1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 157 starts July 25 - Queen Isabella the Conqueror

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Noble Zarkon, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

BOTM 157: Queen Isabella the Conqueror.

Queen Isabella - the gods have blessed you with beautiful lands, it is up to you to leverage them to fulfill your destiny as the Conqueror. Will you force everyone to bow down to you through military might, or through the alliances you carefully forge, perhaps others will gasp at the wonders of your creativity or you achieving the impossible dream of reaching the stars. How ever you do it this is your time, go forth and make this world yours!

Game settings:
    • Civilization: Spain - Unique Unit: Conquistador (replaces Cuirassier),
    • Unique Building: Citadel (replaces Castle)
    • Leader: Queen Isabella
    • Difficulty: Noble
    • Map size: Worldsize_small
    • Map Script: Fractal
    • Starting Era: Ancient
    • Speed: Epic
    • Options: Aggressive AI, no goody huts, no random events, rising seas
    • Rivals: 4
    • Victory conditions: All enabled
    • World wrap Cylindrical
      This game will run from 25th July to 24th August
    The Spanish start with Fishing and Mysticism.

• Traits: Isabella is Expansive and Spiritual. EXP means faster granaries and harbours, faster worker production (+25%:hammers:), and +2:health: in each city. SPI means no anarchy when switching civics or religions, which gives you enormous flexibility. It also makes temples cheaper, which can help with cultural victories where you want a lot of them in each city to boost base :culture:.
    • The UB: The Citadel, a Castle that gives +5XP to siege units built in the city. This can give a big boost to medieval-age warfare, and in the modern era might cause you to think hard about how soon to go for Economics (which obsoletes the bonus).

• The UU: The Conquistador, a Cuirassier with +50% versus melee units, and which gets defensive bonuses. The Cuirassier is one of the best Military units in the game so anything that improves it is welcome! Libbing Military Tradition is a standard tactic. It's just a pity the UU and UB are so counter-synergistic - you don't want siege units slowing down your fast moving Conquistadors.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 23rd July 2018, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 25th Aug 2018.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  2. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

I don't think I've ever played with rising seas, before. Does that mean that the sea level will rise during the course of the game and flood our coastal cities?

3. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Only if the game goes very long and you have serious health issues everywhere that you don’t address.

4. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

Wow, what a sweet start. Warrior south and if he doesnt see seafood, then I will SIP. If there IS seafood, then I will settle on the plains forest 1S of the warrior.

edit: at Noble, it is probably worth exploring to the SE with the settler before settling.... the start is so sweet that it wont matter hugely if we miss a resource or 2 with the capital as they ill go to an early as possible city 2.

5. WastinTime

WastinTime Chieftain Supporter

I hate it when an EXP leader doesn't start with 4h for the 25% worker bonus.
    And don't say I could settle on the gold and work the forestPlains.

6. Dhoomstriker

Dhoomstriker Girlie Builder

Grow to Size 2 using the Oasis. Now, you can work 2 squares that provide a total of 3 ( Food + Hammers ) each, while ensuring that out of those 2 squares, at least 3 of those Food + Hammers are Hammers. So, 3 Food + 3 Hammers from working a P For and a G For. The 2nd citizen eats 2 of those Food. The 1st citizen eats the 2 Food from the City Centre square.
    You end up with 1 H from the City Centre + 1 Food + 3 Hammers = 1 Food + 4 base Hammers... and, you get a 5th Hammer from the Expansive bonus, giving you 1 F + 5 final H = 6 Hammers per turn
    Your Worker goes from being 60 / 4 = 15 turns to completion down to 60 / 6 = 10 turns to completion
    To grow to Size 2, it cost you 22 Food - 3 Food per turn = 8 turns of delaying not starting on a Worker

So, you're 3 turns behind someone who starts off with building a Worker (15 turns for starting on a Worker vs 8 + 10 = 18 turns from growing to Size 2 first). So, what can you do? Build a 2nd Worker immediately to make up for your deficit in turns!
    4 turns of 6 Hammers per turn = 24 Hammers toward the 2nd Worker
    Your G Riv Corn should have a Farm on it now, so instead of a G For and a P For, you can work a farmed G Riv Corn and an Oasis for:
    6 + 3 + 2 - 4 Food + 1 Hammer from the City Centre for 11 - 4 + 1 = 8 Hammers per turn
    5 turns of 8 Hammers per turn gives us the remaining 40 Hammers needed to complete the Worker plus some overflow Hammers, giving us 2 Workers after 8 turns + 10 turns + 4 turns + 5 turns = 27 turns

The extra Commerce can help with getting you to Pottery soon for an early, cheap Granary. With 2 G Riv Corn Farms, a Gold Mine, and a Silver Mine, you'll be rocking this start, while also having the Worker turns available to Cottage those Flood Plains squares as you continue to grow efficiently (via your Granary) while simultaneously working the Mines.

If you time things well, before building your Granary, you can plan things so that you will nearly-complete a Settler, then complete the Settler with only a couple of Hammers remaining to complete it, meaning that your excess Food can turn into Hammers that will overflow into the Granary, letting you complete the Granary without a detour to Bronze Working. Or, just get the 30 Hammers for a Granary from working the Mines if you don't want to micro things hard-core. Why whip early on when you have such nice squares to work? So, you can go for other techs besides Bronze Working early on.

Be careful with overflow Hammers from building a Worker, though--you won't get as many as you see on paper, since final ( Food + Hammers ) are discounted by the Expansionist bonus, meaning that you could have Hammers that came from Food being discounted, even though you didn't have a chance to earn any bonus Hammers on the Food that was converted to Hammers, meaning that the game is trying to remove a bonus that you didn't get in the first place causing the game to over-correct, so it's actually a mathematical error in the game to subtract those Hammers (probably 1 or 2 at most, but worth caring about if you are microing hard-core), but it's a programmer oversight that we have to live with.

Of course, if you settle on top of the P Riv For, you lose the chance to work 4 Hammers at Size 2 (since you needed that P Riv For for its 2 Hammers in order to get a total of 4 base Hammers from just having 2 citizens plus the City Centre square), so in that case, do not grow to Size 2 before starting on a Worker, and also in that case, you'll probably want Bronze Working after Agriculture, so that you can whip an early Work Boat (we already start with Fishing), to make up for giving up the second G Riv Corn in your big fat cross.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  7. Swordnboard

Swordnboard Chieftain

Nice analysis dhoom, growing first before worker seems pretty strong. But the game is epic speed, so some of the exact micro numbers are a bit off.

8. WastinTime

WastinTime Chieftain Supporter

Yes, I did warrior first. Grew to size 2 (11 turns). Worker goes from 23 turns down to 15. Worth it.

9. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

You could settle on the gold, and get gems..!

10. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Chieftain

Will there be a Mac save? Looks like a great game.

11. Fine_Distinction

How do you choose "rising sea" option? I wanted to play a test game while I am waiting for a Mac save, but I only see "high sea level" option, not "rising seas". Also, tried to play with agreesive Ais - never done it before - but they seem to act as normal? So far played until T74, nobody DOW yet. Or they just build more units?

12. Noble Zarkon

Rising Seas is the bottom option when you start a custom game.

Aggressive AI means they will build more troops and some other behaviour changes, war is more likely but not certain.

13. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Not totally sure on this, but I did check. I think the Rising Seas option may only be activated by BUFFY, or BUG. Maybe it was something added with the Unofficial Patch (was it a dormant or inactive option in the vanilla game?). @Fine_Distinction may be running a test game outside of BUFFY; thus, not seeing the option.

14. Fine_Distinction

Thank you @Noble Zarkon and @lymond, I tried with and without Buffy, still do not see it. It either requires some other option combination (eg. not available for certain climates or sea levels) or not working on Mac, on which I'm playing. Maybe that is why there is still not Mac save?

I played my test game a bit longer and now I know what aggressive AI means, LOL. Got DOWed by everybody while building Mids ;)

15. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

@Fine_Distinction Just making sure we are clear on this, but the Rising Sea option is not a game setting like "High Sea Level" or Speed (left side), it is on the right side at the very bottom below the options like Huts and Events off.

Aggressive AI does not necessarily mean you will be dow'd be everyone, but AIs tend to build more units, thereby increasing the power ratio. It's actually an option often used in HOF games as it slows down the AIs. Getting dow'd by everyone is really another issue.

16. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Huge thanks Noble Zarkon for taking this on while I and Deckhand have been absent. It's really great to see that someone was able to step up and continue the games.

Just looking at the map, it occurs to me that in-place looks amazing as a long-term capital, but has the potential to orphan an awful lot of coastal tiles. So I'm guessing the warrior should move either S or SE to check if there's any seafood we don't want to lose. If there is... then that's a difficult decision. You could move the settler S-S or S-SW to get the seafood, but you lose a turn. Further, S-S loses riverside. S-SW keeps riverside but you can't use Dhoomstriker's idea to grow to size 2 (no 3F tiles until culture expands plus you've lost the forest-plains).

On the other hand, although in-place has two metals, I'm not sure that it gives you enough food to comfortably work both metals all the time while still growing the capital in the early game. If there is fish, then settling on the coast keeps two metals and would give you enough food to work two metals continuously from very early in the game. I'd imagine that itself is significant.

I'd almost hope that there's no seafood down South to avoid having to make a difficult decision :)

SittinDown and Noble Zarkon like this.
  17. Fine_Distinction

Hi @lymond, thanks, I was looking where you say, under options, it is not there, MacBuffy or no mod. It is either a Mac thing, or maybe it is only for some settings? eg for me high sea levels is default. I am attaching screenshot, for me it ends with "no espionage" and rising sea levels are also not at another place. I hope AlanH will manage to get Mac save done anyway, but wondered in the meantime how you guys are getting "rising seas", maybe needs something else installed beyond MacBuffy.
    Spoiler :
    Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 10.30.00 PM.png

18. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Mac save built and uploaded. Apologies for the delay.

I think Rising Seas may be implemented by BUFFY in its custom DLL, in which case it will not be available in the Mac version, as the Mac BTS cannot run the custom DLL.

19. Fine_Distinction

Thank you so much!!! Downloading now :D

20. mscellaneous

mscellaneous Chieftain Supporter

When will the discussion threads become available?