1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

News: BOTM 57 Results and Congratulations

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by kcd_swede, Sep 19, 2012.

1. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

BOTM 57: Ice Elation!!!

I am very pleased with the results. This was a hard game... in fact, I had to keep adding bonuses to the adventurer save just to be able to win it myself.;) So I knew this one would seperate the really good players from the crowd, and was not disappointed. A lot of losing games were submitted, and that proves we have good sports here, and the really good players still have lots to teach us. Thanks for all the write-ups of your games... it gives me a better idea how this game should be played (and gives me ideas on how to be even more evil next time).

First, here's where everyone settled. Interesting play by cas, winning an unofficial wanderer's merit badge. :folding:
    Spoiler :

All 3 of you who won a domination victory win a high score medal for your efforts.:goodjob: Mylene wins the Gold by a convincing margin, with the fastest domination victory award as well, where s/he outclassed all the competition by a large margin. :cool: sossos takes the silver medal with his excellent play. And bcool gets the bronze, but also gets a cow as consolation for missing top honors. Its not much, I know, but its something.:mischief:

Diplomatic victory had the most entries, and the honors for fastest diplo goes to zamint3 :king:

Tachywaxon submitted the only conquest victory, which is a most impressive feat on this map! :bowdown:

The fastest culture victory goes to deckhand...
    Spoiler :
    (no, just kidding, it goes to jesusin once again). :lol:

...and Conquistador63 beat the other civilizations to Alpha Centauri, which took a great deal of skill. :D

A big round of applause goes to all the victors, every win is impressive and can be learned from. Please, for the benefit of us mere mortals, share your Immortal BOTM 57strategy descriptions in the spoiler threads if you haven't already done so.:please:

BtS BOTM 57 Results:
    Summary of Medal Winners:

Mylene: 1680 AD Domination Victory, 174,969 points.

sossos: 1816 AD Domination Victory, 161,764 points.

bcool: 1864 AD Domination Victory, 128,869 points.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fastest Finish Award Winners:

Tachywaxon: 1919 AD Conquest Victory, 68,602 points.

zamint3: 1824 AD Diplomatic Victory, 62,445 points.

jesusin: 1775 AD Cultural Victory, 40,981 points.

Conquistador 63: 1916 AD Spaceship Victory, 36,631 points.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Award Winners:

adrianj: 1870 AD Diplomatic Victory, 35,847 points.

deckhand: 1921 AD Cultural Victory, 25,141 points.

WelshGandalf: 1974 AD Spaceship Victory, 19,099 points.

Jouzou: 1988 AD Spaceship Loss, 6,081 points.

cas: 1948 AD Cultural Loss, 1,244 points.

>> See the full results here.
    >> See the updated global rankings here.
    >> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
    >> Award symbols are listed here.

2. Mylene

Mylene Deity

Told you @Shaka, omg :)
    Thankies again kcd, some of the most funny hoops i went thru on your map.

3. WelshGandalf

WelshGandalf King

Yay, I got my shield, as well as being the latest and lowest-scoring victory :)

ROFL at cas settling position. I'm also amazed at his final score of 692 in 1948AD!!!

4. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

Congrats to all, this was indeed a tough game. You had to actively stop the AI winning peacefully, or just conquer them all of course.

5. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

Precisions?:confused:

6. Manco Capac

Wait a minute...I won the conquest medal! Whaaaaat? So much efforts in past games to be beaten relentlessly by the freaks duo and now playing without enthusiasm and I got it. Oh my.

What are evil_spock and Jovan_Kukic doing? This is too much of a coincidence they diverted from the usual dom/conquest. You two, speak up!

Shakabrade
    , I'm sure you would have a great result if you took the time to finish your game and that is the disappointing factor for me. But RL got you, so I can't blame.

7. jesusin

jesusin Ant GOTM Staff

Congratulations to all participants, this wasn't an easy map at all.
    I can even understand Cas' strategy of hiding in a corner and surviving to the end, unnoticed. ;)

Oh, yes, please all do.:agree:

Really? AIs haven't won before 1900AD, so we had plenty of time to win without bothering too much at what they were doing.

You're cruel, man!

8. Mylene

Mylene Deity

I will share more thoughts about my game later, when i go thru my log on results page ~~

9. evil_spock

evil_spock Chieftain

Congratulations to all winners. Shame that cas didn't win, that would have been epic :lol:.

It's a conspiracy...or I just started too late and didn't have time for any warmongering. If you check Jovan's award list, you'll probably find the reason for his VC (just a hunch). Anyway, that conquest is an awesome one, so :goodjob:, :king: and :cool: .

10. Greeder

Greeder Warlord

I'm not happy with my result at all (I'm repeating this map, and I'll be repeating it till I win :twitch::wallbash::dunno::aargh::ar15: ).
    Saying that... what?! 20 out of 37!?! It's almost like a victory :D
    KCD, this definitely was fun!

11. sossos

sossos King

OK, maybe I can share something that I still don't know in this game and hope somebody can teach me. I searched for the answer, but I didn't find.

1. I plan for diplomatic victory first because I saw a wonderful diplo victory in BOTM 56. However, I cannot find the 6th civilization. Even when I finally find him, I don't know whether the diplomatic victory is possible. He(Ottoman) is the No.2 but unknown to most AIs. I need to check the save of all diplo winners later.

2. Then I find that both Shaka and Ragnar have enough on hand. What does it mean? Are they gonna fight with each other? I settle on their continent immediately and send 11 knights. However, before I'm ready to attck, Shaka DOW on me and destroys my city with a legion of 30+ units. (His UU is soooo awful) How do you interpret this? Does AI change mind when he has enough on hand? Based on the mechanism, they should lock the target when they start to prepare for war. Right? Or does it mean that Shaka's target is me? Why a nation in another continent is chosen while Shaka and I are not even connected?

3. The last one is a question to the map maker. After I had eliminated Egypt/Maya/Russia, I found that my territory was slightly above 63% while totally occupying the two continents. Is it intentionally designed?

12. sossos

sossos King

Congratulation. Would you tell us how many transport ships were used to attack Ottoman, how many Ottoman units were killed and how many Ottoman cities were conquered? (sorry for the offense to Ottoman people)

It's interesting that I haven't seen any posts from Jovan before. Is he actually an AI? :confused:

13. kcd_swede

Njaaaa... not really intentional. It was the first random map I called up with the chosen settings. I didn't really modify it much at all... well unless you count all that ice it wasn't modified. ;) But I always check the domination limits of the easily available land just to know what it is and decide whether I want to leave it that way or not. I chose to leave it that way. (Maybe I'm lazy?).:lol:

14. sossos

sossos King

Thank you. Maybe it's written into the codes when the map is automatically generated. I just feel it's so weird.

15. srad

srad King

Congratulations! This was a tough (and interesting) map! :goodjob:

16. Manco Capac

Comments in blue.

Well, as far I remember, I had quite big armies on his coasts. I think over 50 units and perhaps more of infantries and artilleries along remaining cavalries (lol at sheer difference from Jovan's game. I'll come back to this subject later).
    IIRC, I had 7-9 UU I deemed useless to upgrade given the same load capacity and I founded a city on that green hill to ease a fast unload on Mehmed coast.

I conquered and razed lots of city before he bent to my power and had so many successes on my back. I looked through Jovan's game (he is not an AI, but just a very untalkative player) and the sheer differences plucked my eyes.
    Not only his late conquest was fast (I supposed he started late to prepare industrial warfare), but the world technological level was extremely lower than mine. Mehmed still had rifles and so the rest of the world around 1850 AD. That's nuts. My game saw infantries early and the world got it a bit fast. Mainly Shaka and Ragnar.

While Jovan was fighting his tanks against Mehmed's cavalries and riflemen, I fighted Mehmed's tanks, marines and infantries (and artillery) with my huge soldier mass of infantries and artillery.
    I wondered what happened to create such a difference, but losing liberalism as I did to Mehmed didn't help me.

Lastly, technically speaking, Jovan is the winner of the conquest, but some reason he resumed his game with a U.N. victory. That's weird.

17. sossos

sossos King

@Tachy

Thank you for the long paragraphs. It helped me to be more certain about the reason behind.

1st Q: It seems that no one has ever talked about that before if an expert like you don't know exactly. I think it can be easily tested. I'll check when I got time. <-----tested. Once the United Nation is completed, all civ automatically know each other.

2st Q: I think the only explanation is that their target is me. However, if I had not been connected with them, they would have always been preparing the war. The reasoning can be strengthened by the fact that Ragna prepared for thousands of years without DOW.

3st Q: Yes, I believe HOF players may have more experience on that. It might be a built-in scripts but not readable.

For your question, I think I know what happened between your game and Jovan's. The trick is whether you choose to hamper or encourage the tech trade between AIs.

If I'm gonna build more barriers, I'll check F4 every turn. If the AIs have any chance to trade, I'll do it first. I'll make the tech leader to go faster and the laggard slower.

If I'm gonna encourage AIs to trade, I'll trade to make every one at the same pace.

This is something you can control.

18. Jovan Kukic

Jovan Kukic Warlord

In my game Egypt was very advanced and strong. Egypt was also my main tech trading partner, and that made Egyptians even more advanced than other AIs. I used Mayan territory to launch massive attack against Russia, and the rear of their master, Egypt. That made my conquest so fast. My armies reached Mayan territory before war with Egypt. My armies which came later to that continent, were used to capture Thebes, and, little later, some other cities which are closer to my continent.
    I don't know if random would give me conquest or domination victory (I often had such situations in GOTMs, mostly in BtS).
    Evil_spock explained my main reason in some post above. I also noticed that I miss only one award to get eptathlon in BtS, so I supposed this was a good opportunity to get it. I very rarely tried to win diplomatically in BtS. Till this game I wasn't absolutely sure how it works in BtS, although I think that I probably won diplomatically in some of BtS games few years ago, but I can't remember.
    Anyway, I failed to get diplomatic award. My diplomacy tools were mostly bullets and bombs. Zamint3 was a better diplomat, so he won faster than me :)

19. sossos

sossos King

Wow, the last post was in June and this is the 4th post of Jovan YTD. Hurray!

20. kcd_swede

Actions speak louder than words. ;)