[BTS] News: BOTM 194 - Lockdown Special! (Monarch) - Starts 22 May

By the way, in case anyone is wondering which save to play, I will say just one thing: I've test-played the map a couple of times to 1AD and my personal, entirely subjective, experience, is that in the BC years this game seems to play slightly easier than I'd normally expect on monarch. However, you shouldn't assume anything about what the game will be like in the AD years. And I have reasons for believing that the challenger save will be quite a challenge.

Just noticed an issue - the starting post had said that the map size was standard. That's not correct. The map size in this game is large. I've just fixed the game announcement.

Looking forward to playing this one!

I'm tempted by the plains river 1N of the settler. Save a turn settling, save a forest, probably net a few more river tiles, gain 2 health from the river, and leave the stone plains hill for settling with 2 free hammers and instant resource hookup. But have the warrior move there first for a looksee.

I was thinking along these lines, but probably will move warrior to sheep hill to check if the settler will leave something good behind by moving north.

I suspect that the Nurses could be Friendly from the start. That should give everyone the same experience with the same rule...

It looks like such an interesting and unique game and there is a lot of interest - can we please have spoiler threads opened early? By the time Tokugawa spoiler threads were opened I already forgot what and why I was doing, and even going through the save I was WTF and could not remember why on earth I built 2 lighthouses so early on not even being organized :crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::lol: I know, sounds like an old age problem, but we all are getting distracted with other things like rl

Yay, Starting save is here :king::D:D:D - I was probably first to download - thank you very much, DS! Cannot wait to be offended, lol, or actually figuring out what the heck that means :lol::lol:

Last edited:
It looks like such an interesting and unique game and there is a lot of interest - can we please have spoiler threads opened early? By the time Tokugawa spoiler threads were opened I already forgot what and why I was doing, and even going through the save I was WTF and could not remember why on earth I built 2 lighthouses so early on not even being organized :crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::lol: I know, sounds like an old age problem, but we all are getting distracted with other things like rl

That's a good point. To make sure they are up in good time, I have already opened the spoiler threads. Enjoy the game!

In keeping with the theme, we should really be required to SIP (shelter in place). :mischief:
Well, we will see if moving is safe.

Three active games, ending 8Jun, 29Jun, and 30Jun.
Haven't started any, my usual approach is to play to 1AD and then not have time to finish. We'll see if I have time to play any of these.
And I will target 3rd week of June for botm195 release.

Speaking of loo rolls
Spoiler if this offends you - what are you doing on the internet? :
Spoiler Origin of the word Crap :
I was going to attribute it to DS's fellow Englishman, Thomas Crapper's invention. But per wikipedia
Origin of the word "crap"
It has often been claimed in popular culture that the slang term for human bodily waste, crap, originated with Thomas Crapper because of his association with lavatories. A common version of this story is that American servicemen stationed in England during World War I saw his name on cisterns and used it as army slang, i.e. "I'm going to the crapper".[12]

The word crap is actually of Middle English origin and predates its application to bodily waste. Its most likely etymological origin is a combination of two older words: the Dutch krappen (to pluck off, cut off, or separate) and the Old French crappe (siftings, waste or rejected matter, from the medieval Latin crappa).[12] In English, it was used to refer to chaff and also to weeds or other rubbish. Its first recorded application to bodily waste, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, appeared in 1846, 10 years after Crapper was born, under a reference to a crapping ken, or a privy, where ken means a house.

are there actually ways to bait an AI into DoWing you?
Sure, just keep demanding they give you their PPE, or food--of course, you'll probably just end up with crabs :shifty:

What an irresistible scenario! If only the SGotM wasn't as the same time. Might have to find time.

If you break either of these rules, you will not be eligible for any awards. And if we can (I'm not sure if the mechanics will allow it) we might score your game as a defeat, even if you actually won
What about fastest all-time finish records? Those aren't exactly awards.

Can I remind people that you're not supposed to be posting in this thread once you've started playing - because of the risk of inadvertently revealing spoiler info about the map.

So food on hills won't irrigate, right? I'm assuming you can farm a hill, but maybe not.

I checked that, and as far as I could tell, farming and irrigation works exactly the same on hills as it does on flat land. You can irrigate, and irrigation also spreads through hills (after civil service).

Good question though!

This looks like a fun game! I suppose it's not possible to actually submit games after the deadline has passed? For, err, those of us returning to the game yonks afterwards, just for funsies?

Fittingly enough I have a thundering migraine (not Covid), so wanted to play something that doesn't matter quite as much as the current BOTMs, in case I make terrible mistakes in the haze and on the verge of vomiting. I've played my fair share of Rainforest maps, where you can find rice on hills. Can't recall seeing forests on those rice-hills, though. Presumably we'd need BW and chop down the forest before being able to farm it (like for jungled rice or pigs). That reduces the value of possibly setting on the stone.

I kinda like the idea of shelter-in-place ( :lol: ) to be honest, or possibly 1N -- but that means two mountains in the capital BFC, which I'm not a huge fan of (same about settling on Ivory). May still be worth the gamble though.

Originally I wanted the warrior to move onto the stone, but think it may be wiser to move onto the rice (SE) so I can see what may be missed by settling 1N.

However, something looks very concerning, when I zoomed in the map...
Spoiler :
Look at that warrior...
Spoiler :
...and the very tiny health bar. Great danger is out there!! :scared: :hide:

This looks like a fun game! I suppose it's not possible to actually submit games after the deadline has passed? For, err, those of us returning to the game yonks afterwards, just for funsies?

I'm afraid it's not currently possible to submit games post-deadline. You can of course play the game as if it was a competition and you can still post in/read the spoilers though.

Top Bottom