1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 171 Results and Congratulations

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

BOTM 171 Results.

Domination was the most popular victory condition (7),
    Pangaea achieved his very first gold medal dominating in 1270 ad, even beating Kaitzilla's 1370 ad silver medal conquest.
    Bronze and the cow went to Termitnik
    Three went to Space. shakabrade's 1725 date beating frederiksberg's 1735 date from botm170.
    Only UB40 achieved a Diplomatic victory.
    Three AIs (and no players) managed to win with Culture.

Congratulations to all.
    Thanks for playing and for submitting even if you didn't finish. Hope you all had fun.

Summary of Medal Winners
    :

Pangaea: 1270 AD Domination Victory, 271,887 points.

Kaitzilla: 1370 AD Conquest Victory, 267,048 points.

Termitnik: 1828 AD Domination Victory, 207,404 points.

Fastest Finish Award Winners:

shakabrade: 1725 AD Spaceship Victory, 156,408 points.

UB40: 1911 AD Diplomatic Victory, 34,506 points.

Other Award Winners:

Anatoly: 1960 AD Domination Victory, 28,007 points.

HassiSan: 1995 AD Spaceship Victory, 20,049 points.

greatbeyond: 1942 AD Cultural Loss, 3,652 points.

Berolsaurus: 1990 AD Cultural Loss, 2,422 points.

First Submission, Welcome: :dance:
    :band:Anatoly
    :band:Berolsaurus
    :band:jerza

>> See the full results here.
    >> See the updated global rankings here.
    >> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
    >> You can see and compare graphic replays of all the submissions here.
    >> Award symbols are listed here.

Anatoly and Pangaea like this.
  2. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

Here's where everyone settled.

The Small Print:
    The numbers by each player's name indicate the turn settled on (starting turn is 0). Players are colour coded by game class (challenger=red, adventurer=blue). Symbols indicate victory condition, if there's no symbol then the player either retired or was defeated. The yellow border indicates the land that was visible at the start of the game.

3. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

Congratulations to everyone. :goodjob: These are good dates for the map this huge and requiring Astronomy. :D

I remember this one pretty well. I was surprised how slow Emperor AIs were the game before and was much more careful to maintain decent tech rate for the whole game. Could not get the Mids as they were far away and could not capture too much as that would have slowed early and mid game tech pace too much for ok space date. Low level AIs tech slowly and can't help you via tech trading to catch up. Whoever got Mids in China or Inca or even in one of Frances, won a lottery. For space, 25T better date easily. But I guess it did not matter as only I tried for space from the start. I know Kaitzilla also had faraway Mids and still pulled out really good Conquest, so when you're good, you're good. :goodjob:

I am happy to prove that Workshops can be almost as good as Corps but also sad not to see frederiksberg with his corps on this map for the direct comparison.

4. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Woooooh! :hug::woohoo:

Have wanted that gold for several years while playing, so really cool to finally get it. Close again, though. So many good players here, and I'm glad to see there is more participation now than what I recall when I last played about a year ago. Thank you for running all these maps. It's the main reason I play Civ 4 these days.

Remember the game reasonably well, and got off to a good start with crushing 3 AIs by 1AD, then Louis soon after that. Found a screenshot with a +25 pop HG, which is really nice on standard speed. From what I recall that was about what we could expect on Marathon too, when we ran all those marathon games a few years ago.

5. jerza

jerza Chieftain

great :) it's a pitty I had to send an incomplete game save, I actually finished the game about 5 hrs after the deadline and would have been awarded the green ambulance :D

btw. I was wondering if the people who have a play time 60++ hrs really played for that long (or just have left the game open for long periods of time when they were actually not playing)

6. Anatoly

Anatoly Chieftain

Congrats everyone:goodjob:

I still don´t get it how is possible so high score and so early conquest on this map:lol: Problably my starts are too slow and that´s why my score is so low:lol: Next time I´ll try to be more aggresive and more expansive:)

7. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

I'm a notoriously slow player, sometimes simply spend time to look over the empire without actually "playing", if that makes sense. Some hours will be with the game in the background, but mostly I am active playing when the game is up, and shut it down when I'm not. Also need to quit and reload a fair few times, because the game gets very laggy when you play for hours, especially in the later parts with tons of units. Probably a memory leak of some sort.

For me, I'm amazed people can play to 1800-1900AD in only 5-10 hours. I can spend that by 1AD :lol:

Also, some games take a little more time than 60 hours. Like this one :D

WastinTime and Anatoly like this.
  8. jerza

jerza Chieftain

well, that is a LONG game indeed :D maybe actually borders on wasting time (pun intended :))
    my longest game was 45hrs (huge pangea on marathon), actually took me 6 weeks to finish.. if I were to play a 80ish hr game now, I guess I wouldn't finish before christmas :D:D

9. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

I usually play roughly 12-15 effective hours per game, regardless of win date and condition. But if I did not have family and work pulling me back into RL, I'd play 25 hours a game. I think that is actually what well planned and executed game takes. There is a lot to do in the game every turn. Just looking at city screens and all trades every turn is like 5 hours. :D

krikav likes this.
  10. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Congrats on the gold Pangaea. :)
    I pulled no punches in my game, and frequently pump population once I know I have enough stuff to win as fast as possible.

Amazing with Charlie on tectonics. :goodjob:
    I'll start doing space in BOTM 174 to see how I compare with the space cadets.

shakabrade and Pangaea like this.
  11. nocho

nocho Chieftain

Glad you got your well deserved gold, Pangaea!

Played this until the early ADs but couldn't find time to finish, afraid same will happen with 172. :sad:

Pangaea likes this.
  12. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

@Kaitzilla why would tectonics make it harder?

Looking forward to your attempt and BOTM 174 could easily be on Deity. When I see the usual Deity maps here, they seem always a bit easier version of Deity therefore it could actually be easier to get good space date due to much better trade partners. Especially if there is Mansa on the map. I really think Deity is more forgiving about the early and mid game warring. Do you see my point?

I will definitely try to participate in that one also, but will see after which award to go after BOTM 172 results. I'll probably skip BOTM 173, need to catch up with some projects a bit, and will be away from my PC for some time.

13. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Oops, I thought the map was a different type than tectonics.
    My mistake! :o

Yes, the Deity maps in GOTM have built in safeties to keep the player from dying at the start usually.
    The early game is much safer than normal.

See you in 174 hopefully :)

14. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

Well, I see my thoughts about grabbing the only Conquest victory was futile, since Kaitzilla was more than half a millennium ahead of me. And, while I might have grabbed the cow if I had dragged out the game for another century, Termitnik put my base score to shame, with a victory a century earlier than mine.

Thanks for the game, Deckhand!

15. Frederiksberg

Frederiksberg Chieftain

Never had a Space win on Deity. But I'm up for the challenge :thumbsup:

Great Space date by shakabrade. Workshops rule......

..... but so does corporations :smoke:

16. Unmnemonic

Unmnemonic Chieftain

Congrats to all! Those Dom/Conq victories so early on such a big map are impressive.

I'm a painfully slow player. I just wrapped up this game! Got a UN victory in 1932, abandoning a Dom effort when it became clear I didn't expand nearly enough in BC.

Many thanks to those who provide these maps to play. Just because I'm too late to post doesn't mean I'm not enjoying myself... I'll see if I can quicken my pace and actually submit a game someday.

Deckhand likes this.