1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 166: Father Ragnus, Immortal. Starts 20 Dec

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Dec 15, 2018.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 166: Father Ragnus of the Vikings.

Father Ragnus is a kind-hearted soul who loves to bring lovely Christmas presents (such as galleys filled with berserkers) to little children. The question is: If Father Ragnus gives these presents only to all good children, never to bad children, does he give presents to himself? It's a logical conundrum isn't it...

Obviously, since it's Christmas, you start at the North Pole. But all is not lost... Because your grotto where you make all the toys is there, there are quite a few resources around. Hit singles are obviously a must because you spent the whole year listening to Merry Christmas Everybody. Privately, you're feeling a bit fed up with it but the elves love it and it's important to keep them happy. Especially because those clever elves were able to build a mine on the coast-silver and forts on the hit singles (Note to Deckhand: NAH!) Isn't it a shame that you can't have the +1 happy from hit singles with forts AND the production from hit-single-hill-mines at the same time HAHAHA!

One bit of advice. You might want to keep tile yields switched on. Without tile yields it's almost impossible to see flood-plains on grassland.

Game settings:
    Playing as: Father Ragnus of Vikings
    Rivals: 6 AIs
    Difficulty: Immortal
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: None
    Victory Conditions:
    All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Ice Age
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Standard
    Climate: Tropical
    Sea level: Medium

Father Ragnus is Financial and Aggressive, and you start with Fishing and Hunting.

The Financial trait gives +1 commerce on any plot that already has at least 2 commerce

The Aggressive trait gives free Combat I promotion for melee and gunpowder units and double production speed of Barracks and Drydock

Unique unit: Berserker (replaces Maceman)
    The Berserker benefits from: free promotions: amphibious, and 10% city attack bonus. This compares with the Maceman which has: 0% city attack bonus.

Unique Building: Trading Post (replaces Lighthouse)
    Besides the usual benefits of the lighthouse, the trading post gives the navigation I promotion to all naval units built in the city.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 20 Dec 2018, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 20 Jan 2019.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  2. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

I have to say that tundra FP excite me... with the silver mine, em, er... in the ocean!! So my first thought is to settle on the only barren ice tile we can see, to grab tundra and ocean (hang on.... did I say that!)

Still gets fresh water as well, due to the lake

3. nocho

nocho Deity

Intriguing... Hope to find some hammer tiles down south. Do floodplains on ice and tundra produce the same unhealthiness? If so, might run into health problems soon. :hmm:

4. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

I've really been looking forward to a generous Christmas game from DS. Considered reminding him last week but knew it was unnecessary. His games are always so well themed. I expected something nice to counter my evil game.
    Really? 3W of settler?
    I like 1W to get the deer (and fish and lots of floodplains).
    Later put a city SE of explorer to get silver and fur.

Oh! We are probably blocked by ice if SIP. Maybe check with explorer?
    Or go to hill to see what we will see? [Ah, can escape via fort!]

Obviously. I like that we start in the North. We've had a few Hub maps with Santa at center. Very nice; but normal is good for a change.
    :hmm: did you mean Hah! (aka neener neener) :p or that I can't use them? (as if I'd ever take such a handicap)

:hmm: Perhaps we should mine them now and put forts back on them when we need the happiness?

:dubious:

I would expect so. Ten if SIP, Nine (3.6) for 1W. Just tested and confirmed.
    Very pleased that worker could build farm and cottage on flood plain ice.

5. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

I like 1W too, but interested in what the scout finds to the SW of his position (likely move him 1SW and 1SE on ice hill). If something nice in the fog, might consider something like 1E of deer. The tundra FPs look nice.

So FP terrain itself gives unhealth? I thought maybe it was the fact that they are normally desert tiles.

Obvious ice tile 1N of furs, but the forts will allow access to the W if one SIPs.

Crazy looking map, but offers some interesting early strategies. My conundrum is BW or POT first...may depend on how dangerous our situation looks after Turn 5, but early whippage will be huge.

6. DynamicSpirit

Yep, flood-plains on snow are basically the same as flood-plains on desert (or on grassland, should you happen to stumble across any) - with the one difference that it takes longer to build on snow:

1. Deserts and tundra add 25% to worker build times. So for example, a cottage that takes 4 turns to build on grassland or plains takes 5 turns on desert or tundra.
    2. Snow adds 50% to worker build times - so the same cottage takes 6 turns to build on snow.

(To be pedantic: In BtS, snow is that land form that you see on lots of the tiles in the starting screenshot. Ice is the thing you see on the northernmost tiles in the starting screenshot: You usually find it on water (though you can World-Builder it onto land) and it prevents most units from moving onto it. You're extremely lucky that, in this game, the North Pole consists mostly of snow, not of ice! )

Yes, it's the flood-plains that give you unhealthiness. Desert doesn't give you unhealthiness, but flood-plains give you minus 0.4 health per tile in the city's BFC. You may want to consider this when deciding where to settle.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  7. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

There should be some way to harness those reindeer to our sleighs (aka chariots). :rudolf:

8. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Need to think a whole lot on workerturns here I guess. Improving tundra and ice costs alot more.

I think it's important to either settle on, or leave room for a city on one of the beavers. A lighthouse to supercharge that silver lake.

9. ChrisShaffer

ChrisShaffer Board gamer

I think he means the snow 2S of the fur.

10. Ania12

Ania12 Chieftain

Hi,
    Not sure this is the right forum at all but I am new here so hopefully someone can help me. I am using Steam on a MacBook Pro and have BTS version 3.19. I have downloaded the newest BUFFY mode for Mac and loaded it, which worked fine. But when I try to load this month's game (the first time I have ever tried this) it gives me a "locked assets" message and won't load the initial save. When I start a new game from scratch, the BUFFY mode gives me a message that my game will not be eligible for HOF since it's on a Mac. So my question is: is it the Mac that is creating the issue? Or could something else be the problem?
    Thanks for any help.

11. DynamicSpirit

Hi Ania12 and welcome to the GOTMs. I don't know too much about Mac saves, but I've forwarded your message on to see if any of the other staff can help. I can tell you that the message about not being eligible for HOF is nothing to worry about here: HOF (Hall of Fame) is a separate competition - nothing to to with the GOTM that we run here, except that we both share the same BUFFY mod. I believe they don't allow Mac entries, but we do.

12. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Hi. Welcome to Civfanatics and the GOTM :wavey:

Briefly, we shall need to examine why you are getting the Locked Assets message. Note that you do not require the Windows BUFFY mod, and if you have installed it on your Mac, that may give you problems. We need to see whether your MacBUFFY software is correctly installed. Please run the MacAssetsChecker software that is linked in the first post in the MacBUFFY thread, and post the results in that thread to avoid diverting this thread.

DynamicSpirit is correct in saying that the HOF doesn't support the Mac version, so a new game using MacBUFFY will probably give you that other message, but that's not your issue here.

krikav likes this.
  13. Ania12

Ania12 Chieftain

Hi DynamicSpirit and AlanH,

thanks very much for your warm welcome and your help.
    I have now posted the checker results and other comments in the MacBuffy thread as you asked. Thanks again for your help!

14. DynamicSpirit

Spoiler threads are up (sorry, somewhat belatedly, should've put them up several days ago. Blame Christmas :D )

15. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Why is it 3F 2S1W of the settler? Floodplain on a non-riverside?

16. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

editing the WB save mistake... very easy to do.

17. DynamicSpirit

Well spotted. It is indeed a non-riverside floodplain, as can be deduced from the tile yield in the screenshot in the first post. And neilmeister is correct that, in general, the only way you usually see non-riverside floodplain is if the mapmaker Worldbuilders that in. Map scripts in general won't put floodplains on non-riverside tiles. But then, map scripts in general won't put floodplains on snow either (except in the anything-goes fantasy realm script). That possibly tells you something about quite a few of the other tiles in the starting screenshot ;)

In case anyone is unaware: A floodplain without improvements automatically adds 3F to whatever yields the base tile has. That's why the flood-plain snow tiles in this game show 3F, and the ones that are riverside also show 1C. Additionally, you can put a cottage or build a farm on a floodplain PROVIDED it has access to fresh water. (Note I've worded that carefully: It needs fresh water. The fresh water does not need to come from a river).

krikav likes this.