1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 148 starts February 1

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

BOTM 148: Sulieman of Ottomans.

Sulieman of the Ottomans. You start with a worker and two scouts (in addition to warrior and settler). The AI civilizations start with Deity units. Sulieman has starred in two previous botms: January 2009 and January 2015. There is a lot of land and thus a little extra time. Map almost unedited. Added a couple extra rivers for you.

Game settings:
    Playing as: Sulieman of Ottomans
    Rivals: 6 AIs
    Difficulty: Prince
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: None (aka Huts and Events)
    Victory Conditions: All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Tectonics (60% water)
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Worldsize_standard
    Climate: Climate_temperate
    Sea level: Sealevel_medium

Sulieman is Imperialistic and Philosophical, and you start with The Wheel and Agriculture.
    The Imperialistic trait gives +100% great general emergence and +50% production of settlers

The Philosophical trait gives +100% great people birth rate and double production speed of University

Unique unit: Janissary (replaces Musketman)
    The Janissary benefits from: 25% combat bonus against melee units, 25% combat bonus against archer units, 25% combat bonus against mounted units. This compares with the Musketman which has: no directly comparable benefits.

Unique Building: Hammam (replaces Aqueduct)
    +2 :) in addition to +2 :health:

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.
    AI starting units: 4 archers, 2 scouts, 1 worker, 2 settlers

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 1 Feb 2018, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 11 Mar 2018.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.
    While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

2. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

I'll need to check some generated maps to see what Tectonics looks like, but this seems like an interesting setup. Love the starting worker ;) especially as we have the tech to use him from T0. See no reason to move away here, so if I play I'll SIP (plains hill is always great). Nice with a scout as well, so we have a chance to grab a hut or two. Naturally the AI has the odds stacked in its favour with two scouts a piece. Not a fan of events, but nice flavour once in a while I guess. Results between players can be so wildly different though.

Suleiman is a strong leader with strong traits, and although Muskets aren't all that, Janissaries are pretty decent with its triple bonuses. Hammam is a good unique building too, due to the extra happiness. Perhaps particularly useful in the capital early on, before you get all the juicy trades going, and Calendar resources online.

Unfortunate about no capital river, but we can't have it all. Maybe there is a sweet spot nearby (since the mapmaker added rivers) for the rare "move capital" maneouvre? Or a juicy AI capital :mischief:

On a separate query, with Buffy .005 out for testing and the decision to make it mandatory for Hall of Fame games fairly soon, when will the same apply to Game of the Month games?

3. Deckhand

We haven't discussed it. I think same time HoF makes the change.
    I (and I assume DS, as afaik, it was his idea) have plans for the new BUFFY capability to allow extra settlers at start in OCC.

4. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Tectonic is pretty variable in my experience. It could be a little bit like a fractal map. Or it could be one sprawling (but probably not too wide) continent snaking around the World, intermixed with lots of ocean. The one thing that is certain is that it'll be a much bigger map than standard-size usually gives you. And I wouldn't be surprised to find a high proportion of plains tiles.

As to where to start... In-place gives decent production at first and a relatively quick start with the plains hill, but once you've chopped the trees down, it's going to be pretty mediocre for anything other than possibly a GP farm. And has too much food in the BFC, some of which you probably want to go to other cities. Could be good for getting a couple of early wonders - tectonics can sometimes be good for the great lighthouse, but would need exploring to determine that. Or just chopping lots of forests to expand quickly.

1NW looks a rather better long-term production site, since you get 3 hills and the cow. But it gives you a slower start, you lose a forest-chop, and potentially orphan the eastern clams.

I'd probably go with in-place, unless the scouts discover a reason to move elsewhere on the first turn.

Either way I can see myself moving the capital to somewhere nearer a river as soon as civil service is in.

5. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

Warrior sw, scout1 2w via coast, scout2 2ne, worker 1w+1sw. I doubt I see any compelling reason to move the settler, but ya never know. 60% water speaks for coastal.

6. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

What if there is a pre-placed wolf next door? I've heard map makers can be evil :mischief:

7. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

We're only evil because we like setting challenging scenarios that require you to think carefully about what to do. I'm fairly sure that no professional mapmaker would ever knowingly set up a game that has the potential to ruin some players' games during the first couple of turns. (But on the other hand WB mistakes and unanticipated consequences do happen...)

8. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

I can think of one word - "Humbaba"

9. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

hUMBABA HAS BEEN SLAIN... i HOPE.

10. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

Only because I'm not a mapmaker... ;)

11. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Perhaps a bit soon normally, but spoiler threads? I've played to 1AD ever so quickly - only 15 hours :lol:

12. Deckhand

OK, done.
    I will add picture, civ name and level later; also final spoiler.

13. Fippy

Fippy Warrior Queen

Humbaba should return, maybe not on deity thou lol ;)
    Maybe in some other form thou, it's flexible.

14. Deckhand

Am considering a game with LC's stealth destroyers. :evil:

15. georgjorge

georgjorge Deity Wannabe

I hope this isn't considered a spoiler, but it's an information contrary to the description. Sea level is actually high according to the save I downloaded.