[BTS] News: BOTM 234 (Korea) starts May 01, 2022

kcd_swede

Jag är Viking!½
GOTM Staff

BOTM 234: Wang Kon of Korea.

You will play as Wang Kon of Korea at Noble level on an undisclosed map script.
Game settings:
Playing as: Wang Kon of Korea
Rivals: 6 AIs
Difficulty: Noble
Starting Era:
Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: No barbarians, no goody huts, no random events
Victory Conditions:
All enabled
Map settings:
Map: undisclosed
World Wrap: Cylindrical
Mapsize: Standard
Climate: Temperate
Sea level: Medium
Map latitudes: -90°S to 90°N
Wang Kon is Financial and Protective, and you start with Mysticism and Mining.
The Financial trait gives +1 commerce on any plot that already has at least 2 commerce
The Protective trait gives free City Garrison I and Drill I promotion for archery and gunpowder units and double production speed of Castle and Walls
Unique unit: Hwacha (replaces Catapult)
The Hwacha benefits from: 50% combat bonus against melee units. This compares with the Catapult which has: no directly comparable benefits.
Unique Building: Seowon (replaces University)
Seowon 200:hammers: requires Education and a Library; Unique building for the Koreans; Replaces University
+3
+35%
Required to build Oxford University
Starting screenshot
This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as ESPIONAGE victories, so an extra medal opportunity for those interested.

Adventurer Class bonuses:
No adventurer save
Challenger Class Equalizers:
No challenger save
To Enter the Competition:
This competition will open at 00:01 am on 1 May 2022, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.
Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 1 Jun 2022.
Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.
Software Versions
Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.
Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.
While playing...
Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.
We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

Last edited:
Ooh, those funny little twists, map type unknown :crazyeye:

Not that great start location and no barbs. The best land must be quite a walk then ..........:dance:

If I don't have an obvious tile to send the settler to on turn 0, and there is ocean visible, I usually prefer to settle quickly on the coast and make trade easier later on (especially when I have chosen a random map script and don't know how many coast cities I will be building). But, I don't see much benefit to SIP (river pigs before border pop is nice, but I don't think it makes that much difference, and the chance for a levee later on is a depressing reason to choose a capital location, for me). I might send my settler south to check out the river next to the grassland forest hills, but if I choose a turn 0 capital, I am considering directly on top of the spices.
Is settle on top of spices a stupid idea?

Is settle on top of spices a stupid idea?
Settling on spices basically is a gamble on getting resources in the fog further west. If there's nothing you ruin with no reward a good food tile with additional Fin boosted commerce (with plantation).
Because it's Noble I'm playing with the idea to walk. Staying in this green area is certainly a serious option, but then probably just SIP. The tile SE looks like a hidden resource. Once you have AH and Bronze this might be a fine place. It will be just a slow start to get there.

I'm sure you are right, both about walking and little likelihood of better tiles... My thought was that I didn't lose anything, still got a turn 0, and saved time on a plantation but still got the happy later on.
To be clear, not trying to argue for it, instead offering my ideas so others can teach me (last game was obviously lost because of city placement, that is my top priority this game)

Not sure if I'll have time to play this one (so give it low priority) but will there be a Challenger save?

I'll settle in place. Besides the tile to the SE, the one to the WSW also looks unforested and may have a useful resource.

Not sure if I'll have time to play this one (so give it low priority) but will there be a Challenger save?

No... our fearless leader is on travels to South Africa and I didn't want to add to his job of making the Mac save(s). Think of the challenge being to win faster than your fellow BOTM players, as the AI are not able to offer much resistance at Noble level. BOTM235 will be at Deity difficulty for all 3 saves, though... so do try to stay in shape for that one.:viking::satan:

Nice touch to forest the peak. Gives 0.5 health.
I wonder what mapmaking evils were done to warrant such a bonus.
I'll SIP unless the warrior reveals something to make me reconsider.

Is this the first time ever?
I am not aware of any other BOTM which separated them from regular cultural victories... but I might have missed some. It is more work for the mapmaker in compiling the results, but since the number of submissions seems stable and manageable, why the heck not? (My inner voice is telling me I am going to regret it... but what does he know?):spear:

I am not aware of any other BOTM which separated them from regular cultural victories... but I might have missed some. It is more work for the mapmaker in compiling the results, but since the number of submissions seems stable and manageable, why the heck not? (My inner voice is telling me I am going to regret it... but what does he know?):spear:
Septathelon?

I feel a regular Cultural award is wide open as everyone chases the espionage win

And, for me I am settling in place, unless my warrior discovers something cool. I love Wang Kon....one of my fave's. Love those sea tiles

I feel a regular Cultural award is wide open as everyone chases the espionage win

And, for me I am settling in place, unless my warrior discovers something cool. I love Wang Kon....one of my fave's. Love those sea tiles

Neil! Good to see you back here! :D

Spoiler threads are up. Please try to respect the reading and posting restrictions for each spoiler thread.

Please try to respect the reading and posting restrictions for each spoiler thread.
You could simply tell us anyone clearly violating the restrictions will be disqualified.
(I remember back in the old days I was disqualified often just because the Buffy mod got angry with the game showing wonder-building vids. Finally I solved the problem by turning the vids off. Solution was easy, troubleshooting was impossible.)
Sorry for rambling, I'm:old:

Top Bottom