1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 188 - Willem, Monarch, starts 29 Jan

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Jan 25, 2020.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 188: Willem van Oranje of Netherlands.

Can you survive on an archipelago map? I'll tell you for free that one of your opponents is Ragnar, and you're also up against the Romans. It is possible to circumnavigate with galleys, though I don't think the route is that easy to find. Good luck!

Game settings:
    Playing as: Willem van Oranje of Netherlands
    Rivals: 6 AIs
    Difficulty: Monarch
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: No barbarians, no goody huts, no random events
    Victory Conditions:
    All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Archipelago (snaky continents)
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Standard
    Climate: Tropical
    Sea level: Medium
    Map latitudes: -90°S to 90°N

Willem van Oranje is Creative and Financial, and you start with Fishing and Agriculture.

The Creative trait gives +2 culture/city each turn and double production speed of Colosseum, Library and Theatre

The Financial trait gives +1 commerce on any plot that already has at least 2 commerce

Unique unit: East Indiaman (replaces Galleon)
    The East Indiaman benefits from: base strength = 6, can explore rival territory, and can carry 4 units. This compares with the Galleon which has: base strength = 4, cannot explore rival territory without open borders, and can carry 3 units.

Unique Building: Dike (replaces Levee)
    The dyke is very powerful on a water map: It adds +1 hammer not only to all river-adjacent tiles, but to all water tiles. And if my memory serves me correctly, you can build it if your city is adjacent to any water - doesn't have to be a river!

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

Challenger Class Equalizers:
    You play on deity level. And the AI even start with deity starting units.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 29 Jan 2020, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 2 Mar 2020.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

krikav likes this.
  2. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

How thoughtful.
    What about the deity barbarians - do they start with any techs? or would that be telling :sshhh: :nono:

SiP is obvious.
    Workboat first? Since we start with fishing and nothing for worker to do.
    Or tech Hunting and build worker to camp the ivory?

Note, this is the "January" game. I will create a "February" one, sometime in the future.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  3. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

No barbs

4. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

Read the Fine Introduction :hammer2:

That should make circumnavigation with galleys or workboats a lot easier.

And no events.

5. DynamicSpirit

Haha. Yes. I made this no barbs because I figured that on a watery map, barbs tends to mean lots of galleys, which are almost impossible to fogbust against, and very tough to defend against before metal casting. So leaving barbs on seemed a tad mean.

6. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

I'd build the second workboat first.

krikav likes this.
  7. DynamicSpirit

Yeah, that's what I did when I tested the game: I built the 2nd workboat first. Then I built the first workboat :lol:

Noble Zarkon and krikav like this.
  8. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Does warrior NE or warrior E reveal most more tiles? O_o NE, right...? Only way E reveals more is if there is hills further way?
    Might be some other resource 2S 1E of settler.

Hunting first you say... Hmmm..
    Ivory is generally a pretty poor tile, but here it's riverside and we are Fin, so thats a kickass 2F2H3C tile.

But I would say that mining, bw, sailing and masonry are up high on the wishlist.
    Securing GLH is prio1 on these types of map, although hunting might pay back itself in time though as thats such a good tile.

9. DynamicSpirit

Spoiler threads are now up

10. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

C'mon y'all. The month's half over and I'm the only one who's posted a spoiler. Throw us a bone, pretty please!

krikav likes this.
  11. DynamicSpirit

Haha! Well if I could oblige and post a spoiler, I would. But since I know the map, that would be against all the rules and a tad unfair. (For what it's worth, I quite enjoyed test-playing and carried on playing - trying very hard to play as if I didn't know the map - after the game was released. Not finished yet, but I'm still enjoying my own map :lol: Such a shame I'm not allowed to submit ;) )

krikav likes this.