[BTS] News: BOTM 203 Results and Congratulations

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Jan 7, 2021.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

I have to admit I was quite impressed by the results of this game - not least because I knew I'd started you all off on some pretty difficult terrain. Even if the peninsula start perhaps made it a bit easier to defend against the raging barbs. Even so, there was a pre-1800 space win (well done @bcool who also got the gold medal - quite an achievement when the scoring system incorporates some bias against peaceful victories). Back to tradition, the silver and bronze both went to conquest victories, with @Powerfaker getting the fastest one in 1530AD).

Perhaps a special mention should go to @Frederiksberg - the only person to try the challenger save. Since challenger meant playing against deity raging barbs, that's definitely a huge challenge. Sadly, Frederiksberg was unable to complete the game, but he did survive to 1650AD before retiring.

Summary of Medal Winners:

bcool: 1782 AD Spaceship Victory, 168,071 points.

Powerfaker: 1530 AD Conquest Victory, 164,870 points.

nocho: 1590 AD Conquest Victory, 163,043 points.

Fastest Finish Award Winners:

Pangaea: 1585 AD Diplomatic Victory, 104,694 points.

zhary: 1858 AD Spaceship Victory, 95,226 points.

zbgayumn: 1894 AD Domination Victory, 65,076 points.

Other Award Winners:

Conquistador 63: 1804 AD Spaceship Victory, 84,881 points.

kcd_swede: 1867 AD Conquest Victory, 66,292 points.

donsig: 1989 AD Spaceship Loss, 3,485 points.

>> See the full results here.
    >> See the updated global rankings here.
    >> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
    >> You can see and compare graphic replays of all the submissions here.
    >> Award symbols are listed here.

Frederiksberg likes this.
  2. DynamicSpirit

Here's where everyone settled.

Generally people chose in-place, which seemed a good choice to me given what you knew. @Zhary even returned to settle in place after exploring! Some of you went for the nearest hills, presumably for extra barb protection. And @Jovan Kukic and @Frederiksberg opted for the plains hill, giving faster initial production with a risk of not knowing what land was nearby (lucky that clam was there, eh ;) )

The Small Print:
    The numbers by each player's name indicate the turn settled on (starting turn is 0). Players are colour coded by game class (challenger=red, adventurer=blue). Symbols indicate victory condition, if there's no symbol then the player either retired or was defeated. The yellow border indicates the land that was visible at the start of the game.

3. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Only 5000 points between the top 3 people, that is remarkable.

How many built the Great Wall? At times it was quite challenging without it. Way too much land to fogbust.

Interesting game. Judging by the post-game summary, the AIs had big problems with the raging barbs too. I counted 5 cities captured or razed. One of them being the Jewish holy city.

4. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

I also moved 1E to settle the hill, but it had nothing to do with barbs. I just figured the 5 tiles I was giving up were pretty bad.
    And... the mapmaker would never put copper where only one of the popular sites misses out :mad:

Worse! SIP automatically fogbusts the western (wheat) area, moving to the hill screwed me again, forcing me to put a unit over there. I didn't really have time to play anyway. I appreciate the hand-crafted games tho.

congrats @bcool, long time no play (together)

5. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

Thanks for the game! I learned a lot about better strategies looking at the replays of some of the better games, and recommend that tool for anyone else eager to up their game. Maybe next time I can avoid the sheild. GG everyone and congrats to the medalists and award winners!

6. Frederiksberg

Frederiksberg Deity

Settling on the plains hill meant that everything to the south and west was fog busted and I could keep out barbs by placing two blocking warriors at the top of the peninsula. TGW was my 5th build and the only barbs I saw during the game were heading south to attack Huyana :popcorn:. Btw. Korea was the largest civ and ahead in tech when I retired because time ran out. I guess that translates to "survived" using classical British understatement :lol:.

Spending a turn scouting with the settler is not a big deal on epic speed. I even considered returning to the initial spot, but went for the extra production in order to get the TGW ASAP.

Thanks to DS for a very interesting game and congrats to the winners :goodjob:

7. DynamicSpirit

Hehe... I don't recall doing anything with the copper. I think that was the map generator.

FWIW, it's true - I do normally cast an eye over the starting area to make sure it looks fair. And I do try to remove any traps I notice where someone who makes what looks like a very sensible settling decision would get set back quite a bit for it. But in practice, I can't do that perfectly - it's impossible for me to predict all the ways that different people are going to reason out about settling or early development (although it's quite fun trying ;-) ). So it's probably best to presume that the starting area might well be very unfair ;-)

8. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

It was the same with SIP, which I found really nice. No need to send a unit down there. I too actually tried the warrior blocking exploit, but it didn't work. Several barb warriors still stormed at us, though they ofc ran into the blocking ones and thankfully died there. But it meant I had to double up there to protect the capital. Once I was able to fan out it was better, because it was relatively easy to fogbust the north. East.... well.... :lol:

9. WastinTime

It definitely works. The barbs could be heading for the next closest city and you were next to their path.
    Which 2 tiles did you block? Clam-1N and Clam-2N?

10. zbgayumn

zbgayumn Emperor

Well, that's a pleasant surprise! I got another shield, but this one comes along a fastest finish award! :D
    I think this largely comes down to being the only one willing to slog through this map with its massive amount of land and stay the course toward Domination. It would definitely have been easier to capitulate everyone and get an earlier Conquest, and I considered it on several occasions.

11. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

I am never sure whether it will show domination or conquest when they both happen on the same turn. Is there some rule that governs it or is it random? If random, then my sheild was just bad luck, since I did manage a higher score than you. :p

12. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Was any blocker standing on an improved tile (road or otherwise)? If so, that invites the barbs as a target to attack, if I’m not mistaken. Also, if a barb random lands next to your blocker he then might attack next turn. ( but that wouldn’t attract others I don’t think).

13. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Here is a picture from when it happened. It was archers, not warriors.
    Spoiler :
    BOTM 203-Barbs coming.jpg

The blockers are standing one row further east than the tiles WT mentioned. Happened to have a save from the turn before, and the NW barb was not present, which means he probably got created that turn, and then instantly homed in on us. At that point both my blockers were present. But it's possible the barb archer next to the tundra hill warrior had homed in earlier. Because in the 2425BC save, the southern blocker only had 5% fortification (the other has 25%). Think he may have been standing on the dotmap earlier, then I pulled him back for the forest safety. In any case, both those archers came straight for us, despite those blockers being present (there are no improvements underneath them). Thankfully I had an axe half-produced at this point, so it's possible I emergency whipped it (according to the save, I was building a workboat for the last fish resource).

I remember wondering if the blocking didn't work because there were culture tiles to the north, and maybe they homed in on those or something, and then went for the warriors next.

This experience didn't leave me particularly convinced, but it's possible I did something wrong somewhere as I've never done this before.

Edit: Yes, I found a save a few turns earlier. Both warriors were standing as in the picture, and no barb archers were visible.

14. WastinTime

Nope, they had no idea you were there and could not see your city. They are just beelining to the next closest AI city target. Since they spawned in that NW corner, they had to accidentally run into you :( Essentially heading to the Corn tile and Corn-1E.
    I'll bet if you blocked 1W where I mentioned, you woulda been untouched.

You can even prove it to yourself. After they pass by, you can open your block and they'll turn back. Close the block again and they move away.
    :devil: Evil idea... Using the trick of block/unblock, you could slowly collect a large group of them and then unleash them as a group on an unsuspecting AI

15. WastinTime

You might have had to chop forest at Crab-1E. I think that might keep the archer from cutting that corner too close to you.

16. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Interesting. My thinking about placing the warriors there was that they did the same thing (block) while also fog busting a little bit.

Do barbs, even raging barbs, really "home in" on cities that far away, though? Next AI city will be very, very far away (Incans).

Sounds like I was simply very unlucky here then, and the trick could still work. I don't like using things like that, so I guess it's kinda funny that it sort of bit me in the arse here :D

17. WastinTime

Absolutely. Perfect example: BotM 200. (icy Cronos start)
    100% of the raging barbs ignored me and went far, far west to find Atlas (the only other one on my landmass)
    If you were isolated (or if Altas had died). I believe the barbs would wander randomly.

18. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Indeed. Loaded that save, moved the blockers closer to home, and had to dance around a bit with the tundra dude.
    Spoiler :
    BOTM 203 barbs1.jpg

BOTM 203 barbs2.jpg

So they were in fact heading somewhere else and not trying to kill us. Was just unlucky with where they spawned (and not knowing how this stuff works), and having the blockers in the "wrong" tiles.

19. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Interesting. Learned something new. So if there’s a narrow passageway for the barbs to skirt you, like mountains, you might be in trouble.

20. zbgayumn

zbgayumn Emperor

@kcd_swede Do you mean like when the last opponent capitulates, and their contribution to the land percentage also puts you over the Dom limit? I don't really have hard evidence for this, but my vague recollection is that the check for conquest (do have any opponents left who aren't vassaled?) always happens before the check for domination. Maybe before the check for all other VCs, although those things happening on the same turn as conquest are far more rare.

kcd_swede likes this.