1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 206 - Vikings, starts Feb 01 2021

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by kcd_swede, Jan 29, 2021.

1. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

BOTM 206: Roede Orm of the Vikings.

After a long hiatus as mapmaker, what better way for me to jump into things than with a rowdy viking romp?
    You will play as Roede Orm (Ragnar) of the Viking Empire on a Terra map.
    You may choose your adventure as all victory conditions are available. Do you want to spread the word of the "All Father" Odin to the far reaches of the world?
    How about being first to the New World and dominating the globe? Or just go full Viking and conquer all? Or
    call the Ting to be elected as the unifier of all? Maybe just dazzle the world with your cultural prowess? It's
    up to you!
    You will face 7 rivals in your quest for victory. Some opponents are vikings, some are not (but wish they were).

Contenders will play at Prince difficulty level, Challengers get to try it on Deity.

Game settings:
    Playing as: Roede Orm (Ragnar) of the Viking Empire
    Rivals: 7 AIs
    Difficulty: Prince
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: Raging barbarians, aggressive AI, unrestricted leaders, random personalities, no goody huts, no random events
    Victory Conditions: All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Terra
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Standard
    Sea level: Medium

You start with knowledge of Hunting and Fishing. Your traits are Aggresive and Financial.
    Aggresive: Free Combat I promotion for melee and gunpowder units, and Double production speed of Barracks and Drydock.
    Financial: +1 commerce on plots with at least 2 commerce.

Unique unit: Berzerker, Unique unit for Vikings; Replaces Macemen
    +10% city attack
    Starts with Amphibious
    +50% vs. Melee Units
    Unique building: Trading Post, Unique building for the Vikings; Replaces Lighthouse
    Free Navigation I promotion for naval units built in this city
    +1 food on water tiles

Starting screenshot
    This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

Challenger Class Equalizers:
    You play on Deity level (but the AI still starts with Prince level starting units, so a bit easier than normal Deity).

To Enter the Competition:
    This competition will open at 00:01 am on 01 Feb 2021, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save here https://gotm.civfanatics.net/civ4games/index.php?month=70206
    Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 01 Mar 2021.
    Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions
    Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.
    Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...
    Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.
    We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

krikav, lymond, Pangaea and 1 other person like this.
  2. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Oooof, looks very feisty. But what better way than for the Vikings to beat down all those continental barbs :mischief:

Maybe move the scout 1W and then onto the PH 1S of stone to check for seafood, and then settle 2E if nothing decent shows up? I hope for more food than a lousy brown cow :undecide:

3. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Prince

Sounds like a plan! One PH or the other ought to do. :viking:

4. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Yeah the food situation for settling-in-place does look a bit dire. The scout has got to go onto that plains hill to see if there's any food immediately to the South - just two tiles that could have food to make SIP worthwhile.

If the scout doesn't find food to the South, then we're a bit stuck. Maybe move the settler 2E as @Pangaea suggests, though I'd be doing it more with the intention of further exploring rather than definitely settling there.

5. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Oh no! It's a Swedish Invasion! :D

Finding food will be key, as will that stone. Possibly move inland, although the PH 1SW could be interesting with food...maybe another lake there to the W of that, or just continuation of coast

kcd_swede likes this.
  6. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

Raging Barbs are ridiculous on deity ;)
    Do they get Archery at start for challenger?

7. kcd_swede

Yes.

8. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Oh, so nice!
    One of the very first BOTM I played was the last one you hosted @kcd_swede a map where evil Ragnar started in a lush paradise island in the middle of an inland sea.
    I look forward to getting killed in this map!

9. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

Sorry if i am annoying here, but some more info would be greatly appreciated.
    RB are unplayable on regular deity maps, what would make them tolerable here and work in our benefit if we pick challenger?
    Otherwise anyone who tries will most likely give up by turn 30 and waste a botm.

krikav likes this.
  10. kcd_swede

I did play the challenger save out to 1AD and was doing quite ok. If I can figure out how to survive the raging barbarians, I am not worried at all about your ability to figure it out. :hug:

lymond, Fippy and krikav like this.
  11. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

@Fippy I haven't really tried raging barbs that much. Ecept that imfamous "barbarian challenge"-map.
    But if nothing else, perhaps it's possible to settle 1W and go masonry first and secure TGW, or is even that too slow?

12. kcd_swede

Think positive thoughts. :borg:

krikav likes this.
  13. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

Good enuf merci for replying ;)
    Well normally (deity) raging barbs rush into our borders on t12+, you know i rarely shy away from challenges but RB are a special setting that i never use.
    If AIs have only Prince units maybe it delays them.

14. DynamicSpirit

I am now imagining that the tile 2S of the settler will have fish, and that S-SW of the settler will have wheat, gold and gems all on top of each other.

Pangaea likes this.
  15. Powerfaker

Powerfaker Warlord

I can imagine that on Deity you want to stay near the stone regardless of food or even settle on it to build TGW asap.

16. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

I’m imagining all the seafood east of the cattle. Positive enough?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  17. kcd_swede

I think I read somewhere that the barbs don't enter borders until the average number of cities is like >2? If so, Prince starting units (no extra settler for AI) would certainly have an impact.

18. kcd_swede

This reminds me of something we used to say a lot... something about the frequency to which we should be trusting mapmakers?
    :lol:

Pangaea likes this.
  19. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

My trusting hunch tells me this is a no-food start. No seafood, no pork, no corn, no nuttin’. Speaking of reminding, like the game with only grass, except here it’s plains.

20. DynamicSpirit

I was curious about where the name Roede Orm came from. I initially assumed it was maybe Ragnar translated into Swedish or some ancient language, but Googling seems to suggest it's unrelated. @kcd_swede - are you able to enlighten us without giving away anything you don't want to about the game?