1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 212 - Inca, starts May 01, 2021

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by kcd_swede, Apr 29, 2021.

1. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

BOTM 212: Huayna Capac of Inca.
    You will play as everybody's favorite leader, Huayna Capac of the Incan civilization. I made this on Earth Day, so I started by planting trees... maybe went a bit overboard? You decide.
    No pesky barbarians, and you start with a Worker. So that your worker might more quickly have something to do, I gave you Hunting in addition to the normal starting techs (mysticism & agriculture).
    Since you are at Prince difficulty level, remember that it is a competition against other CivFanatics players moreso than against the AI. But you should all have fun no matter what!
    Game settings:
    Playing as:
    Huayna Capac of Inca
    Rivals: 8 AIs
    Difficulty: Prince
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: No barbarians, no goody huts, no random events
    Victory Conditions:
    All enabled
    Map settings:
    Map:
    Pangea
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Standard
    Climate: Temperate
    Sea level: Low
    Map latitudes: -90°S to 90°N
    Huayna Capac is Industrious and Financial, and you start with Mysticism, Agriculture and Hunting.
    The Industrious trait gives +50% wonder production and double production speed of Forge
    The Financial trait gives +1 commerce on any plot that already has at least 2 commerce
    Unique unit: Quechua (replaces Warrior)
    The Quechua benefits from: free promotions: combat1, and 100% combat bonus against archer units. This compares with the Warrior which has: no directly comparable benefits.
    Unique Building: Terrace (replaces Granary)
    Terrace cost 60:hammers:, Tech req. Pottery; Unique building for the Incans; Replaces Granary
    +2 :culture: culture
    Stores 50% of food after growth
    +1 health from Corn, Rice, Wheat
    Starting screenshot
    This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

Adventurer Class bonuses:

No Adventurer Class!

Challenger Class Equalizers:

For those who want a little more resistance in the game, play the Challenger save at Deity level (AI have Prince level starting units).

To Enter the Competition:
    This competition will open at 00:01 am on 1 maj 2021, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.
    Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 1 jun 2021.
    Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.
    Software Versions
    Windows:
    This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.
    Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.
    While playing...
    Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.
    We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

2. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Well done on settling choices!

kcd_swede likes this.
  3. Powerfaker

Powerfaker Warlord

Maybe not if seafood is orphaned, but settling Ivory would be obvious if it weren't for the worker that lets us improve it right away, right?
    Not that the idle worker turns matter. The question is if improved ivory will give the cap a faster development. (could also farm it). You would have to settle 2S if not on ivory I think.

How did we deserve such a spoilerish start? :)

kcd_swede likes this.
  4. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

I'd probably send the worker and Quechua SW to see if there are more resources. If not, maybe(?) send the settler SE to save the ivory for +2H and +2C (Financial) and the river plains hill for a mine. Although moving away from all those river grass cottage sites.... depends on whether you're playing Prince or Deity?

kcd_swede likes this.
  5. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

To my mind, it's not worth losing the fish by settling in place. So will plan to settle on the ivory, but will move the worker SW first just to check if that would orphan seafood. Since the worker can't do actually build anything yet if I settle on the ivory, wasting the worker turn by using him to explore is no loss. If there is more seafood, then can settle on one or the plains hills on the coast - although it would be annoying to lose the riverside status of 2S.

And - @kcd_swede - can't have too many trees on Earth day. Provided only that they are near us, not near the AI. I'm sure we can be trusted to manage and protect them better. :lol:

kcd_swede likes this.
  6. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

As long as cow-1E is not a mountain, you won't lose the fish. However, there are other possible seafood to lose. I think everyone will move the worker SW to find out first.
    Capital should ideally have more food than just +4 (working pig/ivory) tho. Tough choice.
    yay: no barbs for a change, yay: another chance for a cottage game, yay: Q-rush even if Prince starting units are warriors :(

kcd_swede likes this.
  7. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Yeah that's a good point. You can keep the fish by settling cow-1E. That does mean you're basically committed to settling in that spot or losing the fish though. I prefer not to have to make those kinds of decisions before I've seen what the land is like.[/QUOTE]

8. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Nice of @kcd_swede to throw gold all over our starting area :mischief:

Just sticking my head in here briefly and unlikely to play, but looking at the map, think I'd settle on the elephants. May orphan other seafood ofc, but the capital does have a ton of food at least, and it's only Prince. The bigger decision (?) is about wonderspamming or killing everybody fast. Or, turning those forests into wonders/gold or units. I'm sure somebody will win conquest and domination superfast here.

kcd_swede likes this.
  9. rpgarcher

rpgarcher Chieftain

the threads over at buffy seem pretty dead and I was just wondering if anyone had any insight. I'm new here, and I run civ4 through steam. I installed buffy in the same place I install all my other mods, but civ4 just plain doesn't see it. I checked pretty carefully to make sure I had the version for BTS 3.19. Any insight would be appreciated. I'd love to join the monthly civ club

krikav and kcd_swede like this.
  10. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I will PM you