1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 172... Saladin, Immortal.... Starts 15 March

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Mar 9, 2019.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 172: Saladin of Arabia.

Imagine if the arabs started in woodland instead of desert... Well, this is it!

Because exploring is a bit slow in woods, you start with a great spy to help. The spy has already had a scout around, which means you can see a bit more of the starting area than normal. The spy has also heard through some 'contacts' that somewhere away from the World that everyone knows, the lies a fantastic island on which lie strange objects that are nowhere to be found in the real World. Rumour has it that the ancient explorer Mohammed bin Pliny of Euclidum the Magnificent once took a small sailing boat to the island and was able to go round it and reach the other side of the World. But since everyone knows the World is flat, noone really believes this.

Game settings:
    Playing as: Saladin of Arabia
    Rivals: 6 AIs
    Difficulty: Immortal
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: No goody huts, no random events
    Victory Conditions:
    All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Arboria
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Standard
    Climate: Tropical
    Sea level: Medium
    Map latitudes: -50°S to 50°N

Saladin is Protective and Spiritual, and you start with Mysticism and The Wheel.

The Protective trait gives free City Garrison I and Drill I promotion for archery and gunpowder units and double production speed of Castle and Walls

The Spiritual trait gives no anarchy and double production speed of Temple and Cristo Redentor

Unique unit: Camel Archer (replaces Knight)
    The Camel Archer benefits from: can withdraw from combat (15% chance), requires knowledge of Guilds, Horseback Riding and Archery, and requires access to nothing. This compares with the Knight which has: cannot withdraw from combat, requires knowledge of Guilds and Horseback Riding, and requires access to horse and iron.

Unique Building: Madrassa (replaces Library)
    This gives +4 culture/turn compared to the +2 of the library. And where the library allows 2 citizens to work as scientists, the madrassa allows another 2 citizens to work as priests as well.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

Adventurer Class bonuses:
    Yes, because it's a hard map, I've provided an adventurer save. You start with a worker on the same tile as the settler.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 15 Mar 2019, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 15 Apr 2019.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Terrible start position. Best visible tile is under jungle (which is not supposed to be in starting BFCs by the way...did not think Arboria maps had any jungle). I'm tempted to burn two turns to settle 2E on PH for some rivers. Pigs are irrelevant for a very long time. Clearly a resource on the open PH and a resource 2E of where the warrior stands. Cross fingers that there is more deer to the E..good chance on this map as it has a plethora of venison. Pigs can be settled in the distant future for sliver/marble.

Another option may be to actually settle on the Pigs, though I hate to do that to such a good resource and really don't like the city placement there.

Settling on dyes offers a little commerce boost as well

I like Arboria maps otherwise. So infrequently played, but quite interesting. Missing several happy resources though, although I guess this mystery island remedies that issue.

edit: Rolled an Arboria game, and on the first roll there was jungle in the start position. So it is a non-standard map script primarily all forest, with a little jungle here and there.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  3. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

What an awful start :( The jungled pig made me think about the usual saying about map-makers... but from the post above it sounds like crap like this can happen naturally. Means settling in place isn't very tempting at all. 2E1S will grab two deers for half-decent food, but on the plains hill is perhaps still better, provided there is more food in the fog. Then another kick in the teeth. Apparently the dye is jungled too, meaning it takes two turns to move over there, and we can't cottage it until Calendar.

Moving the warrior onto the mentioned PH should reveal a few more tiles due to the naked grassland (probably a resource?). We have a GSpy too, and moving that geezer will reveal a little too, albeit settling up north doesn't look very tempting either.

2W (or 2W1S) for the coast is a blind gamble as we risk zero seafood. All in all I've no idea where to settle, but maybe wasting two turns for the plains hill 2E is the lesser evil approach?

If the pigs hadn't been useless for 3000 years, I'd probably just settle on the dye and call it a day.

4. lymond

2E1S is actually something I was considering as well and almost mentioned it. Only thing is it burns a cottage-able tile, and well bureau-friendly caps are at a premium on this map. You have to work with the best you got here. That's why I like 2E as you get some more river tiles, and eventually dyes. But warrior move is indeed first. Really banking on 1 or more food resources - namely deer - in the fog. Like Boreal, there's deer everywhere on this map.

Two tiles should be unfogged to the E, but the 1tile that would be in that bfc (3E2N of warrior) will remain dark I think. If no food presents itself, then settling on dyes might be best. Still some river tiles and a lot of flat grass (plus two potential bonus resources although one will be food deficit). Not ideal, but really on this map there is much to work with in terms of bureau caps. 1E or 2E at least provides a starting bonus of some sort.

Right now, I'm thinking Hunt>BW>POT

5. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

I don't like burning that tile either, but about buro caps, do you mean in this specific map or Arboria in general? Because I generated 3 maps now, and I'm seeing juicy rivers all over the place, so it looks like there are many potentially good spots for buro caps.

Anyway, this spot is pretty poor, and moving east looks most promising. If I play this game (right now I'm thinking no) I'd probably move the warrior onto the plains hill and see if there is anything in the fog. And pretty much no matter what move the settler onto the dye. Then move the warrior again and see if there is food in the tiles for PH that he doesn't unravel with the first move. If there is, move onto the PH, and if not, maybe settle on the dye. That would be taking a very, very long view with jungled pigs. The extra commerce will help slightly, also in view of the fact we need BW here, and need 3 techs for it.

But the spot I'm thinking most about is indeed the PH. Even though we waste two turns moving there, we still get the worker out 1 turn sooner than with e.g. SIP. Well, with borders expanding we'll grab 4-yield deer on both spots, and I can't be arsed to do the math, but PH should be quicker in any case.

Starting techs are kinda crap here, but at least the wheel means the worker can make some roads until BW is in and he can start chopping after improving the deer. There is also the naked PH further north to mine, that hopefully contains metal instead of something like coal or aluminum.

Any ideas about best use of the GSpy, apart from early scouting? Suppose it depends a bit on who is nearby, if they tech well, but some tech stealing might be in order?

6. lymond

I don't know..I guess it is just my experience playing this map in the past, which is not often at all. yeah, there are rivers on the map but don't seem to be as conducive to bureau type caps..and no FPs at all. Point was that you make do with what you have. Hammer economy probably better on this map than most.

Good point on getting the additional warrior move before moving the settler further E, although at this point one is fairly committed to that move. I think there is a good chance of at least one more deer in the fog.

Definitely think scouting with the GSpy will be beneficial for a while, considering scouting will otherwise be slow and dangerous on this map....all forests, and from experience it spawns a few bears as well. Nice safe scouting with the Gspy. Eventually using him the spy mission to facilitate some good tech stealing. Probably the best use, though I think settling the spy has merit as well, especially on the - likely low chance- of stone nearby. Spy mission probably has the best shorter term benefit with the the stealing. However, I've always liked having the extra EPs per turn to work with in order to see multiple AIs stuff. One can always play with that for a while and eventually focus more on a target for some steals. Golden Age later is another option as well.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  7. lymond

I worked up a little test game.attached

Attached Files:

8. Berolsaurus

Berolsaurus Chieftain

I may try this. It is way above my experience level, so it might get ugly quick :sad:

9. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Chieftain

Since the World is flat, sailing to the other side of it is relatively easy. Think Pirates of the Caribbean. Getting back may be more difficult and may require a green flash.
    However since this is immortal level and we have almost no economy boosters (only a forested silver) the other civs will undoubtedly send us to the Davy Jones' Locker anyway.

10. WastinTime

WastinTime Chieftain Supporter

The foolish inhabitants think the world is flat, but you can prove them wrong...
    And it sounds like Astronomy is not needed...

11. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Spoiler threads? I'm not quite at 1AD yet as I'm now trying to finish the 170 game, but I see a few have submitted already.

12. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Done. Thanks for the reminder!

13. pomthom

pomthom Drive & Reverb

Ok let's give this a go...
    :ninja:

14. pomthom

pomthom Drive & Reverb

Awww thanks buddy :goodjob:

15. pomthom

pomthom Drive & Reverb

Does the Great Spy fogbust as no one can see him? :hmm:

16. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

this was posted after BTS release so I guess DanF info is accurate.

edit: my understanding is that it is not related to unit vision.

Pangaea and pomthom like this.
  17. pomthom

pomthom Drive & Reverb

That's exactly the answer I was looking for.

18. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

That's an amazing thread btw! (use the "arrow up" link)

I'm so impressed by all the knowledge @DanF5771 managed to wring from the game by looking at the code. So much of what we currently know, like the barb-busting rule, is due to him sharing his findings. When working on Civ Illustrated we/I also heavily relied on his grand overview of AI leader behaviour. It's basically the same as in the game files, but it is of course much easier to work with for the human mind when looking at stuff in Excel than in colossal text files.

Wish he was still active tbh. Wonder what he is up to these days.

19. WastinTime

WastinTime Chieftain Supporter

I remember playing an SGotM with DanF. I didn't know his reputation, but got to experience his problem solving first hand. He figured out a way to gift a missionary to the AI while we were at war! (so they would spread our religion for us)