[BTS] News: BOTM 211 Results and Congratulations

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, May 29, 2021.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Believe it or not, a few people actually managed to win this deity game! And not only that, but @Jovan Kukic achieved a THIRD eptathlon, thanks to a 1740 AD fastest space race (well, only successful space race actually). Congrats @Jovan Kukic! :woohoo::clap:

@crofter pulled off a fastest (only) religious award after playing only 3 GOTMs, while @shakabrade, @Powerfaker, and @krikav won by brute-force domination, with @shakabrade managing the earliest date - 1720 AD for the gold medal.

Perhaps not surprisingly for a deity game, those who retired or lost outnumbered the victories. Special congrats to @donsig for being the only person to play through to a conquest loss, and thereby winnning both ambulances! And well done to all those brave folks who attempted the game!

Summary of Medal Winners:

shakabrade: 1720 AD Domination Victory, 216,745 points.

Powerfaker: 1838 AD Domination Victory, 203,929 points.

krikav: 1844 AD Domination Victory, 166,172 points.

Fastest Finish Award Winners:

crofter: 1660 AD Religious Victory, 96,858 points.

Jovan Kukic: 1740 AD Spaceship Victory, 78,303 points.

Other Award Winners:

donsig: 400 AD Conquest Loss, 266 points.

>> See the full results here.
    >> See the updated global rankings here.
    >> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
    >> You can see and compare graphic replays of all the submissions here.
    >> Award symbols are listed here.

kcd_swede likes this.
  2. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Here's where everyone settled.

The Small Print:
    The numbers by each player's name indicate the turn settled on (starting turn is 0). Players are colour coded by game class (challenger=red, adventurer=blue). Symbols indicate victory condition, if there's no symbol then the player either retired or was defeated. The yellow border indicates the land that was visible at the start of the game.

krikav likes this.
  3. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Prince

Congratulations to the winners!

I see I stuck it out longest in my sinking ship. As an old chess player, I've always thought it was reasonable to resign when the end is obvious. It would have been easy to throw the game--giving away my cities and leaving the last one undefended to my enemies--but that would be some very tacky cheating for the sake of an ambulance.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    DynamicSpirit and shakabrade like this.
  4. Powerfaker

Powerfaker Warlord

Aahh, coming 2nd on domination makes me regret even more missing conquest while being so close. I should have gifted cities away I suppose and play 2 more turns.......

The nice thing about this game was that it took modern era units to finish off with. That doesn't happen very often. I should play more deity maybe.

@krikav , @shakabrade
    I looked at your replays. It makes much more sense to me now why you went for Hammi first. Hammi had spread much more around your lands than he had in mine, easy choice with the common hate on him. I had blocked the corridor to the south early enough to keep him away there, and Shaka beat him to the spots in the center. I also held the center corridor. So I had just a 3-tile borderline with Hammi far from my core. HC oth was on my doorstep controlling the northern corridor, so I was more focused on him myself.

DynamicSpirit, shakabrade and krikav like this.
  5. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

Finally the stars aligned for me to be able to play Deity BOTM. There was a bitter feeling from Toku game (BOTM 192, I think) which was unwinnable.
    With domination award in, I guess I have to learn how to play AP at last.

@Powerfaker
    I needed domination as I am trying to get to eptathlon. You are right that modern units are not seen often, and as a Deity player, I really rarely see nukes and modern armor in the games, but it was indeed needed on this large map.
    However, I realized that the way to win this map more quickly is actually to go for Cannons and Astronomy (Galleons) + Military Science (+ Airships + Artillery later). You would have been able to reach almost all cities very fast with much less tech and would not bleed units along the way. I was too scared of HC declaring on me and did not think I could wait a bit to follow that through. I overreacted and lost my momentum.
    Regarding you going for HC, yeah, it makes much more sense in your game, there is always a bit of RNG in the game and you played your map.

LowtherCastle and DynamicSpirit like this.