[BTS] News: BOTM 219- Lincoln, Emperor - Starts 18 Aug

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff

BOTM 219: Lincoln of America.

Lincoln on a small and rather crowded map. And I'll warn you, I think this is a pretty tough starting position. Will you tough it out and fight? Will you win by diplomacy? Or will you play it Afghanistan style and just run away? ;)

Game settings:
Playing as: Lincoln of America
Rivals: 5 AIs
Difficulty: Emperor
Starting Era:
Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: No vassal states, no goody huts, no random events
Victory Conditions:
All enabled

Map settings:
Map: Fractal
World Wrap: Cylindrical
Mapsize: Small
Climate: Rocky
Sea level: Medium
Map latitudes: -90°S to 90°N

Lincoln is Philosophical and Charismatic, and you start with Fishing and Agriculture.

The Philosophical trait gives +100% great people birth rate and double production speed of University

The Charismatic trait gives +1 happiness/city, and -25% experience required for unit promotions

Unique unit: Navy SEAL (replaces Marine)
The Navy SEAL benefits from: 1-2 first strikes, and free promotions: amphibious and march. This compares with the Marine which has: 0 first strikes, and free promotions: amphibious.

Unique Building: Mall (replaces Supermarket)
Besides the extra health and food of the mall, the supermarket gives you +1 happiness from hit musicals, singles and movies, and +20% gold in each city you build it in.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Adventurer Class bonuses:
You play on prince level. But the AI still has emperor level starting units.

Challenger Class Equalizers:
You play on deity level. But the AI still has emperor level starting units, so it's more like deity-lite. Even so, do consider my comment about the tough start before you decide to play deity.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 18 Aug 2021, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 20 Sep 2021.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

Yummy. NE looks better for capital, with 3 seafoods for growth, philo trait. SW or S better for fast start.

Hard to not move to the ivory first to see if there are more seafood out west, though that’s virtually impossible if this is a difficult start. But that would mean another turn delay if settling NE. Ouch.

Small and crowded map... That sounds really dangerous.
Could be a case where wandering inland abit might be necessery to not suffer.
On the other hand... settling on that ivory and working the 3H tile from T0 would give a very fast workboat!

I thought about 1E, but that's maybe thinking longer term than I will survive if I do it. So I am definitely tempted to use the starting settler to block off enough land for 3 decent cities. Rocky maps are usually awful, but all maps seem to give a decent start position... so I absolutely don't expect to find a better spot. I plane to use the starting greenery to feed a few cities, rather than one supercity. If I find a farmable resource I'm ecstatic.

I'm thinking a city2 1 south, and a city3 on the warrior or 1NE from that. Capitol inland east-south-eastward.

No vassal states. Mmm...
Is there anything different on a small map other than corporation output per resource?

No vassal states. Mmm...
Is there anything different on a small map other than corporation output per resource?
Various rates and costs have different scalings. The main thing, I'd say, is that you need fewer buildings to build Nat'l Wonders, e.g., 5 universities for Oxford instead of the 6 you'd need on a standard size map. And I think(?) on Small it might only be 2 temples needed per cathedral.

Yep, some of us are waiting for a Mac save, good to know it is coming, looks like a fun game :)

Hi. I'm very sorry that real life got in the way of producing the Mac saves for this game. I have been selling my house and buying an apartment, and arranging for a short vacation at the same time, so my calendar got somewhat skewed.

I have uploaded them now.

Hi. I'm very sorry that real life got in the way of producing the Mac saves for this game. I have been selling my house and buying an apartment, and arranging for a short vacation at the same time, so my calendar got somewhat skewed.

I have uploaded them now.

Hi, no worries, we Mac addicts are very grateful for your work! and completely understood. Great to know that the saves are ready :)

I think that what I can say is that I lived to tell the tale! :)
I enjoyed the period 4000bc -> 1AD tremendeously.

Top Bottom