[BTS] News: BOTM 222 Results and Congratulations

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Nov 17, 2021.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

A nice round of results here, although I get the impression from the results (all victories were contender) and the spoiler threads that, just maybe, the challenger save might have turned out to be a lot harder than I expected. Sorry! :blush:

Anyway, @Pangaea heads up these results with a 1760 AD fastest space win, AND the highest base and final scores, giving him the gold medal and the cow to boot! @Powerfaker took silver with a conquest win, although not the fastest one: That honour goes to @krikav with a date of 1350 AD. Fastest domination - and bronze - to @Conquistador 63 in 1575 AD. And I think on this occasion we actually saw every award-winning victory type, with @Zhary getting the only culture win, @MarleysGh0st nabbing religious, and @the Count of Holland and Zeeland the Diplo win - first award after only two GOTM entries! Congrats, Count!

Well done everyone!

Summary of Medal Winners:

Pangaea: 1760 AD Spaceship Victory, 142,851 points.

Powerfaker: 1470 AD Conquest Victory, 117,538 points.

conquistador 63: 1575 AD Domination Victory, 117,310 points.

Fastest Finish Award Winners:

Krikav: 1350 AD Conquest Victory, 86,311 points.

zhary: 1890 AD Cultural Victory, 38,494 points.

MarleysGh0st: 1880 AD Religious Victory, 36,610 points.

the Count of Holland and Zeeland: 1948 AD Diplomatic Victory, 18,616 points.

Other Award Winners:

smiregal: 1840 AD Spaceship Victory, 84,852 points.

LinkDinkin: 1818 AD Domination Victory, 59,446 points.

donsig: 1998 AD Spaceship Loss, 2,834 points.

greatbeyond: 1962 AD Cultural Loss, 1,737 points.

>> See the full results here.
    >> See the updated global rankings here.
    >> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
    >> You can see and compare graphic replays of all the submissions here.
    >> Award symbols are listed here.

Pangaea likes this.
  2. DynamicSpirit

Here's where everyone settled. A few different places. I'm glad to see that everyone took my advice not to settle in-place, but migrated to the coast instead. I'd have felt very bad if anyone had settled in-place! (EDIT: Urgh - didn't notice Pangaea's SIP.)

The Small Print:
    The numbers by each player's name indicate the turn settled on (starting turn is 0). Players are colour coded by game class (challenger=red, adventurer=blue). Symbols indicate victory condition, if there's no symbol then the player either retired or was defeated. The yellow border indicates the land that was visible at the start of the game.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  3. Powerfaker

Powerfaker Warlord

Hmmm, everybody moved, except the gold medal winner. So how good was this advice I wonder? :)

4. DynamicSpirit

Ooops - didn't notice that. Corrected my post. Thanks @Powerfaker

Have to admit I can't see any way that @Pangaea could have got any advantage by settling in a spot that had no usable T0 resources. Maybe that makes his gold medal even more impressive?

5. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

:lol: I read this before your edit, and wondered how to respond, or if you were being tongue-in-cheek :p Anyway, that spot seemed to work out well for me, despite the low food. was able to settle some cities around it on the coast, and meant I could avoid going haywire on the new continent, racking up steep colonial costs too soon.

1350AD conquest on this map and scenario is really good I think.

Did HC get 'stuck' on two cities for anybody else? For some reason he 'bugged' out for me and sat at his two starting (ish) cities for almost the entire game. Still teched fast and built every wonder in the world (almost), but didn't really expand at all.

It was probably easy to spawnbust anyway, but what happened for me was that practically the entire island was spawnbusted by the city when it expanded borders once or twice. Not a single barb spawned locally.

DynamicSpirit likes this.
  6. Powerfaker

Powerfaker Warlord

Checked it in my save. I DoWed him 920AD, conquered 6 of his cities, capped him 1140AD with I think 3 cities remaining. At the end of my game 1470AD he had grown back to 7 cities, so certainly not inactive.
    Despite being advanced his army size was noble level still, say 5-7 defenders in his best cities. His jewel on the island had a lone longbow defending

7. DynamicSpirit

Haha! Yeah, on re-checking, I realized that if I'd put a smiley on it, that could easily have been a tongue-in-cheek comment. Drat! Should've thought of that before I admitted I was being careless. :lol: