News: BOTM 17 - Starts 16 April

Where are the saves?

Still can't see it...needs more attention drawn to it - lots of dancing bananas etc.

Edit: Thanks for putting up the link to the page.

Still nothing on civfanatics mainpage etc.

Funny there was a thread about why more people don't do BOTM. I think the reason I'm playing this one is that it is limited to 3 cities so milking score won't be such a time consuming thing - the main reason I haven't submitted any previously. That and I've been away from civ for pretty much 1 year a 5 months...

Steam is a strange beast. It actually installs a copy of the Vanilla assets in the BTS Path. You have to have them in order to play BTS. (It is the same for Warlords.) Could you send a copy of your AssetChecker results file to hof.civfanatic@gmail.com?
Got the file. There appears to be an extra file (i.e. not included in CD/DVD versions). A map called "aDebugMap.py". Sent an e-mail suggesting removing it. The PublicMaps folder is included in the checksum so it would be enough to through off the comparison. Let's hope that is the issue...

Got the file. There appears to be an extra file (i.e. not included in CD/DVD versions). A map called "aDebugMap.py". Sent an e-mail suggesting removing it. The PublicMaps folder is included in the checksum so it would be enough to through off the comparison. Let's hope that is the issue...

Removed the extra .py file but the problem is still there. Missing Warlords files are also reported, although I have not installed the Warlords expansion nor did I ask for it to be checked.

Problem solved! In my case it was self-inflicted:

Trying to find a solution I start a random game in HOF modus, and get an error message that points me to the Settings overview for details. There seems to be two errors; I haven't checked "Lock modified assets", which is easily fixed, and the mod is installed in the wrong directory. Upon reading the latter, I recall that by mistake I installed the mod in the MODS folder under My Games/bts before installing it in the correct folder under Steam. So I simply delete the HOF mod files in the My Games folder and voila! the BOTM save opens without errors :)

I am a new member to these forums, so dont mind me asking some questions.

I wanted to participate in this Game of the Month, however I couldnt see any save file of some kind, but you guys did mention a mod.

How does playing this game exactly work.

Thank you for any answers.

I am a new member to these forums, so dont mind me asking some questions.

I wanted to participate in this Game of the Month, however I couldnt see any save file of some kind, but you guys did mention a mod.

How does playing this game exactly work.

Thank you for any answers.

Hello, welcome.

There's an intro to the way the games work, and an FAQ, on our GOTM Web Site.

The first post in this thread gives details of the game. It also gives a link to the GOTM web site page for the game where you can download the starting save. The game web page also links to the HoF Mod that you need to install in order to be able to play it.

Hey
Uhmm havent played any GOTM since civ3 and it has taken me some time to get to like civ4.
I feel now i need something to keep me entertained and thought of the GOTM :)
So I'll grap the save and play along!
If I still can... I can see im a bit late!
hehe
Hope the HOF mod wont give me too much grief!

Haven't done one of these in forever and .. well ... I can't find a link to download the map? Where do I get it from?

Thanks for the link.

I didn't have the GOTM website and still don't see any links in the 1st post.

It's okay -- I'm old and blind ;).

Got it and going !!!

I've improved the visibility of the link in the first post.

Quick question. Finished my games last night. When I ended my final turn (the one before victory), I got an error about not being able to save the game. It has a really weird filename showing up.

It didn't crash the game so I said one more turn and saved the game 1 turn after victory. Still okay to submit that one?

Quick question. Finished my games last night. When I ended my final turn (the one before victory), I got an error about not being able to save the game. It has a really weird filename showing up.
It may be the HoF Mod attempting to create an end of game save for you. DO you have that option enabled in the HoF Mod? It creates long file names that include the leader name, date etc in lower case, with lots of underscores. If it was unable to create that save there may be a permissions problem in your file system.
It didn't crash the game so I said one more turn and saved the game 1 turn after victory. Still okay to submit that one?

Should be fine. Try it. If there's a problem then it will be flagged up during the submission process.

It must be that. I'll check tonight when I get back on that system.

I know it's not a permissions issue as my account is the admin account of the system (I'm too lazy to actually do it the "proper" way ;) ).

Thanks for the quick replies.

I'm finally going to start this...

By the way, I expect to settle in place. I will enjoy that chart that shows everyone's settling decisions for sure in this one...

That happens to me with BOTMs, but not GOTMs. I save 1 turn after victory as you did and my games are accepted.

That happens to me with BOTMs, but not GOTMs. I save 1 turn after victory as you did and my games are accepted.
The wierd filename is made of three letter truncations of the game parameters ... leader, difficulty, speed, map, etc. ... actually very logical! ;)

That save on exit failure happens to me intermittently as well. I think I have had it in some, but not all, of GOTM and BOTM. I may go dredge up some old saves and test them out ... is it a type specific issue, or less predictable than that? I think it has gone both ways within a type for me.

And is it a Vista thing? :rolleyes:

In any event, folks should not count on save on exit to work every time ... still do those manual saves for your mid-game logoffs.

dV

Top Bottom