1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 174 Isabella Deity Results and Congratulations

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

Congratulations to all who braved this Deity game. Some amazing results and good posts in the Spoilers.
    Spaceship Victory was most popular, achieved by 3 humans and 1 AI; two Conquest; and two Diplomatic victories. Only the AI managed a Cultural win. No Domination victories is unusual. Four incompletes, thanks for submitting and posting.

Fippy got the gold, absolutely crushing all before her. BornInCantaloup and Kaitzilla had a very close race for silver/bronze with different peaceful victories.

Summary of Medal Winners:

Fippy: 1340 AD Conquest Victory, 497,469 points.

BornInCantaloup: 1665 AD Diplomatic Victory, 250,449 points.

Kaitzilla: 1818 AD Spaceship Victory, 248,902 points.

Other Award Winners:

shyuhe: 1862 AD Diplomatic Victory, 92,084 points.

MarleysGh0st: 1830 AD Conquest Victory, 88,862 points.

jerza: 1858 AD Spaceship Victory, 38,647 points.

greatbeyond: 1939 AD Spaceship Loss, 3,210 points.

Pious_Pete: 1750 AD Cultural Loss, 2,042 points.

Here's where everyone settled there second city. Presettled first city was at "Madrid". Lots of variation. I would welcome some discussion.

The Small Print:
    The numbers by each player's name indicate the turn settled on (starting turn is 0). Players are colour coded by game class (challenger=red, adventurer=blue). Symbols indicate victory condition, if there's no symbol then the player either retired or was defeated. The yellow border indicates the land that was visible at the start of the game

>> See the full results here.
    >> See the updated global rankings here.
    >> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
    >> You can see and compare graphic replays of all the submissions here.
    >> Award symbols are listed here.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  2. BornInCantaloup

BornInCantaloup Agent of Chaos

First thing, I'd like to congratulate the players who aren't accustomed to Deity and, nevertheless, completed this game, sometimes achieving very respectable victories. Erf ! Words fail me.Some of the Permanent Alliance wins are awesome. Not kidding in the least, here.

The map clearly offered a commerce vs food question for city 2 : do you settle the southern corn or do you go for the gems ?
    I don't think we can clear this question in this thread but I went for the food and was happy about it. The variety of locations for city 2 is interesting, though. I liked the space we were given but I did recognize there weren't any obvious city locations.
    Srrryyyyyy, my sound is blasting and I'm having a hard time focusing.

3. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

Totally agree, 8 wins for a regular difficulty deity map are impressive.
    What a nice and active forum ~~

Merci again to Deckhand for providing this unique map.
    Imo permanent alliances are perfect to make such tuff games fun for all players,
    they are not something that you have to use (if you like hard deity games like me) and leave all options open.

@bic 2nd city, i strongly favored getting gems cos pigs can be shared with Madrid.
    Your pick is also nice, but with Izzy i usually worry about teching early ;)
    PH north (where 3 settled) lacks food, not too great for a city that should still support expansion early.

4. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

It's definitely remarkable to see so many deity wins. Well done everyone!

The range of dates for the 2nd city intrigues me too. I see that the vast majority of people who managed to win settled their 2nd city sometime between turn 32 and 41 - a fairly narrow range (jerza was the obvious exception). I think that's the kind of date you'd get by building a worker first then a settler as soon as the capital has grown to somewhere between size 2 and 4. There's not a lot of data here, but I can't help noticing that most people who settled their 2nd city outside that range didn't manage to win. Could be coincidence of course :)

5. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

my oh my, MY! ;) Those points! wow! Truly amazing victory...

Congrats to all the victors

Fippy likes this.
  6. Deckhand

I don't think there are enough samples to draw a conclusion. Really only Pious_Pete, turn 67. He spent a lot of turns walking for a poor city location: lots of jungle, little food.

7. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

Good point by @DynamicSpirit thou,
    on deity it's not so much about missing city #2 if settled later than t40 (with gems each turn means lost commerce thou),
    but it's an indication of something not going so well.
    Barbs start rushing in from turn ~37 on, and city #2 is planned along with barb defense often.
    Also it's culture can help fogbusting an area, or clearing out barbs in one direction at least.

So overall we can say, on deity we are under pressure to make good development early.

8. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

Nuts, I should have just finished my game for domination (through a PA, the lack of iron and horses really killed me). I assumed all of the finishers would have gone for a military victory.

Congrats to the winners!

9. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

Congratulations everyone on the wins! Some impressive dates and crowd control out there. :goodjob:
    @Fippy with Zerg rush as always, @BornInCantaloup recovered after Joao messed with the plan.
    That @Kaitzilla space finish is impressive without resources. Would corps have helped the date (for Al)?

Maybe we could have more frequent deity games considering the participation?

Don't want to be the complaining guy but... I would have also liked that deadlines in the future get extended at least a week before deadline but preferably no extensions at all as timeframe also defines approach from the beginning. (I am turning into Duckweed with no extension policy, jeez, comes with age I guess.) These games take a while and some have to plan ahead and sacrifice to get the time for playing. I retired cause I thought there was no time but wanted to show appreciation to the mapmakers, but in the end I managed to finish BOTM 175 before BOTM 174 deadline.

10. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

:lol: Some day i will have to go for Space, or nobody believes that i can.

11. Deckhand

Good idea. Currently doing them every three months. Perhaps do them every two with six weeks to play?

There was no extension. I allowed extra time for this game from the beginning. I didn't notice this comment before thinking six weeks would be good. Or would a full two months be better?

12. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

Then I have totally missed that somehow or mixed something up when I wrote it in the schedule. Sorry for unnecessary everything.

13. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

Reducing the time between deity games would be a good idea,
    we have several players in S&T who are mostly interested in them (me too ofc, happy to play them).

14. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Whoa, my favorite BOTM map results are in!

Looks like @Fippy torched the field. :goodjob:
    Then set it on fire.

I checked the 1st two checkpoints to see how I fared.
    Bronze Working before Writing was likely the stronger move, but I was betting that Bronze was not nearby.
    By the time Joao dow'd me, I was behind by Aesthetics, Alphabet, and Iron Working.
    Spoiler :
    Kaitzilla - Turn 49

Fippy - Turn 51

Kaitzilla - Turn 80 war with Joao :(

Fippy - Turn 82

Replay Snapshot - Turn 87

Nice working beating everybody by a zillion and crushing the map.

Very solid game @BornInCantaloup .
    Killed the superpower Washington in the 1000AD's, and then later the Inca. :thumbsup:

Feel for you losing the UN by 2 turns. I lost the Kremlin by 1 turn to Inca >_<
    I too sent my workboat south and had it turned back by the mapmaker.
    Also had a Galley ready to get a Settler to that marble island, but it got sunk by a Privateer.

Special shout-out to @hhhawk who got a Space Victory on the same turn as me, but only put in 15% as much time. :crazyeye:
    Another great use of Permanent Alliance alongside Jerza and MarleysGh0st.

krikav and Fippy like this.
  15. BornInCantaloup

BornInCantaloup Agent of Chaos

I agree it was a great map. Losing the UN to Joao cost me 20 turns towards a victory, roughly, maybe 15. I didn't care much, I was more going for score than speed. Although I kinda failed at scoring... should have taken out Monty before Huayna to max score... But Huayna had built the Mausoleum, which I felt I had to conquer.
    (If I built the UN, I ran against Monty and had insta Joao + Louis vote ; as it went, I dunno, maybe a more seasoned player than I am would have made it worked anyway before 1600 AD.) (A better drilled player would also not let Montezuma capitulate Huayna after having himself bribed Monty in the war and still having the tech to bribe him out...) (I'm really bad at this diplo thing)

On Bronze before Writing, I think it's all about improving tiles. I've been very focused on doing that. Improving cottages early, chopping into workers and granaries.
    I did, however, neglect gpp and also military production. I went more for a commerce overload and expanded after I reached a plateau. Ideally, you'd never want to reach a plateau. I did draft seriously (burning two cities to the ground and spreading unhapp between the others) but I got there without pushing. Then I lost like 1 Treb per city and a rifle here and there... It was a very successful war (although less flashy than Conquistadors).
    I you compare 1AD screens from Fippy's and my game, it's interesting to see how I've got all my tiles improved but almost no GP produced, whereas she's lacking in improved tiles but rocking it in gpp. Fippy's Liberalism play is very strong.

This is my 2000 BC. 3 workers, 4 warriors, 1 granary done, cottaging already :
    Spoiler :

Those EXP mines aren't half-bad early on, producing workers and granaries.
    On score, in fact, I should have prioritized Sushi a lot more and found it earlier. I think I founded it in 1490 AD. But... After I got Electricity and maybe even Radio.
    I really wanted to make a play for the Broadcast Tower wonders and Sushi-flip some of Joao's cities. And I was afraid to tank my economy with Sushi, all while producing units and building infra... So I delayed it.

If I can take a lesson, it would be to push production earlier (military) and sacrifice some tile workage in favour of much stronger early gpp.

We mentionned the corn vs gems dilemma @ where to settle Barcelona... To be fair, I could get an opportunistic shot at Oracle -> CoL, which made up for my early science delay.

1000 BC (I don't have no t80 save). Still no Library but 4 granaries done and having the tech to expand to final borders - CoL -> Oracle meant I could (I guess) get to 8 cities earlier than you could. 5 workers and you can see the commerce base around Madrid getting serious :
    Spoiler :

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    krikav and Fippy like this.
  16. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I would too like more deity games.
    Just make sure that there are challenger saves or other things (like this PA) to make it enjoyable for everyone else too.

An alternative would be to provide challenger saves for regular games, so that points and scoring is just normal, and if I pick the deity challenger save I will probably not get any medals, but I can tag along and have fun anyway.

17. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

You probably mean adventurer (less challenging).

But maybe we could have challenger deity save for @Fippy.:devil:

Fippy likes this.
  18. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Indeed! My's save starts with no settler ;)

Fippy likes this.
  19. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

No, what I mean is that when botm is on monarch/prince/etc/etc, there could also be provided a challenger save on deity.

So when some just enjoy their regular monarch game, some take the adventurer save for noble difficulty, some take the regular monarch game but play it HOF-style to get a very high score...
    Then I could just play the challenger save on deity, likely forfeiting any medals but just get to enjoy a challenge in good company.

Fippy likes this.
  20. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

I will give you a chance next time..maybe :mischief: :)