[BTS] News: BOTM 248: Mehmed, Prince - Starts 10 Feb

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff

BOTM 248: Mehmed of Ottomans.

After a run of 'unusual' games this is a pretty standard one, with just some minimal editing of the map. I created this with medium sea level, but the map script has produced a map that doesn't have a huge amount of good land on it. So it could get quite crowded!

This game is the '1st-of-the-month' game running a bit late. We're hoping we'll still be able to get you a '15th-of-the-month' difficult game soon too!

Game settings:
Playing as: Mehmed of Ottomans
Rivals: 6 AIs
Difficulty: Prince
Starting Era:
Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: Raging barbarians, no goody huts
Victory Conditions:
All enabled

Map settings:
Map: Fractal
World Wrap: Cylindrical
Mapsize: Standard
Climate: Arid
Sea level: Medium
Map latitudes: -90°S to 90°N

Mehmed is Expansive and Organized, and you start with The Wheel and Agriculture.

The Expansive trait gives +2 health/city and +25% hammers for worker production and double production speed of Granary and Harbor

The Organized trait gives -50% civic upkeep and double production speed of Courthouse, Factory and Lighthouse

Unique unit: Janissary (replaces Musketman)
The janissary has the same base strength as the musketman, but it gets an extra +25% strength against archery, melee AND mounted units.

Unique Building: Hammam (replaces Aqueduct)
Besides the health benefits of the aquaduct, the hammam gives +2 happiness in the city in which it is built.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Challenger Class Equalizers:
You play on emperor level (but the AI still has prince level starting units)

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 10 Feb 2023, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 13 Mar 2023.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.
@The_J @Blake00

Last edited:
My warrior will scout to the NE, but assuming there's nothing spectacular in that direction, I think moving the settler S onto the PH is the best move. Particularly with raging barbs.

Looks like fun!

I love playing Mehmed, you could conquer the world with Janisarries paired with Cannons (lib Steel!).

Not sure if I would settle on the coast, with raging barbs i'd rather build units early instead of workboats. The PH 2S of the Cow looks tempting, it could possibly protect 1 or 2 coastal cities. 2S1W of the Cow might also be a possibility. I'd probably send the warrior SE, though the warrior does not seem to provide much options for T0 scouting.

Last edited:
Random events.
Indeed. There was a random earthquake just recently. Send :help: if you can.

Although Turkey isn't my favorite country right now, due to their leader trying to blackmail certain Nordic countries, I'll give this a try. At least the bar is really low if I just try to be better than R.D.Gun...
The world is full of raging barbarians, thanks to one :evil::backstab:er. May he get what he deserves. 🔥🔥😱:devil:🔥🔥
Enough [offtopic]. Thanks for a non-deity non-ice map.

Wow, imagine my excitement finding that this is still going on decades after the game came out! I'll be doing my first GOTM ever this month... I think I have the right Civ version and the Buffy mod downloaded but is there a way for me to check?

Wow, imagine my excitement finding that this is still going on decades after the game came out! I'll be doing my first GOTM ever this month... I think I have the right Civ version and the Buffy mod downloaded but is there a way for me to check?

If you don't have the correct Civ version and patches and Buffy mod loaded, you won't be able to open the starting save for the game! So if you can open it, you have the correct versions (but also, pay attention to any warning dialogs the game pops up when you open it that will advise you of any problems).

And - welcome to the GOTM! Good luck with your game!

If you don't have the correct Civ version and patches and Buffy mod loaded, you won't be able to open the starting save for the game! So if you can open it, you have the correct versions (but also, pay attention to any warning dialogs the game pops up when you open it that will advise you of any problems).

Should've added... If you want to check your setup is correct without experimenting on a game that you intend to enter the competition with, the easiest way is just to grab the starting save from any other recent GOTM game. If you can open any recent GOTM save OK without the game immediately displaying any warning dialogs, then you're all set!

The server seems to be not working... I guess I should just try to download the start save tomorrow.

The server seems to be not working... I guess I should just try to download the start save tomorrow.
I tried a few moments ago. I was able to download BOTM248 but not BOTM249. Got the following message:
"Sorry, file saves/gotm70249/civ4botm249contender.CivBeyondSwordSave is not available.".

EDIT: Downloaded files now, problem seems to be solved

Last edited:
I tried a few moments ago. I was able to download BOTM248 but not BOTM249. Got the following message:
"Sorry, file saves/gotm70249/civ4botm249contender.CivBeyondSwordSave is not available.".

EDIT: Downloaded files now, problem seems to be solved
Thx for the update, and now I have the save. Let the games begin!

Top Bottom