• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[BTS] News: BOTM 275 - Ramesses II, Monarch starts June 14

kcd_swede

Jag är Viking!½
GOTM Staff

BOTM 275: Ramesses II of Egypt.

Monarch level game that puts the 2 in Ramesses II! There are 16 civs in this game, and all 8 Leaders (including you as Ramesses II) on the starting continent begin with a vassal on a distant continent. To prevent it from getting too crowded, I had to give you a large map... so I will give you some extra time to finish. Have fun and enjoy!

Game settings:
Playing as: Ramesses II of Egypt
Rivals: 15 AIs
Difficulty: Monarch
Starting Era:
Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: No goody huts, no random events
Victory Conditions:
All enabled

Map settings:
Map: Custom_continents (2 continents)
World Wrap: Cylindrical
Mapsize: Large
Climate: Temperate
Sea level: Medium
Map latitudes: -90°S to 90°N

Ramesses II is Spiritual and Industrious, and you start with The Wheel and Agriculture.

The Spiritual trait gives no anarchy and double production speed of Temple and Cristo Redentor

The Industrious trait gives +50% wonder production and double production speed of Forge

Unique unit: War Chariot (replaces Chariot)
A favourite for early sneak attacks, the war chariot is stronger than a chariot, with a base strength of 5. And it's also immune to first strikes.

Unique Building: Obelisk (replaces Monument)
The obelisk lets you turn 2 citizens into priests. Very nice if you want a super-early great prophet!

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Adventurer Class bonuses:
No Adventurer class

Challenger Class Equalizers:
No Challenger class

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 14 Jun 2024, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 22 Jul 2024.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

Last edited:
Thanks, kcd--very interesting setup. I'd assume that an Astronomy beeline would be a good idea here?

BTW, I think you meant the deadline will be Aug 8, not July, right?

Thanks, kcd--very interesting setup. I'd assume that an Astronomy beeline would be a good idea here?

BTW, I think you meant the deadline will be Aug 8, not July, right?
Um... yeah that was a mistake. I'll update so you get a week extra rather than a week less. :blush:

How can you set that up at map creation? Simulate capitulation? (It matters because in a normal game it's easier for peace vassals to break out than capitulated ones.)

How can you set that up at map creation? Simulate capitulation? (It matters because in a normal game it's easier for peace vassals to break out than capitulated ones.)
I can't recall if you can do it at map creation, but you should be able to by modifying the WB file in Notepad. Mainly a copy/paste job once you get the right format for the vassal coding.

(It matters because in a normal game it's easier for peace vassals to break out than capitulated ones.)
But this isn't a normal game! If our vassal and we are both starting from scratch, it seem inevitable that they will surpass the 50% land and population ratio with us and declare their freedom. Did you play test this, kcd_swede? :undecide:

Assuming they do remain our vassal for at least a while, alphabet may be more important than usual, so that we can trade whatever techs we instruct our vassals to research.

As for the starting position, I don't want to give up the gold, so I'll settle in place. There are lots of trees to chop! :)

There is a diplomacy tool in the WB where you can set the status for each civ.

But this isn't a normal game! If our vassal and we are both starting from scratch, it seem inevitable that they will surpass the 50% land and population ratio with us and declare their freedom. Did you play test this, kcd_swede? :undecide:

Assuming they do remain our vassal for at least a while, alphabet may be more important than usual, so that we can trade whatever techs we instruct our vassals to research.

As for the starting position, I don't want to give up the gold, so I'll settle in place. There are lots of trees to chop! :)
Yes, I have play tested it.

Yes, I have play tested it.
And the evil mapmaker reveals no more about it. :evil:

I do like the concept of this game. Let's assume we can keep our vassal and that we need astronomy before we can reach the other continent. That means we'll have limited influence over how any wars are going, over there. Yes, we will control the diplomatic negotiations for both of us, but we won't even be able to see what that continent looks like, until we get paper for map trading. Until then, the best indication we'll have will be to see if the vassal is gaining or losing cities. Meanwhile, back on our own continent, any opponents we have in wars will refuse to capitulate, because they have a vassal.

If all of the vassals do break free, then we're left with a large map and 15 independent AI.

Should be fun! :cool:

It seems the bug is still present: every other time I try to download the PC file I get the following:

Sorry, file saves/gotm70275/civ4botm275contender.CivBeyondSwordSave is not available.

I got the save downloaded but for a while I was wondering about the :evil: mapmaker...

Haven't played CIV for a while, but this map looks exciting.
I would certainy settle SE on the plains hill. Extra hammer in capital is better than gold, I think. We can settle second city on the plains hill NE of gold to and even share pigs

Top Bottom