[BTS] News: BOTM 228 - Hammurabi, Noble - Starts 3 Jan

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Dec 31, 2021.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 228: Hammurabi of Babylon.

This month it's back to noble level. But, to make sure the game isn't a complete rollover, I've given all AIs the means to defend themselves. You might want to ponder that before you decide to cross swords (or bowmen) with them.

Game settings:
    Playing as: Hammurabi of Babylon
    Rivals: 6 AIs
    Difficulty: Noble
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: None
    Victory Conditions:
    All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Fractal
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Standard
    Climate: Temperate
    Sea level: Medium
    Map latitudes: -90°S to 90°N

Hammurabi is Organized and Aggressive, and you start with The Wheel and Agriculture.

The Organized trait gives -50% civic upkeep and double production speed of Courthouse, Factory and Lighthouse

The Aggressive trait gives free Combat I promotion for melee and gunpowder units and double production speed of Barracks and Drydock

Unique unit: Bowman (replaces Archer)
    Besides the abilities of the archer, the bowman has +50% strength against melee units.

Unique Building: Garden (replaces Colosseum)
    Besides the usual +1 happiness of the colosseum, the garden gives +2 health.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Challenger Class Equalizers:
    Every AI starts with a worker, in addition to their contender units. Now I know what you're thinking... 6 free workers to steal! Before you get too excited, you might want to re-read the bit about AIs being able to defend themselves, and consider: Would the mapmaker really be silly enough to make the challenger save easier than the contender save? Of course, you might consider that there are possible trading advantages to having a more powerful AI anyway... that's up to you and your playing style.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 3 Jan 2022, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 3 Feb 2022.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

kcd_swede and Fine_Distinction like this.
  2. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Prince

Very curious how you armed the AIs - but I am so far two games behind, if I have time to play civ I will try to finish Suleiman/Iceland game

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  3. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Prince

"Means to defend themselves" is such a delightfully vague phrase! :mischief:

On the other hand, this may be the only time we've ever had the opportunity to play a Challenger save that's still at Noble difficulty. Extra workers for the AI, even if we can't steal them, can't be that much of a handicap to overcome in exchange for the Challenger score bonus! (Those who refuse to play anything less that Deity may be disappointed this month, though.)

I think I'll settle in place, although there's a chance the western crab might be stranded, if the coast doesn't stretch north for another square. Move the warrior NW first to check that out? If the crab would be stranded, might it make sense to move off the PH and settle on the sheep?

Happy New Year, everyone! Let's hope it breaks the trend of the last two years.

Fine_Distinction likes this.
  4. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

There isn't actually a challenger score bonus. Just the privilege of getting your game listed more prominently, in a different colour, in the results. And the possibility of a special mention, if it seems appropriate when I write up the results.

5. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Prince

Oh. Shows how much attention I pay to that level.

6. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Mechanised infantry, huh?

Unusual with a capital without freshwater, but I see little reason to move away from such a nice PH spot. Hopefully the western crab isn't ruined, but it's not a catastrophe if it is. We're hardly lacking in food here.

ORG is nice for big, sprawling empires (tho maintenance isn't much on noble) - if I didn't play so darn slow, it would be nice to go to space.

"Options: None" means events and huts are on? That could change things pretty drastically, particularly since this is noble, where huts can spawn free settlers and workers iirc? Or maybe that was even lower. Hmm.

7. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Warlord and below start giving settler and worker chances.

Pangaea likes this.
  8. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

upload_2022-1-1_8-2-24.jpeg

This is for Noble.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  9. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Prince

Options: None means the events aren't disabled and it's possible the goody huts aren't manually deleted nearby. At least there isn't any cursed ice visible...
    AI has the means to defend, I guess every AI has at least 3 machine guns to ensure their survival. Or if that's too much for Noble they have longbows, but my bet is on machine guns.

10. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Prince

well, one can figure out their overall military strength Fromm demo screen immediately after logging in

11. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Machine guns are not likely to be used in protecting their workers so it has to be some sort of attack unit I would think.

12. sylvanllewelyn

sylvanllewelyn Perma-newb

Do unit promotions show up on the demographics? Can the mapmaker just give all the unit promotions to the starting warrior?

13. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Prince

No, promotions don't count in demographics

14. Conquistador 63

Conquistador 63 Deity

In a distant past I read one could assess the strenght of the game’s current most powerful unit by enabling the graphics option which shows the health bar above each unit, or something like that, but I don’t recall exactly how.

15. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Yes, that is possible. Not an exact science, but in the early game a warrior will have fairly wide strength bars, and in the late game it's two pixels wide or something :lol: So if for instance the map maker did give MGs or infantry or something to the AIs, then our starting warrior would have a very tiny health bar. It is based on the most powerful unit in the world.

Fun with speculation like this (and here is another one...), but I suspect it's a bit more mundane, like giving the AIs an archer or longbow or two. Enough to deter us in the early game, but not a game changer longterm.

16. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Prince

Also the problem with giving AI a very powerful units from another era is that they don’t know what to do with them and would often disband them. I saw it is happening (by tracking demos carefully) in DS’scLockdown Special game and NZ’s Super-Mongol game. But it is situational, was not reported by all people players and was not happening with all the units. In my limited experience units too far from the future are most prone to disbanding

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  17. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Don't know if there is any truth to this, but I recall a discussion in one of those games (one where the AIs got 3 MGs each - edit: hmm, or maybe it was one of the many Humbaba games :p ), where it was said that the AI was more likely to disband units without any promotions, irrespective of their power. So if they were in economic problems, they could disband an MG without promos, instead of an CG archer or something like that. Very strange. Probably not easy to test if they actually act like that in such a scenario. But if true, the map makers can of course just give them some promos. Maybe one is enough.

18. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Prince

There are probably ways to tweak probabilities of this not happening, but I remember from the Lockdown Special Game ("Bleach cures it honest!" my favorite GOTM!) that when I finally got onto Pathogens island they did not have units (tanks iirc given by DS). Some people who got there earlier saw them, but I think there was also between-game variability that could not just be explained by date. Maybe our knowledge about AIs disbanding decisions has improved now. Was fun anyway - tracking military in demo was giving me enough adrenaline

19. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi King

Hi there, I've reinstalled Civ 4 after quite a while. Playing again on steam (mac). I was trying to get the MacBuffy, but whenever I click on the hyperlink in the thread, nothing happens. Is that mod still available?

Happy Civ-ing!

20. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Try it now