1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 149 - Humbaba's Results and Congratulations!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Mar 17, 2018.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Well having Humbaba on your side certainly seemed to help, as this game saw far fewer losses than I’d normally expect for an immortal level game. Perhaps not surprisingly, most people went for domination: Fastest domination was Xcalibrator in 1705AD (winning the silver medal) while hhhawk, although winning some years later - in 1780AD, had a bigger empire so got gold and the cow. Deckhand secured bronze with a 1765AD domination.

With most people going for domination, those choosing peaceful victories had quite an easy time: UB40 achieved fastest diplomatic victory, beating Kime11 by 18 turns – 1846 AD to 1884 AD, and beating da_Vinci (1994 AD) by rather more turns. Meanwhile LinkDinkin - returning last month after a 4–year absence from GOTMs - got the only – and therefore by default, the fastest - fastest space win in 1896 AD.

Summary of Medal Winners:

hhhawk: 1780 AD Domination Victory, 255,569 points.

Xcalibrator: 1705 AD Domination Victory, 213,775 points.

deckhand: 1765 AD Domination Victory, 202,799 points.

Fastest Finish Award Winners:

LinkDinkin: 1896 AD Spaceship Victory, 100,679 points.

UB40: 1846 AD Diplomatic Victory, 83,253 points.

Other Award Winners:

MarleysGh0st: 1962 AD Domination Victory, 52,338 points.

da_Vinci: 1994 AD Diplomatic Victory, 22,364 points.

donsig: 1992 AD Cultural Loss, 6,429 points.

Alquest: 1852 AD Cultural Loss, 3,969 points.

>> See the full results here.
    >> See the updated global rankings here.
    >> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
    >> You can see and compare graphic replays of all the submissions here.
    >> Award symbols are listed here.

2. DynamicSpirit

Here's where everyone settled.

Our city maps aren't geared up to show captured cities, so these are actually not the capital, but the first city that you call settled the 'proper' way - using a settler. I was interested to see both how much variety there was in how quickly people managed to build the settler and settle - ranging from 39 turns to 57 turns. Unsurprisingly in the circumstances, people chose a much bigger variety of spots than typical for a GOTM. Even so, one spot seemed to be very popular!

By the way, you can all blame Noble Zarkon for the map being generated at such a small scale. :D

The Small Print:
    The numbers by each player's name indicate the turn settled on (starting turn is 0). Players are colour coded by game class (challenger=red, adventurer=blue). Symbols indicate victory condition, if there's no symbol then the player either retired or was defeated. The yellow border indicates the land that was visible at the start of the game.

3. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

:D:crazyeye::lol:

4. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

What on earth were you doing down there anyway? :D

Looks like the fishgold was rather popular. Have forgot where I settled where I did, probably because I wanted to settle towards the AI to secure land.

Later wins than usual, but that's down to the scenario of the late start and needing Astro to meet the rest of the world.

Interesting to see the location of oil, uranium, aluminium and coal in that map too. Think I found every single one with the panthers :)

5. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

cg all winners, was a great scenario ~~

6. DynamicSpirit

According to our logs, Noble Zarkon captured Washington first. Everyone else captured London first.

7. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

In the interest of full disclosure, I played the adventurer save, so should the diplo shield go to someone who played the contender?

Zara's space ship was in the air for two turns when I finally got the votes (Zara built the UN for me, thank you very much) by getting Musa to friendly at the last minute. So a real victory snatched from the jaws of defeat.

Got to be biggest but way behind in tech with a too long war ... despite Humbaba. The time the stack got ambushed in the field and Humbaba defended the first three rounds of combat were a bit nerve racking, but he did live to the end.

dV

8. DynamicSpirit

Haha! Thanks for the honesty, but rest assured your award was legitimate. Playing the adventurer is shown in the results (although not very obviously) because your entry is in blue. You can't win a medal or fastest victory award with an adventurer save, but you can still win a lowest scoring shield. (I have to admit I'm not quite sure what the rationale for that decision was, but it was a definite decision that was made many years ago).

9. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Yes I headed South as I didn't think much of London's territory!

10. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

Interesting.
    This can't be all the difference between mine and hhhawk/Xcal's game, but may have contributed a lot.
    I see now the advantages of settling there early. I was racing the AI to good places (including SE horses) and establishing a border. Maybe(??) that would be important in a normal immortal game. But with Humbaba, we wouldn't have any trouble taking those cities later. Sooner gold (& fish) and less maintenance costs... Another example (like chopping) of how important the early turns are.