1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 179 Winnie of England starts 12July

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

BOTM 179: Winnie of England.

Can you win as Winnie? This should be a hard monarch game. No tech trading hurts the human player and slows down the tech pace. Churchill hasn't starred since Nov 2013. "If you touch it, you buy it" - no razing and no flipping will also make the game different.

Game settings:
    Playing as: Winnie of England
    Rivals: 6 AIs
    Difficulty: Monarch
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: No city razing, no city culture-flipping, no tech trading, no vassal states, no goody huts, no random events
    Victory Conditions:
    All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Global Highlands - Snaky Continents
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Worldsize_standard
    Climate: Climate_temperate
    Sea level: Sealevel_low

Winnie is Charismatic and Protective, and you start with Fishing and Mining.
    The Charismatic trait gives +1 happiness/city, and -25% experience required for unit promotions
    +1:) for monument and broadcast tower

The Protective trait gives free City Garrison I and Drill I promotion for archery and gunpowder units and double production speed of Castle and Walls

Unique unit: Redcoat (replaces Rifleman)
    The Redcoat benefits from: 25% combat bonus against mounted units, 25% combat bonus against gun units. This compares with the Rifleman which has: 25% combat bonus against mounted units.

Unique Building: Stock Exchange (replaces Bank)
    Stock exchange provides +65% :gold: instead of Bank's mere +50%.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 12 Jul 2019, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 19 Aug 2019.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.
    While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  2. Kime11

Kime11 Chieftain

Only 7 days to complete?

3. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

Jesusin and I love the pigs but that deer is cruel.

Archipelago? Is that snaky continents? I don't see an archipelago choice.

4. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

GOTM staff still redefining the word "soon" :mischief:

5. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

Just a typo. Should start 12 Jun 2019.

6. Deckhand

:rotfl:

I better fix that before it starts.

I won't bother taking a new screenshot showing the resources: deer, clam, fish, cow, pig. Unedited map.

(edit)
    with Map type Global Highlands:
    Landmass Size selections are: Massive Continents, Normal Continents, Snaky Continents, or Random.
    The selection was Snaky (which I misremembered as archipelago).

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    LowtherCastle likes this.
  7. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Chieftain

I'd prefer a starting date in July since my time machine's at the shop getting a routine checkup after every few million years travelled.

And I can't be bothered to add the +1:) for monument and broadcast tower from Charismatic trait. If game announcers can't be bothered to look at their own starting screenshot then I can't be bothered to correct them.
    BTW, who's Winnie? Hope it's not Mandela.
    Also, I hate starting screenshots hiding the resources. I assume it's not intentional although mapmakers are by definition :evil:.

LowtherCastle likes this.
  8. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

A bunch of cards here.

9. Deckhand

This mapmaker is by demonstration :incompetent: :help:
    As a former nice guy, I always intend to turn on resource bubbles and center the cursor so you [not me ;) ] can read the civ info. The amazing tool DS made that helps prepare the announcement provides almost everything but the map type and building benefits. That's why the building benefits are always so cleverly :hmm: worded (since I add them). And in this case map sub-type was erroneous (I should have made it a surprise). I'd tell you how many times I ended uploaded the game files, but I lost count. :groucho:
    Spoiler more blathering :
    Recently saw a sign that said:
    "Never apologize, Never explain - It makes you look weak."

10. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

I'm sure I speak for all in expressing sincere thanks for the staff's efforts to bring a little joy (or at least, willingly engaged frustration) into our lives by providing these games. Although I must say I'm disappointed you didn't provide enough food; two seafood, cows, deer, and pigs is clearly not adequate for a well balanced diet. ;)

krikav likes this.
  11. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

Always look on the bright side of life. You apologized, therefore you're the polar opposite of Trump. I envy you. :)

Not having the resource bubbles gave me something to do while I wait an eternity, I mean, three days.

lymond likes this.
  12. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

Be careful what you wish for. Next time it might be a continental breakfast instead of this Scandinavian smorgasbord.

13. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

Are we all gonna pretend that immediately after BOTM 177 comes BOTM 179?

14. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

I'm assuming the Deity game is already pegged as BOTM 178, since it was supposed to be "sooner", but now is later. :mischief:

15. Deckhand

Well, assuming SIP, there are still five BFC tiles that could provide more nutrients. :mischief:
    And as LC pointed out, the cruel deer is good for vitamins but not sustenance.

Correct, the next game will be deity 178. Later this year.

16. BornInCantaloup

BornInCantaloup Agent of Chaos

"The future is now." Snake Plissken.

I'll probably open this save. I devised a cunning plan to CHA/PRO archer rush the neighbour on our snaky island.
    Actually, I checked the starting units of Monarch AIs. Well, they start with a garrison archer and an exploring archer.
    I think it's 50/50 that there's a neighbour on our landmass. I suppose the script can differ somewhat.

Maybe I'll found Judaism if I can't archer rush. London is looking great. On Monarch, you need to build the wonders you want yourself.
    Having a couple of exploring workboats is, likely, highly advisable.

17. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

Okay, that's...soon...ish...

18. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

And the amazing tool DS made that helps prepare the announcement (basically an app we use that automatically generates most of the text for these announcements) will never provide the map type because that information simply isn't present in the WorldBuilder file. Having the unique building benefits provided automatically, rather than requiring the mapmaker to insert it manually is something I'm working on. It will of course include some code that runs something like:

if (user == Deckhand)
    announcementText.Insert(specialErrorTextToMakePeopleThinkDeckhandIsIncompetant)

:lol:

jerza and krikav like this.
  19. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

Sounds redundant good.

20. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

Btw, how soon do you think you'll finish that code? :mischief: