1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

News: BOTM 21 - Starts 15 August

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Aug 9, 2009.

1. JungleIII

JungleIII Master

That pretty well makes Cultural Victory impossible for me! :( Good to know before hand!

2. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

Should also point out that since patch 3.19, when espionage is disabled the demographics screen is always visible. Also, there is no GSpy for Communism (and no espionage-related random events).

3. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Perfect, this will be my next deity defeat :lol:

4. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

@DynamicSpirit: Will AIs start with 2 settlers in Challenger start? kinda defeat the point of deity otherwise... (but would let us a chance to us mere mortals :lol:)

5. whb

whb King

Ah, I'm just waiting for the month where we see
    Challenger Class Equalizers: No settler.
    :)

6. wwassme

wwassme Warlord

I think it would be more fun to have:

Challenger: Your nearest neighbor, Monty, discovered Time Travel in the future and starts with three tanks. You have three extra spearmen to compensate. :spear::spear::spear:

7. Thalatta

Thalatta Imperialistic

The starting position looks like it could turn out pretty strong, actually, if there's something good in the two fog tiles to the south. The two fog tiles to the north look like they are both hills.

Of course, we could also turn out to have two more grasslands and a mountain. :p

Maybe a non-ancient start with a city already placed? :D

8. Rusten

Rusten Deity

Having a really hard time figuring out what I'm going to do the first turn(s) here. Hard to scout everything that's relevant so probably play it safe and settle in place? :dunno:

Very sad to see no espionage on. While variety is good this option is horrible. :(

Hopefully there will be more people playing the challenger save than in the immortal WOTM.

9. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

one north?

edit: agree with espionnage, option a bit broken :) ie. GE farming from the start, culture pbs...

10. ZPV

ZPV Short for ZPVCSPLFUIFDPEF

I think I'm starting to understand the map-maker's intentions.

I'll wander about for a couple of turns, and my first build will be a warrior. :p
    Spoiler :
    Really!

11. srad

srad King

Also thinking about settling one north. Some more hammers for the capital and a river for a levee.

What do you mean with GE farming? Great Engineer? How that?

12. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

Do we know anymore about Rising Seas?
    Anyone run a test?

When do they start rising?
    How many tiles per turn?
    Does the same tile get flooded more than once?

What was the improvement in SMAC that would protect us? Can we mod that in?

13. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

It's a global warming thing, so as far as I'm aware you won't see it at all unless something happens in your game to make global warming kick in. (I never saw it in any test games since I don't tend to play test games to that late in the game - you don't need to go that late to verify whether a given map is playable :) ). From the documentation, it simply means that global warming can cause affected tiles to 'sink' relative to the sea: Mountains will become hills, hills will become flat land, flat land will become sea.

14. Munro

Munro Deity

I'm planning to take the challenger save again. Though I agree with RRRaskolnikov about the starting units.

DS: is it too late to have a discussion about adding the extra settler and other deity units to the challenger save? It would be nice to know we are playing a 'real' deity save and the early units make a big difference.

In place settle looks reasonable. Food, fresh water, forests, hills, river tiles. All the makings of a strong bureau capital. Might move the warrior 1SE onto the forest to check there's nothing more exciting to be had from settling 1S (which would lose the FP) or (more possibly) 1SE instead.

15. oyzar

oyzar Have quit civ/forums

2E is another option, other than 1N.

As for the units. Deity AI have a LOT more bonuses than Immortal AI. The jump is something like prince -> immortal. Though obviously it will be easier.

I might even play this one if i find time (I abandoned BOTM 20). Challenger of course.

16. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Yeah, the Great Wall will give the GPP you want. Coupled with Mids, it will give +4 engineer points early on. Of course, this won't be necesarry doable :) (resources/opponents could be problematic)

Cheers

17. srad

srad King

Ah, ok, totally forgot the GW. Espacially that if will give GE points as in Vanilla and Warlords if "no espionage" is checked. Thanks!
    Hm, is there stone if marble is already that near :lol: ?

18. Skurn

Skurn Warlord

The big problem with no espionnage seems to be the border pop from culture which takes twice as long..
    I guess it's going to be necessary, even more than usual with a non-creative leader, to place the first cities to have ressources in the first square.

19. adrianj

adrianj Deity

I've read a lot about Joao's rexxing abilities - I guess with ideally suited traits of IMP + EXP. But I haven't really been able to pull it off while maintaining a decent tech rate.

Starting techs are fishing and mining... so if there's seafood then that's a big plus, and you're already a step closer to BW. But no useful worker techs like The Wheel or Agriculture. Especially on Immortal difficulty, Pottery and Writing feels so far away... before which I'm loath to settle too many cities which inevitably just delays them further.

Anybody out there have suggestions on how to play Joao in the early game?

20. Rusten

Rusten Deity

While there's no visible commerce resource there is a plethora of river tiles so I wouldn't worry too much about restricting settling. The 1 commerce on several tiles really adds up.

No barbarians means you won't need to go into unit upkeep either, you just need the 1 unit eventually.