[BTS] News: BOTM 224 Results and Congratulations

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Dec 24, 2021.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

In this game, only space and cultural victories were enabled, which meant only two fastest finish awards were available. They got snapped up by @Conquistador 63 (1635 AD space - an astonishingly early date to my mind!) and @Fine_Distinction (1440 AD cultural). The higher scoring potential of a fast space win was neatly demonstrated by all the medal winners being space wins - @Termitnik, @nocho, and @Conquistador 63.

A few people tried the challenger save, which - at deity rather than prince level - was massively harder. And I think this was shown by challenger saves dominating the retired games list. So - a special mention to @jnebbe, @Xcalibrator, and @Fernão de Magalhães for attempting challenger, and super-congratulations to @MirrorGuard and @mscellaneous for not just attempting challenger, but beating it with space wins!

Apologies for the delay releasing these results - there were a couple of issues we had to sort out.

Summary of Medal Winners:

Termitnik: 1750 AD Spaceship Victory, 404,402 points.

nocho: 1650 AD Spaceship Victory, 248,370 points.

Conquistador 63: 1635 AD Spaceship Victory, 227,775 points.

Fastest Finish Award Winners:

Fine_Distinction: 1440 AD Cultural Victory, 75,182 points.

donsig: 2050 AD Cultural Victory, 23,133 points.

Other Award Winners:

Lagashvili: 1918 AD Spaceship Victory, 33,029 points.

>> See the full results here.
    >> See the updated global rankings here.
    >> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
    >> You can see and compare graphic replays of all the submissions here.
    >> Award symbols are listed here.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  2. DynamicSpirit

Here's where everyone settled.

The Small Print:
    The numbers by each player's name indicate the turn settled on (starting turn is 0). Players are colour coded by game class (challenger=red, adventurer=blue). Symbols indicate victory condition, if there's no symbol then the player either retired or was defeated. The yellow border indicates the land that was visible at the start of the game.

Fine_Distinction likes this.
  3. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Prince

Yay! My first culture win :D great Christmas gift :D Thank you @DynamicSpirit for a very enjoyable game. Maybe I will try for an epathlone or whatever it is called. @NickTrofimuk and couple others were pretty close, so I feel very fortunate :). Congrats to all!

EDIT: Wow, it was reaaaally close. Poor @NickTrofimuk was just a turn behind me!@Powerfaker and @Jovan Kukic couple turns behind and @LinkDinkin much later but with almost triple my score probably doing traditional cultural victory. BTW, I did not realize how much my score would suck so I am very lucky to get the cultural win.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  4. NickTrofimuk

NickTrofimuk Chieftain

Haha it was very close! Great job and congrats on the win :thumbsup: This was a fun one, it's neat to see the effects of restricting it to space/culture victories

5. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Prince

I knew I had left a big opportunity for someone to pass me in my half-hearted effort for a cow. Congratulations to @donsig for taking advantage of every turn of that opportunity. And since the adjusted final score went down as the base score kept going up, that gave him the low-scoring cultural shield, too!

6. DynamicSpirit

Yeah, apologies to @donsig - I totally missed that achievement when I was writing my description of the results. That really is an impressive base score - over 27K. I actually wonder whether it might be an all time record for GOTMs (sadly, I don't have direct access to query the database to confirm either way, but it seems very possible). And to actually arrange a cultural victory on the very last turn of the game must have taken some micro-managing. So - belated congratulations @donsig.