News: BOTM 56 - Starts 16 July

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff

BOTM 56: Zara Yaqob vs the AIs

Game Details:

Yes, what better follow up to kcd_swede's superb idea last month could there be than to take a leader - say for the sake of argument, Zara Yaqob of the Ethiopians, and have you combat on his behalf against some deadly AI opponents. Has anything so dastardly been done before in a GOTM? To make things even harder, I set the game at - er - exactly the level that the schedule says we're due (Emperor) and had the map script generate a map (which I might or might not have slightly tweaked). Then I stole adapted kcd_swede's idea for the title of the game. I feel so proud of my own originality! :mischief:

Game settings:
Civilization: Zara Yaqob of Ethiopia
Rivals: 8 AIs
Difficulty: Emperor
Map: Fractal.
World Wrap: Cylindrical.
Mapsize: Standard
Starting Era: Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: No goody huts, no random events.
Victory Conditions: All enabled

Zara Yaqob of Ethiopia (Portugal):
You are Creative and Organized, and start with Hunting and Mining.

The Creative trait gives +2 culture/turn in each city, and double production speed of library and theatre.
The Organized trait cuts civic upkeep costs in half, and gives double production speed of courthouse, factory and lighthouse.

Unique unit: Oromo Warrior (replaces Musketman)
An oromo warrior has the same strength as a musketman, but has a first strike, is immune to first strikes, and starts with drill 1 and drill 2.

Unique building: Stele (replaces Monument)
The Stele is more potent than the monument at helping your culture: Not only does it give +1 culture/turn but also +25% culture.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Adventurer Class bonuses:
You play the game on monarch level (but the AI still has the same starting units as on contender).

Challenger Class Equalizers:
You play the game on immortal level (but the AI still has the same starting units as on contender, and the game will still score as an emperor game).

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 16 July 2012, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 16 August 2012.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Warlords or Civ4 vanilla), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Warlords or Civ4 vanilla), patched to version 3.19, and with the MacBUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the MacBUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

Good settler pump and eventually GP city. Too bad Zara doesn't start with fishing and it may be crowded with 8 AI.

I like creative even though it is one of the weaker traits. Big middle finger to SHenge. I hate building that wonder with non-industrious / non-charismatic leaders.

cas

Wait...why SH when you mainly plays OCC, cas?

--------------------------

Time to lose again and get stomped by those two freaks FOREVER. I'm so happy~~~nya!

Wait...why SH when you mainly plays OCC, cas?

Peaceful OCC I don't build it most of the time unless IND or CHA. Warmonger OCC sometimes I want the border expansion faster for forest chops combined with trying to pop a GProphet for bulbing Theo.

cas

Versus the AI's :eek: you are a cruel man DS :satan:

well for me it's pretty tough to decipher the "Game details" description... it could be lack of being native speaker, not understanding irony, sarcasm or combination of all...

is this supposed to be somewhat normal game with all options and no hardcoded all time wars, peace etc.?

Zara was one of mine preferred leaders back then since creative for cheap libraries and org for cheap courthouse is killer.

The start is meh for him though.

MMM! Just re-read DH-Epics excellent write up on synergy in the in game civolopedia. These traits seem to lend themselves to massively quick rex which could be a good thing on a crowded map. I guess the culture bonus and cheap theaters lend themselves to cultural victory too? Not my thing tho.. Did a cultural once just so I could say I had done all victories but its too technical and constricting for me and we have several cultural experts out there so ill leave it to them. Ill probably use the culture and cheap civics to try a dom/conq as apart from space race they are my favs. May go spacey if I have a decent tech lead and good production. Thats all assuming I dont get my butt kicked as emperor is right on the limit of my ability! Oh well we'll see how it pans out.. If we all ask really nicely ant chance we can have the start brought forward? dont wanna wait FIVE days! having to replay portal 2 at the mo as I have bugger all better to do.. PS if you havnt already go get it its excellent!

In place looks fine to me. Maybe 1E depending on what the scout sees. The capital will probably share some of that food - at least in the early game. As for research order, AH - fishing - BW feels like the natural choice here. Sailing is also probably a high priority, considering the abundance of seafood and cheap lighthouses.

8 AIs instead of the normal 6 means it's going to be slightly more crowded than a default game. Nothing compared to GOTM 71, though. That one had 10 AIs on a small map.

A leader with great traits! Settling E or W on a PH looks tempting even when loosing one fish.

Initial tech path could be difficult: AH, Fishing and BW are top priority.

If we all ask really nicely ant chance we can have the start brought forward? dont wanna wait FIVE days! having to replay portal 2 at the mo as I have bugger all better to do..

None at all I'm afraid. Besides the 'it's already been announced' factor, there are things that have to be done behind the scenes on GOTM games, which take time, plus we have to think about overlap with other games etc.

If you really have nothing to do for 5 days then - I'm insanely jealous :lol:

Scout SW-W. If he sees nothing from that hill, SIP. Otherwise settle PH 1W.

Yes, it is basically a normal emperor level game, but with more AIs than usual.

If we are lucky, that also means more unsuspecting AI workers nearby. :mischief:

I'm definitely going for a warrior (or 2!)/WB/WB before a worker. Initial techs should be Fishing/BW/AH.

Wow, 17 food surplus. And hills to spare too!

I must choose initial builds and techs carefully, as we have no improved hills till BW.
Also I must be careful and remember to explore the land around me, as I'll be tempted to build the 3 WB asap. An exploring WB is also in the plan.

Everything depends on the available land.

8 AIs.... hmmm...
C63 your advices sounds good. But I'll definitely build WB asap. And why PH? The only thing which could draw me from SIP would be a Deer nearby. Maybe I will even scout with Settler 1E looking for it.
With such a throng REX is crucial, and I'm not good at it.

I'll move the scout East or south east and settle 1E or in place if nothing interesting eastwards. I am not considering going west to remain in contact with the river.
As i am a disastrous warmonger, i'll turn this game to a cultural race, hoping to do a bit of city flipping along the way.
tech line: Fishing, BW, AH...
prod: Warrior, WB, WB...
Well, that's also above my prince usual difficulty level, but sounds fun anyway!

Wow, 17 food surplus. And hills to spare too!

I must choose initial builds and techs carefully, as we have no improved hills till BW.
Also I must be careful and remember to explore the land around me, as I'll be tempted to build the 3 WB asap. An exploring WB is also in the plan.

Everything depends on the available land.

You're right - we need a ton of hammers at the start. Definitely settling on one of the plains hills is a must.

I suspect the optimal build/tech path will look something like BW-Fishing->stuff, while growing to size 2, slow-building a worker, then whip+chop a pair of WBs. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Top Bottom