1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

News: BOTM 50 Results & Congratulations

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by kcd_swede, Mar 1, 2012.

1. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

Sury-man goes crazy in the oasis! News at 11!
    Lots of crazy high scores this time around. 36 of the 54 accepted submissions topped the 6-digit barrier on this one! :eek: I guess that Sampo really was a gift from the gods. :) It seems to me the less challenging that winning the game is, the more challenging the competition from your fellow players becomes. :crazyeye:

For the Medals, Conquistador63 just beat -Asterix- for the gold by less than 0.5% margin. Shulec takes honors for the bronze.

**** Shulec also breaks into the "All-time highest scoring" list with the highest scoring Religious victory in the history of BOTM's! ***** :clap::worship:
    Htadus gets the Cow award in a very respectable 4th place finish. Don't see the cow so close to the medals very often, do we?

The remaining awards are listed below with a lot of familiar names in familiar places. Thanks for showing us how its done!:goodjob:

I'd also like to give special congratulations to Tachywaxon who submitted the highest scoring Challenger game, which might otherwise go unrecognized. Wastintime didn't waste any time getting a Fastest Diplomatic Victory award with his Challenger submission.

And in another rare occurance, we have only one double award-earner, Falabello, who takes both ambulances. Hang in there - its a fast way to improve your game if you take advantage of the expertise around here. Thanks for submitting. :goodjob:

BtS BOTM 50 Results:
    Summary of Medal Winners:

Conquistador 63: 1305 AD Domination Victory, 452,032 points.

-Asterix-: 1010 AD Domination Victory, 448,983 points.

shulec: 1465 AD Religious Victory, 356,034 points.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fastest Finish Award Winners:

htadus: 1695 AD Domination Victory, 355,411 points.

evil_spock: 820 AD Domination Victory, 331,152 points.

Jovan Kukic: 25 AD Conquest Victory, 284,472 points.

ZPV: 1610 AD Spaceship Victory, 261,336 points.

zamint3: 475 AD Religious Victory, 138,225 points.

jesusin: 1350 AD Cultural Victory, 136,258 points.

WastinTime: 1000 AD Diplomatic Victory, 77,111 points.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Award Winners:

SilentWatcher: 1853 AD Conquest Victory, 110,555 points.

Murky: 1880 AD Domination Victory, 88,139 points.

donsig: 1898 AD Diplomatic Victory, 73,731 points.

raistlin1967: 1320 AD Religious Victory, 68,282 points.

The Dude Esq: 1911 AD Spaceship Victory, 48,326 points.

cas: 1834 AD Cultural Victory, 15,502 points.

Falabello: 1942 AD Cultural Loss, 3,495 points.

>> See the full results here.
    >> See the updated global rankings here.
    >> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
    >> Award symbols are listed here.

2. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

I'm going to claim a victory of sorts by being the highest scoring player to remain under 100,000. :crazyeye::mischief::D

3. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

I knew Jovan was up to something. Early exploration might have been wiser with the immortal scout I guess. At least you could provide me that sweet BC conquest. :o :)

To gain awards, you really need to go for victory that are the least obvious I see. Mistake I did once gain in BOTM51...

Congratz to my fellow HoF players, shulec and WastinTime.

4. Htadus

Htadus A and L's dad

Thanks for a Great map KCD, but I must admit that it made AI too weak.

Wow Shulec, great job. Awsome religious date Z3. Congrats to all the winners and good luck next time for those who lost.

With all the excellent players out there, the medal and award races has climebed to a new height.

Tachy, I am quite certain your day will come soon. I have reviwed some of your HoF games and they are truly impressive. But the competition here is also truly serious. One map - One chance.

As for me, I need to fully embrace what i consider the Deity Eqalizer; The whip. I am going to feel dirty playing xOTM's (And HoF) now.

5. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

True that. Challenger save wasn't a good move after all. An early scout which never die on Epic Speed would have given me a good exploration and then decisions would have been easier. Early conquest or dom need good exploration.

Kill everybody < Vassalizes everyone indeed again. :lol:

Especially when Feudalism slingshot could've been possible on this particular map.

6. Rutseg

Rutseg Chieftain

Congratulations to all the winners!
    My game is not in the list and I remember having upload it. Nothing relevant about the score but I still think its nice to be in the list :p
    I guess if I did something wrong because it was my first submision, but for the WOTM it worked and I got a very nice low score shield which I appreciate a lot! haha

7. srad

srad Chieftain

Congratulations to the winners!

There are some outstanding finish dates: Jovan, jesusin, ZPV :clap:

1610AD without a cooperation but the 'good-old' hammer economy! :goodjob:

8. shulec

shulec Grrrrr... I AM the force! Hall of Fame Staff

Nicely played by many folks.

I decided to go religious for style points. I gave away ~10,000 pts avoiding domination, and almost gave away the bronze medal!

9. jesusin

jesusin Ant GOTM Staff

Nice map, great fun.

Congrats to the winners and a big thanks to those who shared their experience in the spoilers.

10. WelshGandalf

WelshGandalf Chieftain

Fun game, thanks! I think it was my highest ever score; quite pleased with it. One day I'll catch up with the champs...

Any chance of the starting position map?

11. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

Congrats to the winners. Amazing dates!

I thought my space date wasn't that bad when I finished, to have it blown away by 140 years by ZPV.... WOW!

Jovan, Jesusin, WastinTime..... all incredible dates.

12. Falabello

Falabello Chieftain

Indeed... In a first moment, two ambulances let anyone mad :gripe: and are a discouraging award :sad:. But I've already seen in another current XOTM (I don't remember which :think:), that one experienced player sad that he took a long time in order to win the harder levels :whew:... So, I guess it's too early to give up, and of course I'll improve my game reading the screenplay of the winners!

Thanks for your suggestion! :salute:

13. Deckhand

Deckhand Not so nice GOTM Staff

Yes - Thanks for submitting.
    I'm certain there were other losses where the player didn't bother finishing or submitting.

14. Ronnie1

Ronnie1 Chieftain

I also recommend reading some Succession Game threads (if you are not participating of course) for some of the best learning opportunities on this site!

15. Greeder

Greeder Chieftain

Oh guys you make me feel unhappy. How am I suppose to get any award when you are winning eons before my date? I had a little hope for medal when I saw results from last 10 BOTMs. But when I gain lost of points it means of course that masters can easily milk twice as much...
    Overall 14th out of 54 is not so bad. And I got highest score ever.

16. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

14th out of 54 is pretty good. You smashed me, I came 28th!

You win awards by reading the spoilers and learning. :)
    I can see that you are improving, keep up the good work.

17. -Asterix-

-Asterix- Chieftain

Congratz to all winners, this map was great for any kind of fast victory! :)

18. WelshGandalf

WelshGandalf Chieftain

I came 15th and wasn't expecting any award :p It felt a relatively easy map (with probably the best 2nd city site of all time) & I had great fun on it getting my highest score & one of my earliest finishes on it, but knowing the quality here I expected others would be able to do even better & so it proved.

19. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

I came 8th in terms of score (306210, 890AD) and if I knew how GOTM works (my first XOTM), I'd definetely milk the score. I only had -8gpt at 0% research and lot of gold with cities building troops and research. Or maybe I wouldn't liberate cities to my vassals :( Not to say that I had at least half of my army never see combat. And haven't played emperor for a year and didn't expect it to be so easy.

I could have made an impressive debut, but only achieved mediocrity :cringe:

Is there any competition in which you just have to win first cause it is very hard?
    And yes, is BOTM's let's say Immortal level generally easier than random game Immortal?

20. WelshGandalf

WelshGandalf Chieftain

There is an award available for the fastest finish for every victory condition so that is definately something you can aim for.
    It varies massively. Yes this was a relateively easy emperor game, and I even won a deity BOTM game before, as it was on islands not pangea, so that was easier than your typical deity game. Sometimes the organizers give us an easy map, sometimes a harder one, sometimes a rarely used map scripts, or sometimes just a fun one that has something different about it. The variety is one of the fun things about playing xOTM's. :)