[BTS] News: BOTM 214 - Sitting Bull, (Monarch) starts June 1, 2021

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by kcd_swede, May 30, 2021.

1. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

I’m going to send a scout out to find gold-FP…

2. Qactus

Qactus Romani ite domum

Not exactly gold ON floodplains, but I think this is as close as it gets (from the game linked above):
    Spoiler :

:yumyum:

LowtherCastle likes this.
  3. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Thanks for putting in that extra settler to the AIs in the challenger save.
    Not that familiar with great plains, but I kind of suspect it will be way harder than a normal game?

No water, which the AIs always struggle with, and also alot of poor plains tiles which doesn't seem to bother the AIs that much. Also, not alot of jungle for them to suffocate in, and no forest that they will fail to chop.

That, and barbs added on top of that... Well, thanks to the mapmaker for adding another AI so barbs will be abit safer, and good thing we are a good leader and are given a very sweet start! This might be a really though game.

4. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

You are welcome. But the thanks mostly should go to AlanH who gets an annoying and tedious job (instead of the normally quick and routine job) to make the Macintosh saves.

Spoiler secret confessions :
    Heck... if I wasn't so lazy, I'd have looked up what units and unit scripts and promotions they are supposed to get and do a real deity save. I decided it anyhow should be a challenging game even though they don't get to start with a worker like they would in real deity. (I'm always a little afraid to make it unwinnable for the deity players -- I can't tell because the deity games are practically all unwinnable for duffers like me).

LowtherCastle and krikav like this.
  5. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

@kcd_swede It's the extra settler that is the most important. What it does is that it bumps up the number of cities way faster than in immortal or lower, and as a result the barbarian invasion happends way earlier, adding some real sense of urgency to the games. :) Especially on maps like these with alot of land.

Thanks at @AlanH !

LowtherCastle and kcd_swede like this.
  6. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Not sure how much time I'll have for this, so I'll try Deity to keep it short. "adding some real sense of urgency", yeah, that's the ticket! ;)

LowtherCastle and kcd_swede like this.
  7. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi King

Hi Community, I haven't been playing for months. This botm is tempting me though.
    Why are some of you so crazy about the FP cow? Would you really sacrifice the 2 FPs to the south which make a much better longterm capitol? Even more as north to the warrior are more brown tiles. And an early 2nd city with the great cow tile is also worth for something, isn't it?
    Anyway, I will join in soon (and will most likely stay on the hill :)

kcd_swede and krikav like this.
  8. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Have anyone mentioned that SIP means you need to get TW to connect cities? Settlement anywhere along the river means you could in theory connect cities that way.

9. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

No worries. For what it's worth, the last time anyone submitted a Mac Challenger game was .... never!

10. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi King

So I should play Deity this time (and not die soon, because then I am more motivated to submit my game....) :)

kcd_swede likes this.
  11. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi King

It has been mentioned! However, TW is good to have anyway (maybe horses, cheaper pottery, connect resources -> on GP maps health becomes a nuisance early on)

krikav likes this.
  12. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

it's on the way to pottery, but doesn't make pottery cheaper.

13. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Personally I don't think the two FPs to the south make a better long-term capital. The FP cow, once it has a pasture on it, will give 5F2H - that's an incredibly powerful tile to have in the capital. Think, it gives you 7H towards building settlers and workers. If you think of that cow as the first tile you work, then it gives you the food to support the gems plus 3 plains-towns. On the other hand the two flood plains, if you stick a cottage on them and similarly view one of them as your first tile, that eventually gives you two towns plus enough food to support the gems plus two plains-towns. OK one additional town but only by using an extra pop. Slower growth in the early days because you don't have the 5F tile, plus if you are looking at the long term, you can't build a levee if you settle on the hill. To my mind, that all puts the balance of advantage with the FP cow.

Tobiyogi and kcd_swede like this.
  14. jnebbe

jnebbe Warlord

Just found this section of the forums, can someone explain the difference between hof games, gauntlet, g-major, and botm? Seems like multiple versions of the same idea.

krikav likes this.
  15. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

HOF games are maps that only one player play. They roll their own maps and submit their own games, but settings are common.
    Gauntlets (Gmajor/Gminor) is just special HOF games to encourage HOF player to play/explore different ventures.

BOTM is different from these since alot of players play the same map. But standard HOF rules apply (No reloads, No prior knowledge, No sharing info).

I have started a few games with the intent of trying to submit a HOF game, but it's not really my cup of tea.
    To stay competitive you need to roll a perfect start and have perfect luck with huts (I don't like huts).
    Also, HOF is almost always played without barbarians, and I really like them.

LowtherCastle likes this.
  16. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Hey jnebbe -

Actually quite different in context, despite use of BUFFY, which serves to allow both HOF and GOTM staff to vet the respective games. BOTM (or Game of the Month) are special maps created by the GOTM Staff for a friendly competition each month, or often bi-monthly. All participants of the GOTM play the same map, and can submit their game whether win or loss.. After the deadline of GOTM, staff tallies the results and hands out awards. Overtime, players can earn the special Eptathlon achievement award for placing, comprehensively, in all victory categories, earning Cow award (highest Base score), and gold medals (highest scoring game). GOTM staff often go to great lengths to provide interesting maps/games with sometimes unique scenarios. Probably the most fun I've had with Civ IV over the years.

The HOF at its core is basically a very enhanced version of that found in the game, although now your game results are stored on CFC servers for all time, with rankings among all games submitted and special categories and achievements. Anyone can submit qualifying games to the HOF per CFC HOF guidelines and rules. The Gauntlets (g-minor and major) are a monthly friendly competition based on conditions designated by the HOF Staff. (Often we look to focus those Gauntlets on particularly neglected HOF categories). Additionally, Staff occasionally runs a Challenger Series, which is a six month long friendly competition made up of 10 scenarios (conditions). Regardless, in all cases, players create their own maps and can submit as many games as they wish, even for a single category or competition, although only the top scoring is recorded.

Another way I look at the CFC HOF is that it is like an achievement system for a game that has no achievements built in. You can play your games and submit them here to store the results for all time, and see your results against other players who have submitted similar conditions. Special Achievements like Quattromasters and Elite Quattromasters provide interesting goals to strive for over time. And you can always continue to improve on your results as you can submit an infinite number of games to the HOF.

I have links to the GOTM and HOF pages in my sig, which you might like to peruse a bit if you've not before. On the GOTM page on the right side is a menu list where you can find the awards and results. You can also see the results of all past GOTMs and even download past games to play on your own for fun.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    jnebbe, krikav and LowtherCastle like this.
  17. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi King

So if I started with TW/agri or TW/Fish, I could go directly towards pottery
    So all 3 prerequisites don't make it cheaper? If I had only TW/Agri, I could go towards pottery directly and getting FISH before would not give me a discount?

18. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi King

Kind of convinced me :)

19. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

This game starts with both ag and fish, so you get -40% bonus.
    But if you played a game without those free tech, then TW/Ag or TW/fish would get you -20%.

TW is 'required' but doesn't have a line drawn to pottery. Take a look at Astronomy. It requires Optics and Calendar, but you get 0% bonus (no white lines go to it)

kcd_swede likes this.