1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 185 - Sitting Bull - Starts 13 Oct

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Oct 12, 2019 at 3:43 AM.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 185: Sitting Bull of Native America.

This time you play Sitting Bull. The map is completely unedited, so you are completely at the mercy of the map generator. And all your opponents are Civs that were wandering around America in real life a few hundred years ago. So this is your chance to reverse a historical wrong, and see if this time Sitting Bull can win!

Game settings:
    Playing as: Sitting Bull of Native America
    Rivals: 6 AIs
    Difficulty: Monarch
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: No goody huts
    Victory Conditions:
    All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Continents
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Standard
    Climate: Arid
    Sea level: Medium
    Map latitudes: -90°S to 90°N

Sitting Bull is Philosophical and Protective, and you start with Fishing and Agriculture.

The Philosophical trait gives +100% great people birth rate and double production speed of University

The Protective trait gives free City Garrison I and Drill I promotion for archery and gunpowder units and double production speed of Castle and Walls

Unique unit: Dog Soldier (replaces Axeman)
    The Dog Soldier benefits from: base strength = 4, requires access to nothing, and 100% combat bonus against melee units. This compares with the Axeman which has: base strength = 5, requires access to copper or iron, and 50% combat bonus against melee units.

Unique Building: Totem Pole (replaces Monument)
    Besides the usual +1 culture of the monument, the totem poll gives +3XP to archery units built in this city.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

EDIT: Following Fippy's request, there is a challenger save available, played on deity level (NB: For challenger, I've changed the AI starting units and techs to match deity level too)

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 13 Oct 2019, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 18 Nov 2019.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019 at 1:03 PM
  2. DynamicSpirit

Because this game is a bit late, and because it's Saturday, I've shortened the discussion period - so the competition opens tomorrow! You get at least one day of the weekend to start playing it!

Only thing is, because I have to contact Alan to get the Mac saves made, the Mac saves might not be available until a couple of days later.

3. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

One of my favorite leaders (background, city names etc.),
    would it be too much if i ask for a deity challenger save?
    Promise that i would play & submit if provided.

4. DynamicSpirit

OK, seeing as you asked so nicely, and I'm in a good mood today... there is now a challenger save. I'll update to starting post to match.

The challenger save is the same map, but deity level - and as an added bonus, I've made sure that in the challenger save, the AI start with deity starting units (4 archers, 2 settlers, a worker and a scout) and with their deity techs. So that will be a pure deity game.

Fippy likes this.
  5. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

I've been too busy lately for BOTMs but would like to try this, probably on Deity since I like to lose. One of my many weaknesses is deciding where to settle, and this one provides ample scope for errors. SIP provides max food, lots of grassy river, but wastes a river grass hill. Settling on the corn "saves" the hill and gives a food boost over a limited interval of time, but seems like a bad move in the medium and long term. The plains hill SE of the corn gives an extra hammer, loses the fish (but leaving it for another city where the warrior is), loses some grassy river. Or settle where the warrior is? Move warrior E (or NE?) and reappraise? I dunno what to do.

6. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

“benefits from: base strength 4” ?!?

Could’ve fooled me...

Folks, sorry that I didn’t submit for the last two games. I meant to but am out of town extended time. Incomplete games anyway but still...

So SB is in LA?

7. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Difficult where to settle for sure, Xcalibrator.
    Was thinking for some time, and came up with very little :)
    Warrior 1E looks pointless imo, we can see it's forest 2E of settler (and continents should have no surprise resis on forests).
    1NE could reveal something north.

Maybe a reason for settling 1N pops up, but moving 1 worker turn from corn and no workboat build help and maybe settling on something good..
    ugh :lol: This start looks like something that would make sgtom teams discuss for days.

8. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

Thanks for the weekend start!

Settling in place looks fine to me.

9. DynamicSpirit

Haha! The perils of text that's auto-generated using an algorithm :lol:

Why do you think I chose this map... (It may be completely unedited, but I still get to re-run the map generator a few times if I want to)

10. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

while I’m on it, I get the + but what exactly does No goody huts +”-“ mean?:mischief:

11. DynamicSpirit

Oh that's a typo (in the auto-generated text, obviously :crazyeye: ). The +- shouldn't be there. It's just no goody huts. I'll fix that post.

12. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

Funny. I was joking, and I would have been searching high and low for some huts in God-forsaken locations.