1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 199 Results and Congratulations

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Oct 14, 2020.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

And here are the results. I don't have anything intelligent or witty enough to add to them this time, so I'll let the results speak for themselves... well done everyone!

Summary of Medal Winners:

Pangaea: 1160 AD Conquest Victory, 232,323 points.

Powerfaker: 1585 AD Domination Victory, 231,345 points.

nocho: 1450 AD Conquest Victory, 222,943 points.

Fastest Finish Award Winners:

kcd_swede: 1880 AD Domination Victory, 88,459 points.

neilmeister: 1864 AD Spaceship Victory, 79,258 points.

WastinTime: 1680 AD Cultural Victory, 49,822 points.

Other Award Winners:

WLanky13: 1812 AD Conquest Victory, 102,748 points.

undead: 1890 AD Domination Victory, 76,987 points.

zbgayumn: 1937 AD Spaceship Victory, 34,112 points.

greatbeyond: 2026 AD Spaceship Loss, 3,817 points.

>> See the full results here.
    >> See the updated global rankings here.
    >> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
    >> You can see and compare graphic replays of all the submissions here.
    >> Award symbols are listed here.

2. DynamicSpirit

Here's where everyone settled. I found this quite fascinating to look at. I'm guessing most people's settling decision was influenced by my warning in the game-announcement that settling in-place would make it very hard to use the gold tile (which wasn't visible at the start, so you were all in the dark as to where it was). Despite this, a couple of brave souls decided to settle-in-place anyway. Most people opted to move in the direction I'd suggested the gold was in, presumably to try to get it into their capital's BFC. @WLanky13 was the only player who moved away - I'm guessing that was a strategy to try to make it possible to have a 2nd city use the gold while keeping the pigs for the capital. And @Powerfaker - as described in the spoilers - managed in interesting 3 turns of exploring, leading to a spot that looks to me no better than settling-in-place ;) Didn't stop him winning fastest domination though!

I think this was quite a challenging decision - because there was basically no option for settling that didn't carry some significant disadvantage (yeah, I'm mean, I know :mischief:).

The Small Print:
    The numbers by each player's name indicate the turn settled on (starting turn is 0). Players are colour coded by game class (challenger=red, adventurer=blue). Symbols indicate victory condition, if there's no symbol then the player either retired or was defeated. The yellow border indicates the land that was visible at the start of the game.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  3. Powerfaker

Powerfaker Warlord

Noooo, less than 1000 pts :cry: :)

Congrats @Pangaea

Edit: If only I had settled 1T faster ........

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  4. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Prince

Yay! Highest score without a medal or award! :mischief:

But there was huge gap in scores between 3rd and 4th place, so I wasn't exactly close.

5. DynamicSpirit

Oh yeah... 1 turn might well have made that difference in score. Frustrating for you and perhaps a relief for @Pangaea! A close result!

Yeah, we really need to start doing an award for that. Trouble is, I've mislaid my paradox machine...

6. WLanky13

WLanky13 Chieftain

I'm not sure how I managed to do this, but I completed the Pyramids in 500 AD. I started to slow build it for the fail gold and just kept building it.

So now I'm curious, what's the latest date anyone has ever completed the Pyramids on Monarch or above?

7. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Cheers to the Swede for getting a bonafide medal! :goodjob::mischief:

Yep, nice close one there between Pangaea and PF. Congrats to both. Not sure 1t would make a difference cause of the date disparity, as score decreases much faster later in the game (not sure the details of how that works..just observation)

kcd_swede likes this.
  8. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Thanks :) That was a very close result! Am not entirely sure if a 1 turn swing would have been enough, but maybe two? In any case, that's a very close race, and third wasn't far behind either.

If I understand the table correctly, I need to learn how to play for a religious win.

9. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Nope, 1 turn would have been enough, at least if I won 1 turn later. Don't know how it works out on your end, being one turn faster.

In the real game it's possible my score was rising per turn, as it's still pretty early and I had probably stopped whipping by then, but let's ignore that. I plotted in the values in the Score calculator here (from the victory save). Then changed the turn number. New score would have been 229,427 (if all other factors stayed the same).

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  10. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

A little request. Would it be possible to update the boilerplate so the link goes to the BOTM version of the page instead of the Vanilla one? Jovan Kukic is the clear frontrunner in that (looks like Cactus Pete hasn't played as much BOTM lately?)

11. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

Moooo! I believe that is my first cow. :cowboy:

12. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi King

As for the settling on the floodplain - it was not the gold that influenced my choice, but the double food. Expansion is usually more interesting than research, unless you want to go for a safe oracle on a higher diff. level.

13. DynamicSpirit

Seems a good idea. I'll check.

And yeah, if I recall correctly, @Cactus Pete was a very good vanilla player and regular medal/award winner back in the day, but who preferred to stick to vanilla games.

14. Powerfaker

Powerfaker Warlord

Checked it with the calculator and my own file. 1T earlier would have gotten me 234263. (notice how your decay 1,246% is amazingly close to my 1,245%)
    This remark was not all that serious of course. I was busy conquering Brennus. So my score would have been lower in reality. It would have been higher the next turn after conquering 3 more cities, which should have brought me capitulation and a conquest win......... if it weren't for my vassals to expand some way.

15. DynamicSpirit

Following on from this, @AlanH has kindly updated the script, so that in future results announcements, it should direct BtS results to the BtS pantheon.

Thanks for the useful suggestion!

Pangaea likes this.