1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 160: Inca, Immortal: Starts 25 Sept

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Sep 20, 2018.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 160: Huayna Capac of Inca.

This month you have a standard immortal game on an (almost) unedited small map... Enjoy!

Because it's immortal difficulty, and because I was feeling nice today, I've provided an adventurer save too!

Game settings:
    Playing as: Huayna Capac of Inca
    Rivals: 4 AIs
    Difficulty: Immortal
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: No barbarians, no random events
    Victory Conditions:
    All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Fractal
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Small
    Climate: Rocky
    Sea level: Medium

Huayna Capac is Industrious and Financial, and you start with Mysticism and Agriculture.

The Industrious trait gives +50% wonder production and double production speed of Forge

The Financial trait gives +1 commerce on any plot that already has at least 2 commerce

Unique unit: Quechua (replaces Warrior)
    The Quechua benefits from: free promotions: combat1, and 100% combat bonus against archer units. This compares with the Warrior which has: no directly comparable benefits.

Unique Building: Terrace (replaces Granary)
    Besides the usual benefits of the granary, the terrace gives +2 culture/turn.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

Adventurer Class bonuses:
    You get to play on monarch level, although the AI still has immortal level starting units.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 25 Sep 2018, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 25 Oct 2028.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Warrior 1SE. Settle 1N on wine or 1SE on ivory. I like the wine.

3. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

SE will tell you if settling on ivory is thing to do?
    What about SW to consider settling on the plains hill?

4. lymond

It's an option, but I"m not keen on it. I'd rather settle on the ivory for that bonus. But I like wine the best right now cause to the N looks sweet..bonus commerce vs. hammers. Usually I'd take the extra hammer but with FIN settling on wine is a nice bonus - and wine otherwise a bad tile, added to the fact that it looks like FPs to the N. Also, jungle to the S. So 1SW just to make sure nothing can't be gained...settling on jumbos is strong too. I think settling 1N nets more river tiles too from what I can tell and moves further away from the brown.

Overall, warrior move seems rather inconsequential here IMO. 1SE reveals a brown tile...maybe a resource. If ..say..wheat (wet) then jumbos it is. If nothing > wine. 1SW reveals a jungle tile and a green or brown tile - I think green - and I highly doubt any resource there on an unedited map.

Now, if your goal from the start is to rush out Qs then either of the bonus hammer spots is probably the way to go. I don't plan to do that here. Fractal can be rather unpredictable. We may be isolated or the edits DS did make was specifically to neuter the Q.

Now if DS had just edited that wine to be a PH.

5. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

Thanks for the adventurer save!

6. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

Yay for Inca.... I know they are controversial in the HoF, but I love them (for traits and UB...) UU obviously overpowered, but I was never a fan of build Quechas->Win type games.

Using my crystal ball, I think Wine is the winner here... It will have 3 GHF, and 3 FP's.... as well as the CornWheat (green wet Wheat.... definitely edited!) and Elephants.

7. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I can't seem to get these mods working...
    "HOF Mod Error - Warning the HOF Mod will be unable to save settings. [...] "

I have civ4bts installed from steam, win10.
    When I start bts (which I do using "start as admin") I have to unload bugmod 4.4, and then load buffy.
    Then that error message appears.

I found some guide about setting permissions on the buffy folder which I have followed.

Not sure if it's steam who is the culprit, should I try get my hands on a fresh standalone version?

8. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

Make sure you install the beta versions from steam.... very important

9. lymond

@krikav

I believe that message is generally tied to the "permissions" issue, but as Neil indicated you need to run the "beta" version in steam. I suggest a complete fresh install in Steam. Uninstall in Steam and then go to actually BTS folder under both Steam and My games and delete everything. Reinstall and then go to BTS properties in Steam, Betas tab, and select the Beta version.

Then follow the Vista fix stuff here:

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=vista

Doing the uncheck "Read-Only" step is very important. Do this on the properties of both BTS root under Steam and My Games.

I suggest changing Compatibility Mode of the BTS executable to Win 7.

Curious as to why you have to unload Bug 4.4. Do you have that set to run automatically in the Config file. That is unnecessary. You can setup shortcuts that run any mod you want to run by creating a shorcut to the BTS excecutable and changing the Target field by adding something like the following at the end:

mod="BBAT Mod 4.1"

for some reason I have to add the extra B, which is really a placeholder..not sure if you would have to do that or not, but it appears to be Steam related. I did not have to do that when I used to use a non-steam version.

It is important to run the game from either the executable or any shortcut you create. Do not run game from Steam Library, but just have Steam running.

10. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Thanks for all pointers. I have made a full reinstall and gotten everything to work.
    In these GOTM, are there huts and/or events?

11. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

:goodjob:
    Welcome to gotm! :band:

Different options are selected for each game. The variety is one of the reasons I like it.
    Usually huts and events are disabled. But not always.
    This month huts are enabled. (Which I didn't notice until you asked).

12. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Nice, I often play very rigorous settings and this collective effort can probably help expand my horizon abit!

13. nocho

nocho Chieftain

Good to have 10 years for this one, might need it!

Major Tom likes this.
  14. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Chieftain

LOL, never noticed it, but good to know :) Didn't have much time for civ lately

15. Major Tom

Major Tom Immortal Supporter

Now, where is the thread we can start bragging about 1AD position?

16. greatbeyond

greatbeyond Chieftain

What exactly is "Climate-Rocky"?

17. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Ooops sorry, just discovered this very late. Threads are now up. If you can still remember what you did in 1AD hehe...