1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 187 starts 31December

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

BOTM 187: De Gaulle of France.

Return of the Evil Mapmaker. De Gaulle of Gaul. Prince or Deity. Discuss evilness of the map in the first spoiler.

Game settings:
    Playing as: De Gaulle of France
    Rivals: 8 AIs
    Difficulty: Prince
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: No goody huts, no random events
    Victory Conditions:
    All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Fractal
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Worldsize_large
    Climate: Climate_temperate
    Sea level: Sealevel_medium

De Gaulle is Industrious and Charismatic, and you start with The Wheel and Agriculture.
    The Industrious trait gives +50% wonder production and double production speed of Forge

The Charismatic trait gives +1 happiness/city, and -25% experience required for unit promotions

Unique unit: Musketeer (replaces Musketman)
    The Musketeer benefits from: 2 movement points. This compares with the Musketman which has: 1 movement point.

Unique Building: Salon (replaces Observatory)
    The Salon is an Observatory that comes with a free artist.
    (Seems to me a contender for most useless special building. Even if you are going for a culture win, it comes rather late in the game. Ok with Representation.)

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

Challenger Class Equalizers:
    Deity Difficulty. No starting techs for barbarians.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 31 Dec 2019, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 10 Feb 2020.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.
    While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

2. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Prince

Excellent! I can finish up the decade the same way I spent much of the rest of it! ;)

I'll be taking the Contender save. I don't see any reason not to settle in place. Lots of food, we're on a river, at least a couple of hills, lots of trees to chop, and there may be something good in that grassland square.

3. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Well if the map is evil, that's not very evident in the starting screenshot!

I agree, no reason not to settle in place.

4. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

Or settle 1N on the corn for a fast start.

5. nocho

nocho Deity

I’d be tempted to settle that sugar actually.

Kaitzilla and WastinTime like this.
  6. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Can't wait to nobly fail on Deity again. Oh dear, worldsize_large? :cry:

7. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Prince

Hmmm. Settling on the sugar would give us one extra food per turn, right? If we move the warrior NW then NE, we could get a good look at the squares north of the sugar. Then if that looks bad, we could always double back with the settler to our starting square, only losing one turn in the process.

8. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Yeah, it gives us one extra food per turn, which would build the first worker in 12 turns instead of the usual 15 turns. Allowing for losing a turn to get there, you get the first worker 2 turns faster. And you don't lose out much later on either, since you can't put a plantation on the sugar for a fair while and even then it'd only give you 4f1c, which isn't brilliant.

Set against that, if you stay put, you get 3 food and an amazing settler/worker-pump capital. If my calculation is correct, at pop 3 and with 3 farms and a pasture, you get 14h/turn towards a worker or settler, giving a worker every 4-and-a-bit turns or a settler every 6-and-a-bit turns without any chopping or whipping. I'm tempted to stay put but not fully decided.