for every civ starting "isolated," does that mean that any given land mass has at most 1 civ, but that any given civ may or not be reachable by galley? Looking forward to this one.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  7. Deckhand

Yes. That's what was said above by example.

Yes.
    9 civs including player; with some uninhabited islands (perhaps full of raging barbarians).

8. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

Oh, you mean XP factories?

9. Deckhand

Only way to get your amphibious elephants experience before meeting your neighbors. :mischief:

10. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

An Attacko inspired GoTM!

11. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

An inspiring article to ponder over.

We still start with warriors though. Hope those raging barbs don't hit us too soon!
    (Does this option mean there will be more of them as well as making them more aggressive?)

(Argh, you bugger lymond!! :cry: )

12. Deckhand

:ninja:
    I love carracks. They are so awesome. So, game design was islands with extra islands. In generating maps, the one I picked had all the elephants on your island. Thus the Ivory Joao theme.

There was an xotm with a watery (archipelago?) map at warlord level (Isabella iirc) - where I did use amphibious elephants.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  13. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

Not enough ivory (visible) to trade to all eight AIs. Guess that means we're supposed to kill off at least 4, right? Is that in keeping with the theme?

14. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

:lol: ninja'd Pangaea to the millisecond

15. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

Right down to the word.

16. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

Exactly. Get Optics and Construction by about T50 and roll...

17. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

This looks an intriguing game - and a setup we haven't seen for quite a while in a BOTM. Potentially fun.

Like pangaea I'm tempted to move East - more specifically, to settle E-SE on the riverside-grassland-hill. This not only gives a river for the capital while keeping it coastal, but opens up the possibility of more food (in short supply if settling in-place), and being on a hill could be a very useful when the raging barbs show up. Luckily, being on an island, it shouldn't be too hard to fogbust the land. However, I suspect barb galleys could be a big problem, making it quite hard to reliably work seafood until we are either able to build triremes, or have expanded enough to fogbust most of the accessible coast.

I disagree with the starting post in one respect:

I think the Feitoria is quite powerful: Feitoria + colossus means that every coastal tile gives 4 commerce - on this map, that can be a very significant boost to science. And, unlike the Colossus, I believe the Feitoria never expires. Shame though that the feitoria can't be built very early in the game.

One word of warning: The carrack gives us the ability to start warring, and to either capture or settle cities across the oceans. However, until you discover astronomy, you still can't trade across oceans. That means no trade routes across oceans between your own cities, AND your cities won't be able to share resources across oceans. So any cities you own on faraway continents could end up costing you a lot of maintenance, and have low happy and health caps, and no trade routes to compensate.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  18. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Chieftain

It's +25% :hammers: for worker production. I guess nobody ever reads the starting screenshot. :(

19. Deckhand

:lol:
    I remember you corrected me in my last game about this! thanks
    oops

I think Imperialistic sucks - but at least you get bonuses for both workers and settlers.

20. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

That's because we have an app that automatically generates most of the text for game announcement thread, including the text for the traits. And the description for expansive workers that the app uses is wrong - so it comes out wrong on every game. I guess I really should get round to fixing it :)