1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

News: BOTM 156 started July 16

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Noble Zarkon, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

BOTM 156: The Mighty Qin

After encountering a spatial anomaly a British military plane has crashed near the nomadic people of China. Ordinary in their own time the 4 surviving crew members are extraordinary in these pre-historic times. Can you utilise their incredible talents to build a dynasty the likes of which the world has never seen?

Game settings:
    Playing as: The Mighty Qin of China
    Rivals: 4 AIs
    Difficulty: Deity
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: No vassal states, no goody huts, no random events
    Victory Conditions: All enabled
    Starting Units: Settler, Warrior, Great Spy, Great General, Great Prophet & Great Engineer

Map settings:
    Map: Pangaea
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Worldsize_small
    Climate: Climate_tropical
    Sea level: Sealevel_low

The Chinese start with Agriculture and Mining. Qin is INDustrious and PROtective.

IND means 50% wonder production and cheap forges. A very strong trait! PRO means archers and gunpowder units start with CG I and Drill I and you can build cheap walls and castles if you really want to!

His UB: the Pavilion, a Theatre that gives an extra 25%:culture:, excellent synergy with a Wonder Spamming Cultural Victory strategy.

His UU: the Cho-Ko-Nu, a souped-up crossbow with a second first strike that does collateral damage like siege engines. They also get free CG1 and drill promotion from PRO trait. This is an excellent unit to wage war with, if you can get it early enough.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

Adventurer Class bonuses:
    Deity sounds scary. Emperor level will be a lot easier especially as the crew's bomber survived the crash landing!

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 16th July 2018, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 15th Aug 2018.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    kcd_swede likes this.
  2. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

Interesting bonus leaders, but I doubt they'll be enough for me at Deity.

Will there be an Adventurer Class?

3. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Yes - I have added the details for this in.

4. nocho

nocho Chieftain

Good to see you help out in the GOTM section, Noble Zarkon! :goodjob: I was already afraid it was about dead... :eek:

Certainly looks fun! Deity is not quite my cup of tea, but with the bonuses I might get around it. The most obvious way to go for my simple mind would be hurrying the mids with the GE and settle the other 3 great guys for a nice science, hammer, money and EP base. Settling the GE itself too could be an option, but even with the bonuses not sure to beat deity AI to the mids. We're IND though. :hmm:

Not at all sure where to settle yet. On deity would like fresh water, otherwise sugar or where the warrior stands could be an option. The PHs might be worth investigating.

5. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Challenger possible too maybe, without the great people?
    Or just great general, all are a bit too strong for me :)

kcd_swede likes this.
  6. Noble Zarkon

Feel free to delete them :)

7. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

Or gift them to the AI? :mischief:

8. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Or use them to scout until they get eaten by fast moving bears ;)

9. justjohn

justjohn Chieftain

The announcement page says "with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed." But the game seems to require the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005.

10. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

Oh, its the return of the fast phoenix bears.... that's a flashback!

I cant think of where to settle... its too hard! SIP is ok, but I hate settling on FP... will have to explore first and then decide

11. nocho

nocho Chieftain

Indeed, 3.19.005 seems to be needed. Should we install that version of the mod or will the game will be relaunched with 3.19.003?

12. Noble Zarkon

I would love to see you play this and teach us the best way to leverage these GP to beat Deity!

13. Noble Zarkon

Apologies I was supposed to build them in 003 but totally forgot so you will need 005.

14. lymond

Aha! BoTM gets a quick down and dirty stealth transition to 005! :goodjob:

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  15. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

Groan... not sure this feeble computer is up to the challenge of a new MOD, but will give it a try. OTOH, I am definitely sure that my own feeble brain is not up to the challenge of Deity... but in an attempt to ward off dementia, I will give it a try.:banana:

16. mscellaneous

mscellaneous Chieftain Supporter

Very interesting scenario :) What to do with all these great people? Here's a thought when an early war is possible and we have iron:
    Spy - scout
    Eng - bulb Metal Casting
    Proph - bulb Construction or keep for shrine
    Gen - use as a Warlord for _two_ DrillIV Cho-Ko-Nus

edit: as for settling, without looking at the save the PH forest looks interesting. I'd move the GSpy 2SE onto the hill as the very first move

17. lymond

I'm inclined to settle all of them..at least the GP and GE first thing. The bonus hammers, gold, beakers are pretty huge that early - especially the hammers. Gspy might be worth scouting a bit but then bringing back and settling for more beakers and EPs. Or just save him for a well timed golden age...he can scout indefinitely.

18. babybluepants

babybluepants Chieftain Supporter GOTM Staff

I'll also take this "challenger save"... and probably fail miserably. :lol:
    Should probably move them on T0-1 to not miss out on some capital siting info.

19. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Chieftain

A new buffy mod? I can't remember anything about installing the old one. Maybe it's time to let Civ4 retire? I'm sure many would welcome my permanent absence.

20. Noble Zarkon

Please don't!

I'm happy to provide any assistance required in installing the new Mod to you or anyone else, this includes up to connecting to your machine and doing it for you if that is needed!!

SittinDown likes this.