1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 174 Isabella of Spain starts 20April

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Ya, the map is 84 tiles wide and 52 tiles tall on normal Big and Small.
    A hefty 1250 land tiles usually.

It would take huge guts to go for a religion against 5 Deity AI, hoping one them does not start with Mysticism.

Almost has to be Agriculture -> Animal Husbandry unless someone is comfortable growing with a Granary, unimproved corn, and unimproved pig.
    But then how does one make a Settler with no improved tiles?

Without aggressive AI, Worker stealing is a questionable risk with only 5 AI to trade with, Deity AI that won't ceasefire, and Izzy being able to make them easier.
    But the capital does have a Castle. :lol:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  2. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

I would say Mining after Agri,
    worker will be out fast and AH not ready in time for pigs improvement.
    But plenty hills for mines, they are okay early.

3. Frederiksberg

Frederiksberg Chieftain

@shakabrade I totally get what you are saying. It's going to be a long and tough game, so no promises from me. Except that I will try for space :mischief:.

@Kaitzilla . Agri + AH is also my plan. It involves a few idle worker turns, but that's OK. After that I have to figure out whether to go for BW first or straight to Alpha or something that can be traded for Alpha.

Off to the game :rockon:

4. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I think agri->mining is the way to go too. If Agri->AH, then one would have to spend time doing some riverside grassland farms which won't be needed in this food rich capital, and they will be replaced with cottages soon enough.
    But initial scouting will reveal more info, we could stumble upon alot of cows.

5. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

Very pleased with all the interest from high level players.
    Hope you play and win.
    For all those who haven't posted in this thread yet: remember there is an Emperor level Adventurer save.
    Have Fun.

First Spoiler is up.

6. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

This was indeed my meaning when saying hard choices may need to be made. Agri-AH may not be the best way to go here, and I'd be tempted to go Agri-Mining instead. The food should be sufficient, and I don't like passive workers.

Was a bit confused yesterday when the GOTM page said "less than one hour until release" for about three hours, but I suppose it's actually out now. Good luck (and please don't choke on cheese).

krikav likes this.
  7. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Do the AIs in the adventurer save still start with the same (deity) units as the normal save?

8. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

What do people think of the conquistadors. Defensive bonuses are pretty good, but their main benefit appears to be the bonuses against melee units. But, given the techs you have to learn to build conquistadors... are they going to encounter many AI melee units on deity level?

On the other hand, that citadel in the capital does mean you can build CR2 catapults straight out of the box (can - better - with barracks, catapults that will very quickly get promoted to CR3). That seems to make a war-with catapults+melee units more favourable than normal.

I never normally fancy deity so will probably try the adventurer save. If there's unseen food to the NW, then to my mind, the 2nd city almost has to go NW of the capital to start working those gems. Actually even if there's no food I'd still be tempted to settle it next to the gems because that early commerce boost would be so good.

9. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Yes, you do encounter a rather nasty melee unit when you do a cuirs breakout (or conqs in this case).
    Thats the dreaded pikeman!
    So the bonus against melee is rather nice as it conserves your units and lets you push abit further.

The citadel could absolutely play a role in some early construction war, CR3 siege is no joke!
    SW of the gems is a nice city spot, as that spot could borrow the pigs temporarily every now and then to grow, even if there is no other food around the gems. Tile sharing at it's finest! ;)

10. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

Ooh, Yes!
    meant to mention that

11. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Conks are a Top 5 UU. Significant bonus over base of an already excellent unit in the Cur, which is a high level go to unit, including a bonus against the unit's direct counter in the Pike. And yes, one will face pikes on Deity...likely quite a few. Citadel definitely has its uses if one chooses the Lib>Steel path, but that can be a bit more challenging to achieve on Deity. Not impossible though depending on how good a player one is. It should be noted, that like the standard castle building, the Citadel obsoletes with Economics.

12. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

It's a fantastic UU really. Boosts an already awesome "break out" unit with bonus to their worst nightmare, the pike (yeah yeah, mutters something about rifling...). You're likely to face pikes on Deity as well, and Maces. Fortified maces in 60% cities can be pretty brutal too. Conqs are good against both. Ofc much depends on opponents, map, etc. For all we know we are isolated and need paratroopers to attack AIs behind a massive range of mountains :lol:

13. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Their defensive bonus sometimes gets underrated i guess,
    let's say you have your Conqs stack on a forest? 50% means almost Infantry strength on defense :)

So depending on your movement, you have an almost untouchable doom stack running around and can pick your targets at ease.

pomthom and krikav like this.
  14. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

good civ/awesome leader, watery map and PA (spiritual :yumyum:) should help... that's what I hope at least :lol:. I'll try for another dom/conquest game. (all that talk about citadels and conqs, I feel unstoppable already!)

pomthom likes this.