[BTS] News: BOTM 154 starts May 17

Deckhand

Procrastination at its finest
GOTM Staff

BOTM 154: Warrior Queen Hattie of Egypt.

Warrior Queen Hatsheput of Egypt. Warrior Queen Hattie is so blood thirsty, she won't stop conquering until the entire world is hers. She considers world conquest a given - conquest and domination victories are beneath her.

Map Generation: no edits, regenerated until I liked the start and there wasn't a lot of desert/tundra/ice nearby.
Queen Hattie is not sweet - there isn't any sugar (map oddity detected by gotmhelper).
Barbarians don't have any techs.
You get an extra week to play; because a) you had to wait for the game and b) game may take longer than quick conquest.
Eleven random AIs

Game settings:
Playing as: Warrior Queen Hattie of Egypt
Rivals: 11 AIs
Difficulty: Monarch
Starting Era:
Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: No goody huts
Victory Conditions:
Spaceship, Cultural, Time, Diplomatic
[Not available: Conquest, Domination; Disallowed: Espionage aided culture]

Map settings:
Map: Pangaea
World Wrap: Cylindrical
Mapsize: Worldsize_standard
Climate: Climate_temperate
Sea level: Low

Warrior Queen Hattie is Spiritual and Creative, and you start with The Wheel and Agriculture.
The Spiritual trait gives no anarchy and double production speed of Temple and Cristo Redentor

The Creative trait gives +2 culture/city each turn and double production speed of Colosseum, Library and Theatre

Unique unit: War Chariot (replaces Chariot)
The War Chariot benefits from: base strength = 5, and immune to first strikes. This compares with the Chariot which has: base strength = 4, and not immune to first strikes.

Unique Building: Obelisk (replaces Monument)
Can turn two citizens into Priests.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be disqualified.

Adventurer Class bonuses:
You hate events and refuse to play with them. You prefer this event free save even though it is ineligible for medals or fast awards.
Monarch, No Events

Challenger Class Equalizers:
Monarch is too easy for you and no challenge. You play at Immortal.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 17 May 2018, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 24 Jun 2018.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.
While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

Map Makers Challenge: Cow Award

Let's see some competition for the cow. You should be able to fill the whole continent with your cities without tripping a victory condition.

Note, only one botm this month instead of lower and higher difficulty levels. But you can play this one at either monarch or immortal.

I assume religious victory is available? A shield of some color , here I come.
11 rivals? Ambulance here I come.
With my luck I get all the evil events and end up in a religious world war against every neighbour.
:hmm: Does the AI understand the limited victory conditions and maybe steer towards something other than conquest/domination victory?
By the way what happens if someone wipes out every last rival civ without triggering any available victory conditions? Does the game end or not? Is the player able to play until a victory condition is triggered or will the game end in defeat? Just wondering.

Looks like a fun game. :thanx: May appearances not be deceiving.

Victory Conditions: Spaceship, Cultural, Time, Diplomatic
I assume religious victory is available?

Yes - Diplomatic means both UN and AP are available.

By the way what happens if someone wipes out every last rival civ without triggering any available victory conditions? Does the game end or not? Is the player able to play until a victory condition is triggered or will the game end in defeat? Just wondering.
Good question!

EDIT: It looks like the game carries on!

Attachments

• Noble Zarkon BC-3700 Test.CivBeyondSwordSave
    42.4 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
hmmm...My gut here tells me to SIP actually. 1NW or the spot NZ mentioned are certainly good for more food, but the wet corn is plenty really. I look at the fish spot as just another city..likely on the hill to grab gems too - Fishing likely ignored early anyway. (or settle 2nd city on that PH 1E of fish for food sharing. SIP makes for an excellent bureau cap with fish city helping out. Strong bureau cap needed here accept for AP. With exception of no visible marble, game looks like it sets up very nicely for Culture.

Oh..interesting! Never played without all the victories enabled so no clue what the game did if you wiped everyone out with the military victories disabled.

Do I see coast to the W or am I just blind?

Wow. I assume the idea was to disable super-fast conquest/domination victories, and espionnage victories to avoid unfairly fast culture wins. But in this case AP should be disallowed aswell imo as you can win it by ~T75 whereas other victories will all be in the ADs.

I assume religious victory is available?
Time victory is also enabled.
You win if you have highest score in 2050. If you get a Time Victory, save game and submit as usual.

Wow. I assume the idea was to disable super-fast conquest/domination victories, and espionnage victories to avoid unfairly fast culture wins. But in this case AP should be disallowed aswell imo as you can win it by ~T75 whereas other victories will all be in the ADs.
Not going to change the game at this time. Religious victories are available. An early religious win is ok, you are competing against others going for fastest religion. Will it get a medal?

Yes. Espionage assisted culture is forbidden in part "to avoid unfairly fast culture wins"; primarily because players would be forced to use it to get fastest culture.

Even with 11 AIs?
Assuming we have BFC or 3rd ring horses, T75 is a realistic date for Monarch as all AIs can be killed between turns 45-75. In the meantime, Oracle -> Theology and chop AP. Will probably be a little tougher on IMM as it will take longer to kill everyone. Might still work if you kill "only" 3-4 AIs and then do the standard thingy, T75 might be a squeeze though.

Top Bottom