1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 194 - Lockdown Special! (Monarch) - Starts 22 May

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, May 19, 2020.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 194: Lord Lemme-Out! of France.

To celebrate all the extra Civ-playing time you have during the current lockdown, we bring you a special social-distancing-lockdown-themed game. You are Lord Lemme-Out of the Panic Buyers, confined to your house by Government order because of the terrible dangers that lurk beyond your walls. Can you escape, cope with all the empty shelves in the supermarkets where everyone else has already panic-bought all the loo roll and eggs and goodness knows what else, befriend allies and fend off adversaries to pull off a stunning victory? The map is custom-built and probably like nothing you've ever seen before, so don't make any assumptions...

Game settings:
    Playing as: Lord Lemme-Out! of France
    Rivals: 7 AIs
    Difficulty: Monarch
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: No goody huts
    Victory Conditions:
    All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Lockdown special!
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Large
    Climate: Temperate
    Sea level: Medium
    Map latitudes: -90°S to 90°N

Special Rules !!!IMPORTANT!!!

There are two special rules for this game:
    1. You must NEVER declare war on the Nurses under any circumstances.
    2. By the time of your victory, the Pathogens MUST be dead.
    If you break either of these rules, you will not be eligible for any awards. And if we can (I'm not sure if the mechanics will allow it) we might score your game as a defeat, even if you actually won. And if you break the first rule, you'll forever have to live with the shame of having done something that's totally inappropriate. Well, maybe not forever - just until you die.

One more thing.... DO NOT play this game if you are easily offended!

More Info

Lord Lemme-Out! is Organized and Charismatic, and you start with The Wheel and Agriculture.
    The Organized trait gives -50% civic upkeep and double production speed of Courthouse, Factory and Lighthouse
    The Charismatic trait gives +1 happiness/city, and -25% experience required for unit promotions

Unique unit: Musketeer (replaces Musketman)

The Musketeer benefits from: 2 movement points. This compares with the Musketman which has: 1 movement point.

Unique Building: Salon (replaces Observatory)

Besides the observatory benefits (+25% science, allows one scientist), the salon gives you a free artist.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

Adventurer Class bonuses:

You play at prince level (but the AI still starts with monarch starting units)

Challenger Class Equalizers:

You play at immortal level (but the AI still starts with monarch starting units)

To Enter the Competition:
    This competition will open at 00:01 am on 22 May 2020, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.
    Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 29 Jun 2020.
    Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows:
    This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.
    Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.
    We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

Last edited: May 21, 2020 at 4:17 PM
  2. DynamicSpirit

Just a note... as some of you are aware, I accidentally posted an early planning version of this game announcement here a few days ago.

The starting area has changed since that mistaken post - but if you looked at that thread before I deleted the text from it, your browser may have cached the old starting area map. A way to check this is that stone is visible in the correct map. So if, in the post above, you can't see any stone in the map, you're looking at the out of date map, and you'll need to forcibly refresh the entire page to get the actual map. (On chrome, that's CTRL + refresh).

3. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Warlord

I do not know how I will wait until May 22nd ;) Thanks DS! Sounds super exciting (map the likes you have never seen before) but also scary (not for easily offended). Not sure if I should play in such a case, but of course curiosity will get better of me.

BTW, the unit to the left (in the circle) is warrior?

4. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Prince

Excellent! I've been imagining COVID as raging barbarians, but it sounds like they're one (or more) of the AI in this game?

And is "loo roll" what you call toilet paper in the UK? :lol:

Let's see, moving onto the plains hill for the extra hammer looks good.

5. notorious_banjo

notorious_banjo Chieftain

Thanks for the game. Looking forward to it.

Plains hill does look like a great move.

6. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

I'm tempted by the plains river 1N of the settler. Save a turn settling, save a forest, probably net a few more river tiles, gain 2 health from the river, and leave the stone plains hill for settling with 2 free hammers and instant resource hookup. But have the warrior move there first for a looksee.

Mitchum likes this.
  7. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Warlord

That was my first thought, too, but now that 1W was mentioned, it is also an interesting option, although costs 1 turn.

8. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Are the rice both on hills or is it just my old eyes??

9. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Warlord

Yep, both on hills. Good point, have not noticed it before.

10. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

So is the ivory.. One of those rice hills is plains, which is most bizarre. Rain forests allow for rice grass hills I believe but don't recall ever seeing rice on a PH. Map could be fantasy realm as source.

11. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Warlord

Lymond, I never saw rice on any type of hill - I guess it means I am not playing enough civ :lol:

lymond likes this.
  12. DynamicSpirit

Yes,warrior in the circle on the left, settler on the right.

Fine_Distinction likes this.
  13. DynamicSpirit

Yes, in the UK, loo roll is our posh term for toilet paper.

14. Powerfaker

Powerfaker Warlord

Could it be a tweek that all resources are placed on hills ??
    Or do we call those shelves now. They certainly are not empty. There is plenty of meat and rice…..:crazyeye:

I would the Pathogens expect to be Aggressive/Imperialistic and the Nurses Protective/Expansive + holding all health resources that we don't have ourselves……..:cool:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm sorry, we have nothing to eat tonight. Could you go to the store and get some…….. toilet paper??

15. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Warlord

genius ideas, Powerfaker. Maybe you also have a guess what would “easily Offend us”? City/Unit names?

16. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

Any restrictions if the Nurses :love: declare war on us?

I read a rumor that they were "such backstabbers". :backstab:
    If they get infected by mind-worms :assimilate: , then they should probably be eradicated.

17. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Deckhand is an Honorable Player who would NEVER think of baiting the Nurses to attack him, but perhaps there are more devious players who would stoop so low (not that such an idea would ever occur to ME). Tsk, shameful!! Should there be an additional rule that any peace overture from the Nurses must immediately be accepted? And that none of their cities, settlers, or workers can be captured, or their tiles pillaged?

18. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Warlord

LOL, now you gave me an ideas - are there actually ways to bait an AI into DoWing you? I guess it is not a common problem, lol. A lonely worker near their territory, perhaps?

19. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Warlord

Yeah, it is a good question. We are told to be allowed to "defend ourselves". But does it mean that there are certain limits and some things are not considered a reasonable self-defense? E.g. taking their cities or workers/settlers vs. just defending ours?

20. DynamicSpirit

I've not set any restrictions on what you can/can't do if the nurses declare war on you because any conditions would become extremely difficult to precisely define, enforce and check (whereas it's very easy for us to tell in submitted saves whether you've declared war on the nurses). And I guess you could argue that if the nurses do declare war on you, then they've kinda forfeited the protections that I set in this game in the interests of good taste ;)