News: BOTM 21 - Starts 15 August

The GOTM page for this one says (in the body) that the save is supposed to be played with BtS version 3.17 and HoF Mod 3.17.something. This might comfuse some who do not notice the red text saying we have to use the 3.19 BtS patch and the Buffy Mod.

Yeah, several people have pointed that out - Alan has fixed it now. (It took a while because it was automatically generated text, so fixing was slightly more complicated than might be expected). It is of course the 3.19 BtS patch and the Buffy mod you need.

DS: is it too late to have a discussion about adding the extra settler and other deity units to the challenger save? It would be nice to know we are playing a 'real' deity save and the early units make a big difference.

It was kind of too late when you posted, and it's definitely too late now the game has started :)

btw one (admittedly lazy) reason why we tend not to change the units when we change the difficulty level is that it's extremely easy with worldbuilder to change the difficulty level, but changing units is awkward because the UI to do that is pretty poor. Changing units for just the human player is not too bad, but changing them for all the AIs is very fiddly, and it's also very easy to muck up other aspects of the game when you do it and not notice (for example, accidentally introducing diplomatic relations between some of the AI). Checking for all that makes the process quite time consuming.

Of course the reason I personally like to claim as the real reason why we don't do it is that not changing the units means we're lessening the differences between the different games and so keeping the games more comparable. Actually that's the real reason. In fact I wouldn't bother reading that previous paragraph, it's really not worth it. You didn't read it did you...

btw one (admittedly lazy) reason why we tend not to change the units when we change the difficulty level is that it's extremely easy with worldbuilder to change the difficulty level, but changing units is awkward because the UI to do that is pretty poor. Changing units for just the human player is not too bad, but changing them for all the AIs is very fiddly, and it's also very easy to muck up other aspects of the game when you do it and not notice (for example, accidentally introducing diplomatic relations between some of the AI). Checking for all that makes the process quite time consuming.

One could just copy the settler line under begin unit and paste it. I can't imagine such a thing taking more than a couple minutes for all the AIs, if that. Admittedly it is mistake prone if you attempt it in WB itself, but much of the really *FUN* map modifications come in the text WB save anyway...making civs have the "minor civ" status, switching the colors of civs, starting a civ in a civic they shouldn't be able to run, swapping start locations, swapping which AIs are in the game (including sid) etc etc.

Is it also too late to definitively ban the oracle infinite tech bug that seems to exist in 3.19? Unlike the old bug that forced players to reload to use it, this one doesn't, and as such does not appear to directly violate HoF or XOTM rules, even though you could oracle every tech in the game except its pre-reqs in theory. I personally feel such a thing is a priority, else we're going to see a lot of BC space launches and easy mech infantry curb stomping conquests.

It's problematic, because it would be an issue to reject games that use it given that it does not seem to actually break any rules!

I think it goes without saying that using an exploit such as the Oracle infinite technology bug, if it's possible to do so in BUFFY (I just tried but couldn't) is totally against the spirit of the game, and I'd have no hesitation in disqualifying any submitted games that had used the exploit.

And you are correct that it is possible to do 'interesting' things by editing the worldbuilder text file in notepad :)

Is it also too late to definitively ban the oracle infinite tech bug that seems to exist in 3.19? Unlike the old bug that forced players to reload to use it, this one doesn't, and as such does not appear to directly violate HoF or XOTM rules, even though you could oracle every tech in the game except its pre-reqs in theory. I personally feel such a thing is a priority, else we're going to see a lot of BC space launches and easy mech infantry curb stomping conquests.

It's problematic, because it would be an issue to reject games that use it given that it does not seem to actually break any rules!

I think any reasonable interpretation of the GOTM rules as found in the Code of Conduct link on the GOTM page would make it clear that you cannot use anything even resembling this without prior permission from the game admin.

There are some types of exploits and bugs listed here that are specifically allowed or disallowed. If you wish to take advantage of a bug or exploit not listed then you must contact the staff via Private mail for a ruling on whether or not it will be allowed.

The list of allowed/disallowed exploits for Civ4 (all versions) should be updated. Last update was apparently made 2006 BC.

In case any of you haven't seen this thread: BANNED EXPLOIT. It's worth a quick read.

In summary: The exploit of getting unlimited free techs from the Oracle or liberalism does exist and it is banned from GOTMs. Also, if you are intending to build the Oracle or be first to liberalism in BOTM 21, please save your game - preferably just before and again just afterwards. We're working behind the scenes on making sure we will be able to detect from the submitted entries if anyone tries to use the exploit to get free techs, and we've pretty much got it sorted - but if there is any doubt, we may ask to see those saves.

If you've already played beyond that point then fair enough, there's nothing you can do. (Don't under any circumstances go back and replay any turns to make those saves - since that in itself is against the rules)

And thanks to the various people who brought this exploit to our attention so quickly.

If you don't trade on the turn you won lib or oracle, then there's really no doubt that only 1 tech was taken. Basically the request is just to make sure we can prove we did not use it, correct?

Top Bottom