1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 151 starts March 15, Deity

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

BOTM 151: Darius I of Persia.

Fippy the Warrior Queen, no wait! I mean Darius I of Persia. You get a very generous start and some other map edits that might make this easier than an unedited deity game.

Game settings:
    Playing as: Darius I of Persia
    Rivals: 4 AIs
    Difficulty: Deity
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: No goody huts, no random events
    Victory Conditions:
    All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Tectonics
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Worldsize_small
    Climate: Climate_temperate
    Sea level: Sealevel_medium

Darius I is Organized and Financial, and you start with Agriculture and Hunting.
    The Organized trait gives -50% civic upkeep and double production speed of Courthouse, Factory and Lighthouse

The Financial trait gives +1 commerce on any plot that already has at least 2 commerce

Unique unit: Immortal (replaces Chariot)
    The Immortal benefits from: gets defensive bonuses, and 50% combat bonus against archer units. This compares with the Chariot which has: does not get defensive bonuses.

Unique Building: Apothecary (replaces Grocer)
    Provides +2 :health: in addition to +25% :gold: and +1 :health: for banana, spices, sugar, wine; and can turn two citizens into merchants

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories. [This may be your last chance for this as I hope to switch to BUFFY v5 in April]

Adventurer Class bonuses:
    You play at Emperor level and barbarians don't start with any techs.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 15 Mar 2018, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 15 Apr 2018.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.
    While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

2. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Gotta love that cover on Women's Day :lol:

3. Deckhand

:rotfl:
    I had no idea.

4. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Deck wins the interwebs today! :goodjob:

I think I may have actually seen that movie:blush:

That is quite a juicy start.. I'm not sure I can think of a reason to even move, although I'm sure the dedicatee of this game will fine one.

:hatsoff:to all the lady civvers out there as well on this wonderful day!

5. babybluepants

babybluepants Chieftain Supporter GOTM Staff

I don't know, I'm kinda eyeing that cow.

6. Deckhand

7. babybluepants

8. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Another Women's Day winner? :D

Looked up the movie yesterday, and came over a few short youtube clips. Oh my, that thing is atrocious! Like a student project gone bad. Very bad.

As a reviewer wrote, "And oh yeah, the cover is better than the movie." :lol:

...and the rest of the map too? :mischief:

(though there appears to be a visible spot to the south-west, and the minimap is much larger than usual...)

Very greedy, but wish the corn was 1W. Could have settled 1NW then and got both sources of food. Don't think I'd want to waste a turn moving at Deity. Wet corn is rather nice anyway, especially when you can work 3 gems + corn at size 4. The downside is that it takes a good while to build a settler, and whipping away two gems isn't exactly very tempting.

The great start does perhaps mean us mere noobs can hack it at Deity too. Sometimes I get locked in with 2-3 cities, and that's tough.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  9. babybluepants

:lol: Ouch! I walked right into that one.

Wouldn't worry about that too much.

10. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

:lol: I'm still laughing at this one

bbp - so what is your thoughts on the move here? kill a gem (eek) or settling on that hill?

11. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

I would def move ;)
    2n1w or 3N (i doubt Deckhand will tell us if he included copper lol), but getting cows one way or another is important imo.

Great commerce, but other power tiles are also a big help.
    We have wet corn with SIP, but gems are not providing much help for settlers, workers..
    (better than gold thou)

1t moving is no biggie, and usually worth doing if you can improve your position with 6 yield cows.
    Teching AH is ofc nps at all with those gems.

When i made that screenie, i never would have imagined what happens with it :D

12. babybluepants

Not exactly sure. Maybe 3N? It probably doesn't kill any coastal resources. I might move the settler to the GH 1N of corn on T0, see what I see. From there I could settle a number of corn/cow spots.

Edit: xpost with the Warrior Queen :queen:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  13. Deckhand

Assume what ever you like. I don't recall if I put all the jungles and forests and hills in the fog row at the top.
    Besides the resources from Fippy's post - there's more! There were near by resources in my map that I kept. And a couple I added.
    :pat::bday:
    :nope: didn't have access to rest of map; I edited a new map with similar shape. Plus I want Fippy to play.

Glad someone noticed. That spot is gone in the saves. That is where your carrack was. I still want to prove they are as great as I think they are. :hmm: I suppose any unit showing up before its time would be pretty nice. Anyway, no carrack for you this game.

Ugh, :thumbsdown: I hate settling 1 away from the coast.

There were a couple other map edits that should help you.

14. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Now there's an idea. Give a non-Portuguese civ some Carracks from the start, and let the human do what they want with them, like settling an overseas city in 2000BC :D (and pray barb galleys don't take them out in a lucky combat at some point).

Me too actually, though I'm getting "better" at building them if the situation fits. Especially on Deity, sometimes you need to take a seemingly poor 1-off-coast city if that nets you needed resources early -- even if the city would be better longterm if it was settled elsewhere. And if just 1-2 tiles are coastal anyway, the loss isn't that big. Think that was the case in a fairly recent BOTM with a SIP capital.

15. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

If settling e.g. 3N, when and how would you get out the first settler? Whipping away gems almost hurt physically :sad:

(Though I suppose we may not even have time to improve all those 5 tiles before needing to build the first settler).

16. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

I think with corn & cows, you can consider not whipping (especially before granary) cos they both are 6 yield. Or you can sacrifice some commerce if we see a great 2nd city spot, i not always work gems or gold early (it's easy catching up with those).

Pangaea likes this.
  17. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Spoilers, please? :)

18. Deckhand

I've been away for ten days.
    Spoiler but why? :
    banished? penance? personal circumstances?

They are available now.

19. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Banished.
    Spoiler :

20. WastinTime

WastinTime Chieftain Supporter

Do we get any info/hint on the game setting for landmass type?
    And the sea level is High, if that matters.