1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 150 - Huayna, monarch - starts March 7th

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Mar 3, 2018.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 150: Huayna Capac of Inca.

This time, you get to play on an almost unedited map! Have fun!

Game settings:
    Playing as: Huayna Capac of Inca
    Rivals: 6 AIs
    Difficulty: Monarch
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: No goody huts, no random events
    Victory Conditions:
    All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Great plains
    World Wrap: None
    Mapsize: Small
    Climate: Temperate
    Sea level: Medium

Huayna Capac is Industrious and Financial, and you start with Mysticism and Agriculture.

The Industrious trait gives +50% wonder production and double production speed of Forge

The Financial trait gives +1 commerce on any plot that already has at least 2 commerce

Unique unit: Quechua (replaces Warrior)
    The Quechua benefits from: free promotions: combat1, and 100% combat bonus against archer units. This compares with the Warrior which has: no directly comparable benefits.

Unique Building: Terrace (replaces Granary)
    Besides the food-storage and health-giving abilities of the granary, the terrace gives +2 culture/turn.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 7 Mar 2018, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 7 April 2018.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

2. georgjorge

georgjorge Deity Wannabe

That looks like a lot of fun, thanks!

- plains Marble hill for maximum production
    - first difficulty level where AI starts with Archery
    - cramped map (or is it? not familiar with Great Plains)

I will try to go full Quechua + Wonderbread economy for an early Space date.

3. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

marble is usually way to go; gets dry corn instead of unforested deer (5 > 4), loses health and three wet tiles (grass, forested plains hill, grass hill) for nothing due to map edge
    faster start means faster everything

great plains maps are relatively large; lots of cows (and plains) in middle, gold and mountains in west, tiny gulf in SE, forests in E
    we are in NE corner

4. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

It's certainly cramped in the sense that the map doesn't wrap and we appear to be in the northeast corner. I'll probably settle in place, but I'll send my quechua SW first, to see if there might be more food in that direction.

5. georgjorge

georgjorge Deity Wannabe

One thing delaying the rush compared to, say, Deity is that on Monarch the AI doesn't start with a Worker, so it might very well make one as their first build (and often does). So even if it would be possible to take a city by turn 12 or so, this could lead to some city ruins instead of a second capital. Turn 20 is about the earliest date to safely attack and keep an AI city (unless we have vision on the city early and thus get to know when it grows).

Also on resource generation: the eastern "strip" on the map has the most food, the western "strip" usually has a lot of mountains, Silver and Bronze. There's a decent amount of Horses in the middle and eastern strip, but not too much Bronze, something to take into account when doing a prolonged Quechua rush.

6. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

I'm inclined to think there's another food resource up there DS would never leave us with just a little deer. Settling on marble is always nice, but I think the decision should be based your goals, and moving the Q on to the marble to see what is up there. Settle on marble for Q rush/combat game. SIP for the longer game.

A 3rd option might be to move the settler 2S onto that PH, the Q reveals nothing up north. The NE quadrant tends to be food rich in deer, cow and pigs, so good chance for more food even though it is a blind move. Plus it appears to have more river for possible better bureau cap.

Good overview on GP by Deck. Also, note that the SW corner tends to have a good bit of flood plains (and a lot of desert) and sometimes some odd things like corn on flood plains, which is one of the best tiles in the game. Barbs can be a bit of a problem on GP as well although 6 AIs on small size helps some. (I believe barb horse archers are possible on this map script) As mentioned, small Gulf in SE and surrounded by jungle in the eastern coast.

7. DynamicSpirit

You might want to check the food/hammer yield on the deer tile that is shown in the screenshot. Civ isn't always very good at showing forests on resources.

8. Deckhand

Thanks.

So SIP and work deer = 3 food plus 3 hammers
    Settle on Marble and work corn = 3 food plus 3 hammers
    Settle 2S and work deer = 3 food plus 3 hammers

deer with camp is 5 food, as good as the farmed but dry corn, might want to research hunting first

9. Deckhand

If there is another deer 2N,1E, I don't think we could see it from the marble as forests still blocking.

edit,
    oh, and I missed small map in my first post - so yes, cramped
    (btw, botm 151 is also small map)

10. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

So if one is going to be Q rushing, one can't keep making them after both Hunting and BW, right? So does this tech nuance impact settling decision, if one was planning to delay hunting to keep making Q while having BW benefits?

dV

11. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Because it's a unique unit, they last longer. Think we can make them until Civil Service?

It's like Firaxis went out of their way to create an OP civilization and leader :lol:

1N of Marble is 'naked' so we can always hope for some decent food up there.

12. DynamicSpirit

Yep, quechua's upgrade to spearmen, axemen or macemen, and I think the way it works is that you can continue to build them until ALL the possible upgrade units are buildable or obsolete. Which implies you can continue to build quechuas until building macemen becomes possible. A quick test seems to confirm that.

Of course, you can always try to avoid hooking up any copper or iron :)

13. Deckhand

:agree:
    Had to test it for myself.

And if you are Persia, you can keep building Immortals until you can build knights (tested) or cuirrassiers (I assume).

14. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

15. Deckhand

TLDR ;)
    (Had other priorities, I will get to it)

16. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Spoilers, please.

17. DynamicSpirit

Ooops - sorry, and thanks for the reminder. Done :)

18. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

... and results?

19. DynamicSpirit

On the way...