1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 175 Suryavarman of Khmer starts 3May

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

BOTM 175: Suryavarman of Khmer.

Suryavarman II of Khmer. You start with two scouts and two settlers and 90 gold.
    Because of the popularity of the last deity game - Other civilizations start with deity techs and units:
    wheel, agriculture, hunting, archery, [also possibly fishing, mining, or mysticism depending on civilization];
    2 scouts, 2 settlers, 4 archers, 1 worker. They also start with 100 gold.

Game settings:
    Playing as: Suryavarman of Khmer
    Rivals: 6 AIs
    Difficulty: Noble
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: No barbarians, random personalities (yes huts, yes events)
    Victory Conditions: All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Fractal
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Worldsize_standard
    Climate: Climate_temperate
    Sea level: Sealevel_low

Suryavarman is Expansive and Creative, and you start with Hunting and Mining.
    The Expansive trait gives +2 health/city and +25% hammers for worker production and double production speed of Granary and Harbor

The Creative trait gives +2 culture/city each turn and double production speed of Colosseum, Library and Theatre

Unique unit: Ballista Elephant (replaces War Elephant)
    + 50% combat strength vs mounted units.
    Targets mounted units first outside cities.

Unique Building: Baray (replaces Aqueduct)
    +1 :food: in addition to Aqueduct +2 :health:

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 3 May 2019, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 3 Jun 2019.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.
    While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  2. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

Interesting. Everyone starts with two settlers, so the map will fill up quickly. Meanwhile, the bonus units and techs for the AI will protect them from early rushes, without being a permanent advantage. Most important, considering recent conversations about the higher level games, random personalities should prevent those who have memorized the charts and formulae from being able to predict every move of their opponents. Gandhi might be feeling like Monty, right? :crazyeye:

So, where should my settlers go? Not a lot of food resources in sight, so I've got to send the scouts out first to see what they find. Move the southern scout SE and the northern one NE, SE to see if that's a coast or a lake? If I settle on the silk, that's an extra gpt for my city, right?

And with two settlers, the first one to build a city down becomes our capital. That will be a factor to consider, too.

3. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Chieftain

Kindly look at the starting screenshot and amend your statement to +25% hammers for worker production.

I might explore a bit before settling since this is only noble. First will see if the water 1N3E of the north group is fresh or not. Then will decide where to explore. Thanks for having huts since we have 2 scouts. Unfortunately the barbs will soon replace animals since everyone will have 2 cities from the start so the scouts will probably die soon.
    I wonder if everyone we meet has a mounted unique unit? I'm guessing either that or a spear/pikeman uu.

4. Deckhand

@HKJJ, nice to hear from you
    Thanks for remembering the error in the auto text for expansive, we forget it everytime.
    I actually playtested this one a bit after posting it. None of my scouts encountered any animals. :mischief: First hut was another scout. Others were gold or maps. The AIs also have two scouts. I was surprised - I actually found a hut or two away from our start area. And some I saw just before AI took them.

5. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Only Humbabas, huh? Well, that's cool.

6. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

@MarleysGh0st Settling on riverside silk does give you a 2 commerce city center.
    However, that would come at the cost of moving away from pigs in your citys BFC, so I would consider that option very carefully. Food is king! :)

7. jerza

jerza Chieftain

I might be missing something, but how does the discussion about animals/barbs relate to "Options: No barbarians"?

8. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

You are not missing anything ;)

9. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Chieftain

No, I am. Apparently the (yes huts, yes events) erased all previous input on random personalities and lack of barbarism.
    Although I'm guessing we'll have enough barbaric AI civs around. That's only realism, there are many barbaric RL nations and leaders, many with nukes and no morals. Can't say more or I'm banned. Can't mention getting banned or I'm banned. Guess I'm banned.

10. BornInCantaloup

BornInCantaloup Agent of Chaos

Settling both cities by the river could be good for trade routes.

11. Berolsaurus

Berolsaurus Chieftain

Not sure if this is an error but it seems most new game posts are stickied to the top of the forum. This one is just down below in the normal posts.

12. lymond

All new posts start as normal posts. It takes a Mod to sticky a post, and Deck is not a mod. Dynamic Spirit just hasn’t gotten round to moving it up yet. It happens.

13. Berolsaurus

Berolsaurus Chieftain

Ah, that makes sense. Still new here and didn't realize it worked that way. Thanks for the info.

14. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

For what it's worth, I wondered about it too. Some threads could probably be un-stickied too by now. Kinda full up there.

15. cseanny

cseanny Chieftain

We've got some bad rain in Fresno today. While playing I had a loss of power and game crash. Only 4 unit moves, one whip, and two city tile changes have to be made; it's only 2440 with 2 cities, so not a lot going on yet.

Anyways, once submitting my game do I just use the HoF rules and email here hof.civfanatics@gmail.com ?

cheers in advance.

16. Deckhand

cseanny likes this.
  17. cseanny

cseanny Chieftain

@Deckhand It appears I'll never get an actual GOTM submitted =/. In the past few days I've recently submitted 3 HoF games with no issues and my "config" savings were for 25 saves at 1 turn intervals. After logging back to the Sury game this morning after my game crash yesterday my Auto Save settings were RESET. What's more strange is that the 2 options for # of turn and # of interval in my "config" file was completely missing. This is something which normally only happens upon initial install and play of the game and or mods, so I'm seriously scratching my head how a game crash would lead to this. Actually, it seems the reset would have happened BEFORE the game crash, but I still find that odd since my HoF games were set correctly. Anyways.......................

I'm actually a bit pissed off heh. Whatever. On to the next game............

edit: I'm paranoid now. Time to reinstall everything!! Rant over ;D.

cheers and thanks for listening.

18. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

A week or so ago, I thought I would try out a HOF game and tried the Hannibal2Space challenge. At T150 or something around there I had a crash and just quickly started the game and loaded the latest autosave, was very suprised when I came into the game and it was at around T100.
    Have NO clue what happend, because I have never had any issues with autosaving before or after that, but that did bring me to buy the game from GOG with the intent of doing a fresh install (have had enough of steam nonsense, I really want a standalone version).
    The price was 75% off to, very nice!

Haven't taken myself the time to actually do the install though. :)

cseanny likes this.
  19. lymond

I used to have issues with the config file completely resetting itself - and I recall others having that issue sometimes too. I used to save a copy of the config just in case. I could tell almost immediately when it was reset upon loading the game as there were some other settings more noticeable like my name. Hasn't happened to me in a long time though for some reason.

cseanny likes this.
  20. Deckhand

Yup, has happened to me too. Autosave reset to 4 instead of 1.
    We will still accept a four turn replay if that is what happened.